(A20) Server Side Vehicles

arramus

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This mod has been partially updated for A21. However, the feature which adds decorations to vehicles such as spikes to the 4x4 is not working as intended.
This has been reported as a potential bug (even though it is for modding) and we are awaiting a response or action on this. It will be released once resolved.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Modder Snufkin introduced an innovative technique to ornate existing vehicles with attachment models to give them a unique appearance.
In many cases, it went so far as to create new vehicles with experimental features and was released in a pack as Snufkin's Custom Vehicles Mod.
This was followed with a Community version which added more additions on top.

A20 saw numerous updates to the vehicle code, which limits conversion of many A19 vehicles from the previous server side only releases.
However, this A20 release can still combine some of the more popular vehicles from A19.

Download here: https://github.com/arramus/A20_ServerSideVehicles_2022Sept16

==========
INSTALLATION
==========
For Players and Server Admin/Hosts who have never installed a mod before, here are some simple step by step instructions:
1. If you've never installed a mod before, it is necessary to create a mod folder in the main directory, typically (\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die).
If you have a custom install or your server host has modified the installation location, then you may have to explore.

2. Simply make a new folder called Mods (with a capital M to reflect standard nomenclature) in your '7 Days To Die' main directory folder.

3. You can now drag the mod folder directly out of the zipped file and it can be placed directly into the Mods folder. However, there may be a top folder which you do not need. You are looking for a folder that contains a 'ModInfo' file. The folder holding that file will be the one you add to your Mods folder. If you add a folder above that nesting then the game will not be able to see the mod. The top layer will be a single folder and in the second layer you will see a ModInfo.xml file with or without additional folders depending on the mod. Clear instructions on this stage are not possible due to different types of unzip application and their methods. However, this will become elementary once you've launched a few mods.

Does this Mod need to be installed in the server/client host? = YES
Do players also need to install this Mod? = NO

The magic of this mod is that is only needs to be installed in the server/person who has launched the main environment that others join. Enjoy.

20220706220735_1.thumb.jpg.1a17657dada8b10e53225c09577bd74e.jpg

Apart from periodic issues with flying stability, and the noticeable lighting from hidden vanilla models on two of the vehicles, this selective few offers a highly functional mix. The current vehicle list, which is typically restricted by access to vanilla vehicles for their recipes, can be produced on the workbench.

Motorcycles:
Hell Beast (Snufkin)
Hell Fire (oakraven)
Hell Dog (oakraven)

Spider Bike (arramus)

Cars, Jeeps, Trucks, and Buses:
Hell Hound (oakraven)
Hell Spikey (oakraven)
Hell Car (Oakraven)

Magic Bus (Oakraven)

Flyers:
Whirligig (arramus / utilising Bdubyah's MD 500 helicopter settings)
Shark Blimp (oakraven)

Bicycle Base:
Sled (Snufkin)

Edited by arramus
Updating Motorcycle stability. (see edit history)

• arramus changed the title to (A20) Server Side Vehicles
15 hours ago, chikuwa said:

Thank you for the wonderful mod.
If I have a vehicle I want to delete, do I need to delete it from all the xml files? 

You only need to delete from the recipes.xml.

Admin can still access it from Creative Menu, but players cannot see it on the Workbench and cannot create it.

I shall double check that the files have not corrupted at their upload location...

The files are still intact.

vehicles.thumb.jpg.87aee1c256808c4aad216a19078720b3.jpg

Can you confirm that you can see this hierarchy of the folders:

The top level folder which is placed in the Mods folder is called 'A20_ServerSideVehicles_2021Dec09'?

If your top layer is called 'A20-ServerSideVehicles-2021Dec09' then you will find the 'A20_ServerSideVehicles_2021Dec09' inside it. The top layer folder is created by the upload host and will not be needed on the server.

If you have already removed the 'A20_ServerSideVehicles_2021Dec09' folder from the top layer holding folder and placed it in your Mods folder but are still seeing the ModInfo.txt error then we will need to investigate further.

