A20 Dedicated server "INF [NM] DataReceived: bad!" messages spamming

funk

I've been able to start a dedicated server up, and "INF [NM] DataReceived: bad!" is spamming inside the console, and also I do not see my server listed in my game but I can see the server listed when I browse through the steam client server list.

Idk about the message spamming but I found the culprit of why my server isn't listed, actually that server in the steam list wasn't mine(someone with the same server name). The problem is 7 days to die dedicated server is binding to a network adapter that I have not port forwarded for. I thought it binds to all network adapters

I'm using Windows an I've tried ForcebindIP but that isn't compatible with 7daystodieserver. Guess I'll have to port forward for the adapter it automatically selects.

Edited by funk
mistake (see edit history)

4 hours ago, groggy said:

https://pastebin.com/Prhd7gF4

I can connect with my local IP but friends cannot connect externally 

Update:

I am still getting the error in the server log but friends are now able to connect. 

I will admit that part of the issue was that my verizon router ports 26900-26903 were set up for TCP instead of UDP

I'm having this EXACT same issue i think. I was port forwarding TCP/UDP but i can't seem to connect to it. We are hosting on a friend's computer, he can join, but me and the others cannot. We can see the server in list when he joins it, but when connecting we all just get a timeout. same log appearance

Same problem here

If i have steam networking enabled others can join, but ONLY if i am also in the server
The moment i'm off the server (or it's using LitenetLib instead of steam) it fails

LAN connections work, it's like it wants a different port to be used

I've done all i can to verify the port forwards are working, do we need anything more than 26900-26905 UDP?

Edited by mussels84 (see edit history)

From a pinned topic:

TCP

• 8080-8081 (ONLY if you plan to administer your server remotely.)
  • 8082 (If you are using Alloc's mods, this is for the web map.)

UDP

• 26900-26903

Required Ports for Steam

• To log into Steam and download content:
    • HTTP (TCP port 80) and HTTPS (443)
    • UDP 27015 through 27030
    • TCP 27015 through 27030

[*]Steam Client

• UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)
    • UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)
    • UDP 27031 and 27036 (incoming, for In-Home Streaming)
    • TCP 27036 and 27037 (incoming, for In-Home Streaming)
    • UDP 4380

[*]Dedicated or Listen Servers

• TCP 27015 (SRCDS Rcon port)

[*]Steamworks P2P Networking and Steam Voice Chat

• UDP 3478 (Outbound)
    • UDP 4379 (Outbound)
    • UDP 4380 (Outbound)

11 hours ago, Star69 said:

From a pinned topic:

TCP

• 8080-8081 (ONLY if you plan to administer your server remotely.)
  • 8082 (If you are using Alloc's mods, this is for the web map.)

UDP

• 26900-26903

Required Ports for Steam

• To log into Steam and download content:
    • HTTP (TCP port 80) and HTTPS (443)
    • UDP 27015 through 27030
    • TCP 27015 through 27030

[*]Steam Client

• UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)
    • UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)
    • UDP 27031 and 27036 (incoming, for In-Home Streaming)
    • TCP 27036 and 27037 (incoming, for In-Home Streaming)
    • UDP 4380

[*]Dedicated or Listen Servers

• TCP 27015 (SRCDS Rcon port)

[*]Steamworks P2P Networking and Steam Voice Chat

• UDP 3478 (Outbound)
    • UDP 4379 (Outbound)
    • UDP 4380 (Outbound)

Problem is, that the non-steam ones arent working

I have 26900-26905 forwarded (Have for a loooooooong time, hosting previous versions)
The only ports i've seen connect have been in the 2700 range, which only works when i was connected to the server via LAN (the moment i left, they got disconnected)
I'll see if they did something strange here and changed the required ports, and forward them too

I managed to get people to connect to my server by a really weird workaround

I had to use a Java program called Portmapper to force Upnp to work, as the game server somehow wouldnt bind to the forwarded ports any other way?
(Makes me wish the server had a UPNP option built in, tbh)

GitHub - kaklakariada/portmapper: A tool for managing port forwardings via UPnP

I can't explain why i needed it, as all my other port forwards work (including one to the same machine for a different program)

Edit: heres the log entry from my brother who couldnt connect with this fix... but the port used is totally wrong? (IP edited for privacy)

Server is set for 26900, but clients are connecting using a totally different range...

