The 7D2D Mod Launcher - A Mod Launcher for 7 Days to Die

sphereii

I'm not really sure if I'd be able to pull mac (or linux support into the launcher). All assumptions about pathing, permissions, and mod locations are somewhat different between the platforms.

No worries, thanks for letting me know. I'd be happy to help you in whatever way I can if you'd like to go through with a mac version in the near or distant future.

Some help needed for a new Mod Launcher user.

I watched and followed a few steps to get me started, My goal is to play the Starvation mod with the SMX Valmod design UI and the SMX Big Back Pack mod,

I Verified my steam 7dtd files, I chose the Starvation Mod and Installed game copy to the default directory which I believe was (C:\7DTD), then clicked Play Mod with the 'Refresh Mods Auto' checked. this worked fine, my problem and lack of knowledge comes to when trying to install more mods like the ones listed above.

I used the same precedure for both the UI and Big Bag mods as I did for Starvation but to no avail.

I did however notice that the launcher installed the both Mods in the (C:\7DTD\UI folder) and both from existing copies of the game- (C:\7DTD\Starvation\Starvationmod16 folder).

Not sure if this is correct or if I had to change this?

I'm not sure if I am to run each mod separate at first after installations or just install then just use the Play Mod for Starvation and the other mods are auto applied!? I did try to run each separately but got alot of red errors and game froze up so I shut it down.

Can someone please explain the correct precedure in detail ( step by step ) as I have been banging my head against this for over 6 hours and getting Nowhere fast.

There are a few vids on how to install a Big mod like WotW, and even how to install multiple Big mods and play each separately but I could not find an extension of those vids to explain how to add extra mods to accompany those.

Any help with this would be muchly appreciated as I'm fighting a losing battle....I so want it to work as it is an Awesome Mod tool!

No more manually drag/dropping files into the 7dtd directory.

Rakstelon - Dave

Edited by Rakstelon (see edit history)

Not all mods are compatible with one another, and the SDX mods such as Starvation are particularly incompatible with others, because they often modify the same DLL, so if you use say, the Starvation DLL, then overwrite it with the say, bigger backpack DLL, you lose the starvation features. There is at least one unofficial big backpack starvation dll though, but I'm not sure if it's on the launcher.

The bigger the mod, the more stuff it edits, so the less likely it'll play nicely with other mods.

Thanks for the reply Guppy,

I was thinking there may of been a compatibility problem, as I noticed that with for instance the War of the walkers mod had a big bag mod in the same section but the others are separate and in different sections.

Is there plans to add complimentary mods for starvation such as the big bag mod, UI mods etc..?

I thought I watched an old episode of one of Games4Kicks Starvation games which had these or similar mods installed, which is why I thought of trying to combine them.

But, I understand, maybe future versions of the launcher may have more options for this Mod.

Thankyou and keep up the great work on the Launcher.

Thanks for the reply Guppy,

I was thinking there may of been a compatibility problem, as I noticed that with for instance the War of the walkers mod had a big bag mod in the same section but the others are separate and in different sections.

Is there plans to add complimentary mods for starvation such as the big bag mod, UI mods etc..?

I thought I watched an old episode of one of Games4Kicks Starvation games which had these or similar mods installed, which is why I thought of trying to combine them.

But, I understand, maybe future versions of the launcher may have more options for this Mod.

Thankyou and keep up the great work on the Launcher.

I'm terribly sorry for missing your question yesterday, and thank you, Guppycur for answering in my absence.

Adding complimentary mods are done as-requested, usually by either the players, or from the modders. Typically, if I see a combination that can be done safely, without adversely affecting the base mod, I'll make an entry for it. Such things would be adding CompoPack as an option, or a UI, if no UI is in the base mod.

For larger, more complicated builds, I usually avoid that and leave it to the modders themselves. These mods are so big, they cannot be easily merged with any other mod, and must instead be supported in the base mod.