Thanks for the mod, the vehicles are really cool and add a great aesthetic to the game. I was wondering how hard it is to put default motorcycle attributes on the custom bikes. The customs are WAY too fast and harder to control. They also cause load issues when everyone starts full speed zooming around the map. I understand it's a lot of xml editing but if someone could point me in the right direction maybe I can do it myself.

7 hours ago, cripplethreat10 said:

mine had a main folder then the mod. didnt notice. thank you. does it take a long time to load after putting this mod on? if so is it just first time or every time?

The first time you start up the game, it will take some time to load everything up for both default files and modded files. The difference between loading the default files and then this mod on top has been negligible from what I have experienced. Switching between MP servers and SP to use this mod does not see any additional heavy demand beyond what it standard.

6 hours ago, NeuroP said:

Does it also work in single player if I just add the mod to my game? I dont seem to see any new recipes in the game

It does work in Single Player and the recipes will appear on the Workbench. If the recipes are not appearing on your Workbench, check that the mod is not still nested in a holding folder that is made by the hosting company.

If your top layer is called 'A20-ServerSideVehicles-2021Dec09' then you will find the 'A20_ServerSideVehicles_2021Dec09' inside it. The top layer folder is created by the upload host and will not be needed on the server.

6 hours ago, CynicalGamer said:

Thanks for the mod, the vehicles are really cool and add a great aesthetic to the game. I was wondering how hard it is to put default motorcycle attributes on the custom bikes. The customs are WAY too fast and harder to control. They also cause load issues when everyone starts full speed zooming around the map. I understand it's a lot of xml editing but if someone could point me in the right direction maybe I can do it myself.

It will be quite an easy process because you will only need to make edits to one file. Here are the instructions:

To just change the speed to regular motorcycles.

1. Go to your vehicles.xml in the Config folder of the Mod.

2. Change <property name="velocityMax" value="15, 25"/> to <property name="velocityMax" value="9, 14"/> for the vehicleHellBeast, vehicleHellFire, and vehicleHellDog. Save and test.

To change all handling aspects back to regular motorcycles.

1. Go to your vehicles.xml in the main game directory. (Data > Config)

2. Copy the section of xml code from within  <vehicle name="vehicleMotorcycle"> to </vehicle> (No s at the end of that) and paste it over the same section of xml code for the three modded motorcycles. Save and test.

3 hours ago, wolverine576 said:

You are my new best friend! How do i make them craftable after 5/5 greasemonkey skill?

The mod will require a progression.xml file to be added to the Config folder with the connected xml code. And then each vehicle will require a Progression prompt with the associated greasemonkey skill linked to their items.xml.

For example, in Vanilla, the gyrocopter is locked by its parts as follows. The "UnlockedBy" value is the important feature. This can be found in the items.xml

<item name="vehicleGyroCopterChassis">
    <property name="Extends" value="vehicleWheels"/>
    <property name="EconomicValue" value="15000"/>
    <property name="UnlockedBy" value="perkGreaseMonkey,vehicleGyroCopterChassisSchematic"/>
</item>

<item name="vehicleGyroCopterAccessories">
    <property name="Extends" value="vehicleBicycleHandlebars"/>
    <property name="EconomicValue" value="15000"/>
    <property name="UnlockedBy" value="perkGreaseMonkey,vehicleGyroCopterAccessoriesSchematic"/>
</item>

The Server Side Vehicles mod also has the whole vehicle added to its own items.xml and would require the unlocked by value:

<item name="vehicleWhirligigPlaceable">
    <property name="Extends" value="vehicleMinibikePlaceable"/>
    <property name="Tags" value="vehicle,vengine,vfuel,canHaveCosmetic"/>
    <property name="CustomIcon" value="vehicleGyrocopterPlaceable"/>
    <property name="CustomIconTint" value="40,180,120"/>    
    <property name="Meshfile" value="#Entities/Vehicles?gyrocopter_Prefab.prefab"/>
    <property name="EconomicValue" value="50000"/>
    <property name="UnlockedBy" value="perkGreaseMonkey"/>
    <property class="Action1">
        <property name="Vehicle" value="vehicleWhirligig"/>
        <property name="VehicleSize" value="2.5, 2.5, 5.5"/>
    </property>
    <effect_group name="vehicleGyrocopterPlaceable" tiered="false">
        <passive_effect name="ModSlots" operation="base_set" value="4"/>
        <passive_effect name="ModPowerBonus" operation="base_add" value="300" tags="EconomicValue"/>
        <passive_effect name="DegradationMax" operation="base_set" value="3000"/>
    </effect_group>
</item>

where     <property name="UnlockedBy" value="perkGreaseMonkey"/> was added.

Then it needs to be linked to progression.xml with this for Skill Level 5 for perkGreaseMonkey:

<configs>
    <append xpath="/progression/perks/perk[@name='perkGreaseMonkey']">
        <effect_group>
            <passive_effect name="RecipeTagUnlocked" operation="base_set" level="5" value="1" tags="vehicleWhirligigPlaceable"/>
        </effect_group>
    </append>
</configs>

or if you wanted skill level 3 for say a motorcycle.

<configs>
    <append xpath="/progression/perks/perk[@name='perkGreaseMonkey']">
        <effect_group>
            <passive_effect name="RecipeTagUnlocked" operation="base_set" level="3,5" value="1" tags="vehicleHellBeastPlaceable"/>
        </effect_group>
    </append>
</configs>

They were added the way they are now just to piggyback off of the Vanilla vehicles since they are needed as part of the 'upgrade' process and feedback in the past was that the extra resources on top of requiring a whole vehicle was sufficient. But, every server has its own way and the above will allow you to lock them even further to both requiring a Vanilla vehicle and Grease Monkey 5.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having issues getting this uploaded to my rented server. When I extract it, there is an intermediate folder between the parent folder and the config/modinfo files. I tried extracting and repacking, but the server didn't like that. It gives the error "The given path's format is not supported". Not sure why, as its a rar file like the rest of the mods I've installed. This may be asking a lot, but is it possible for you to repackage the zip without that intermediate folder. Nothing I've tried is working, and the mods wont work on the server if there is that extra folder in there.

Thanks

Edited by Joshth24 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Joshth24 said:

I'm having issues getting this uploaded to my rented server. When I extract it, there is an intermediate folder between the parent folder and the config/modinfo files. I tried extracting and repacking, but the server didn't like that. It gives the error "The given path's format is not supported". Not sure why, as its a rar file like the rest of the mods I've installed. This may be asking a lot, but is it possible for you to repackage the zip without that intermediate folder. Nothing I've tried is working, and the mods wont work on the server if there is that extra folder in there.

Thanks

I could upload an alternative zip version and rar version which are already compressed and won't be further compressed by the host Github. Just need to click on the second (rar) version or third (zip) version within this link to open it in its own window. Then you'll see the download tab. Hopefully that will resolve it.

https://github.com/arramus/A20-ServerSideVehicles-2021Dec09

9 hours ago, arramus said:

I could upload an alternative zip version and rar version which are already compressed and won't be further compressed by the host Github. Just need to click on the second (rar) version or third (zip) version within this link to open it in its own window. Then you'll see the download tab. Hopefully that will resolve it.

https://github.com/arramus/A20-ServerSideVehicles-2021Dec09

That did the trick. Very much appreciate the effort. Loving the whirligig. 

One more quick question. I converted a bunch of our vehicles to the models from this mod. However, when you log out and back in, the vehicles look normal again until you pick it up and place it back down. Is that intended? Also, the dog on the sled model looks like its having as seizure when no one is on it.