2021-12-10T20:54:49 29594.130 INF NET: LiteNetLib: Client disconnect from: 1**.1**.1**.1**:53052 

Edit 2: I may also be an idiot and have simply typod a port forward, and the games trying to use the steam ports instead of the default ones
Due to two routers here using different syntax for entering the port forwards, i'd told it to forward 26900 to 26905, instead of forwarding all 5
*facepalm*

hmm, I started seeing that too yesterday.  Server works, I can get in etc, but that was new.

(thought it was just from RAT as BCM doesn't work, so RAT has issues)

I'll have to fire up the server later and check the logs and see just when it started.

Edit:  from 17:21:02  to 17:35:48   on the 10th (EST), had the spam.

Right after server logon to steam as above.  Did NOT happen the day before.

just fired up the server, and nope, didn't happen today.

Edited by canadianbluebeer (see edit history)

Same here.
When I am in single player and invite friend everything is working.
When on the same machine want to setup Dedicated Server friend can not join even through steam invite. It is something strange with Dedicated server. Have no idea how to solve it.

Server is visible on the server list but all the time "connection time out"

Edited by Fair Player [PL]
more deatils (see edit history)

while its a PIA to see these warnings spamming...  it does not affect the game play at all. i think its an issue with steam info disconnecting with the private dedi.

to work around, just shut down and start back up OR  ignore it. when i run my private dedi i just ignore it and have not had any issue in relation to that warning.

it is  WIP and under investigation.

:)

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2021 at 2:06 PM, Fair Player [PL] said:

Ok, problem solved. Omfg 😕

Oh how I love when people tell us that they solved the problem, but not HOW ! XD

I have the same problem since today, how did you solve it? I opnened up every port, at least I think I did it correctly.

On 12/16/2021 at 5:22 PM, unholyjoe said:

while its a PIA to see these warnings spamming...  it does not affect the game play at all. i think its an issue with steam info disconnecting with the private dedi.

to work around, just shut down and start back up OR  ignore it. when i run my private dedi i just ignore it and have not had any issue in relation to that warning.

it is  WIP and under investigation.

:)

Sorry, not possible for me. I have the dedi server spit out these messages and I can't connect, either through LAN nor through internet

32 minutes ago, Doctor Jaeger said:

Anyone know how to solve that?!? I'm frustrated as f***!

Use a web-based port scanner to make sure all of the needed ports are open/forwarded. A list of the ports needed are listed above. Make sure your game folder is excluded from your antivirus/antimalware software. Be sure you don’t have any background software that monitors/adjusts network traffic like Asus Game First. If you still are having an issue after doing all of these things, start a new thread and post your server and client logs using pastebin.

Seeing your entire log would help but that error generally means that some of the data being sent/received is being blocked. Depending on if the error is in a client log or a server log will determine which advice is given to you. It's best if you start a thread for your own problem versus tagging on to someone else's thread. Use the pinned topic at the top of the forum for instructions on how to post your logs. Post a copy of a client log and a server log if possible and they should contain the error that you're seeing. The solution to your problem needs more info than just that single line of the error to diagnose your problem.

17 minutes ago, d3mo said:

anyone ever get a solution for this?

Or know why we're getting "INF [NM] DataReceived: bad!" while trying to connect to dedicated servers...?

i have a windows server that was running fine on A20.1 B5. i updated it to B6 today and starting getting spammed with the "INF [NM] DataReceived: bad!" error. i shut down my server, rebooted it, restarted the 7 Days server and no more errors. hope this helps someone.

• 2 months later...

I've been beating my head against this issue for a few weeks, the same server that is throwing this error has hosted 7d2d through various alphas but now even with 'everything default' dedicated server and the machine set as DMZ host in my router (a step that was previously unnecessary) it's still not working. Are there any dev threads on this issue that anyone can point me to?