13 minutes ago, Joshth24 said:

One more quick question. I converted a bunch of our vehicles to the models from this mod. However, when you log out and back in, the vehicles look normal again until you pick it up and place it back down. Is that intended? Also, the dog on the sled model looks like its having as seizure when no one is on it.

The models are given a decorative 'buff' to give their customised appearance. The buffs are added as you get closer to them. The buffs.xml checks that the buff is constantly being applied on a regular basis. If a converted vehicle has the model/decoration applied but not the update which keeps checking on them, then it can look like it isn't added until picked up and placed again.

However, even with the check to make sure they are updating, it can sometimes be finicky. This is especially true where a server is running a lot of other mods, has a lot of players, or is being pushed in any other way. It is intended that the vehicles will regularly check themselves to make sure the decorative buff is added but it is not always effective.

The dog usually just stands still but depending on the server, netcoding and syncing, things can go a bit odd at times. The origin of this mod was very experimental and pretty much a single player thing. It responded quite well online and was released for us all to have fun with. But yes, there are limitations that are a trade off to many of the fun and enhancing things.

56 minutes ago, arramus said:

The models are given a decorative 'buff' to give their customised appearance. The buffs are added as you get closer to them. The buffs.xml checks that the buff is constantly being applied on a regular basis. If a converted vehicle has the model/decoration applied but not the update which keeps checking on them, then it can look like it isn't added until picked up and placed again.

However, even with the check to make sure they are updating, it can sometimes be finicky. This is especially true where a server is running a lot of other mods, has a lot of players, or is being pushed in any other way. It is intended that the vehicles will regularly check themselves to make sure the decorative buff is added but it is not always effective.

The dog usually just stands still but depending on the server, netcoding and syncing, things can go a bit odd at times. The origin of this mod was very experimental and pretty much a single player thing. It responded quite well online and was released for us all to have fun with. But yes, there are limitations that are a trade off to many of the fun and enhancing things.

Understood. Its not a huge issue, was just curious if that was normal or not. Now I just need to figure out which mod is trashing our FPS during the nighttime. Appreciate the reply. 

1 hour ago, SketchFoxsky said:

Could we possibly get a Bus added? It would be really nice to have 1 vehicle to hold more than 4/5 people. Especially in large friend group servers.

Is this for servers that are running the expanded 'Party' mods that often allow 8 people to all join together? We'll see what vehicle options are available and acceptable. It may not look pretty as the A20 vehicles got a pretty big update but we'll see what remains.

@SketchFoxsky

Here is an update for the Server Side Vehicles:

https://github.com/arramus/A20-ServerSideVehicles-2022Jan20

The Magic Bus returns to A20 and has received a small upgrade.

As the image suggests, the Magic Bus can hold up to 9 players without the need for a seating mod.

This will accommodate larger communities, or servers that use the extended party mod that typically allows 8 players to 'party up'.
Players will need to enter the bus from the non driver's side via the sliding door. ^^

20220120121350_1.thumb.jpg.47aa22209a303361636f60741666812a.jpg

Player No.9 sitting in the last rear seat at the back of the bus.

20220120121320_1.thumb.jpg.e8d0358361f31c1d6368d464f842e9c8.jpg

The Magic Bus can still accept all vehicle mods, even though the seating mod will have no effect, and see the benefits they provide.
20220120104401_1.thumb.jpg.e9025c6fb5c49d6b29f79e90e6ae8547.jpg

Since only the Magic Bus and the Whirligig use non standard seating, players can see the seat count as they approach these vehicles.

20220120121425_1.thumb.jpg.e28c2e85653d662e2e9230905de2c3ea.jpg

As with A19, when the headlights are turned on, flames will appear from the front 'impalers'. Driving into a zombie will knock them over and set them on fire. There will be no XP gain for any eliminations using this method of zombie control.

20220120104323_1.thumb.jpg.f6ea3940302f221665f3ee81deedf6dd.jpg