For Starvation specifically, they have resisted the call for a larger backpack, as they feel it goes against what their mod represents. That will always be respected. They have mentioned they may look into it in the future, but nothing concrete. Similarly, the UI is very custom for Starvation and is incompatible with any other UI. If you plop SMX in there, then the custom workstations will stop working, and other odd things will happen.

Hi Sphereii,

Thankyou for getting back to me, I can see the direction the Starvation team wanted to take and totally understand why they would want to keep it as it is, it certainly puts you on tender hooks as soon as you start, I died 3 times just going to the first trader, damn rhinos and hyenas Lmao.

I've decided to give it a play through anyways, I have played numerous Vanilla games and WotW so now my goal is to play not only Starvation but maybe a Valmod Overhaul at some point.

We players are now very spoilt when it comes to 7DTD game options and the Mod Launcher makes it even easier to get set up, I would/will recommended it to all 7DTD players.

Keep up the awesome work on the Launcher! and to all the modders, keep your ideas coming, you are all doing great work!

Thankyou

Hi Sphereii,

Thankyou for getting back to me, I can see the direction the Starvation team wanted to take and totally understand why they would want to keep it as it is, it certainly puts you on tender hooks as soon as you start, I died 3 times just going to the first trader, damn rhinos and hyenas Lmao.

I've decided to give it a play through anyways, I have played numerous Vanilla games and WotW so now my goal is to play not only Starvation but maybe a Valmod Overhaul at some point.

We players are now very spoilted when it comes to 7DTD game options and the Mod Launcher makes it even easier to get set up, I would/will recommended it to all 7DTD players.

Keep up the awesome work on the Launcher! and to all the modders, keep your ideas coming, you are all doing great work!

Thankyou

Thank you for your kind words.

The mods available run the gamut of making exploring and levelling top priority, to slowing progression to a crawl, or even turning everything you know about a world and burying it. Some mods are traditional, while others offer a completely new experience.

There's so many creative people on the forums, and I wish you luck on discovering all the mods that challenge your play style.

Thank you for your kind words.

The mods available run the gamut of making exploring and levelling top priority, to slowing progression to a crawl, or even turning everything you know about a world and burying it. Some mods are traditional, while others offer a completely new experience.

There's so many creative people on the forums, and I wish you luck on discovering all the mods that challenge your play style.

Thanks Sphereii,

I've installed and played WotW quite abit but decided to take a break from that and try the Valmod/Compopack + bigger bag.

Absolutely loving it atm, Bigger bag is a nice comprimise between the vanilla size and the 72 slot bag, works well. All the new recipes and skills blocked by perk points are doing my head in, trying to learn them + sorting a priority list of things to go for to give me a good start, but I wouldn't change a thing, no challenge = bored after a few hours (if you're looking for something different).

Would you recommend any particular Expansion mod?

I have played Vanilla, Wotw, just started starvation and Valmod (switching between the 2 as starvation is being cruel to my start lol)

I really do like the class systems, and new recipes/work stations.

I haven't really looked into the other mods like Ravenhearst and True Survival, why I'm asking for recommendations.

keeping it as one big surprise and not knowing whats around the next corner, is the only way to play IMO.

I solely play SP games but may venture into a PVE MP game at some point.

Rakstelon - Dave

Thanks Sphereii,

I've installed and played WotW quite abit but decided to take a break from that and try the Valmod/Compopack + bigger bag.

Absolutely loving it atm, Bigger bag is a nice comprimise between the vanilla size and the 72 slot bag, works well. All the new recipes and skills blocked by perk points are doing my head in, trying to learn them + sorting a priority list of things to go for to give me a good start, but I wouldn't change a thing, no challenge = bored after a few hours (if you're looking for something different).

Would you recommend any particular Expansion mod?

I have played Vanilla, Wotw, just started starvation and Valmod (switching between the 2 as starvation is being cruel to my start lol)

I really do like the class systems, and new recipes/work stations.

I haven't really looked into the other mods like Ravenhearst and True Survival, why I'm asking for recommendations.

keeping it as one big surprise and not knowing whats around the next corner, is the only way to play IMO.

I solely play SP games but may venture into a PVE MP game at some point.

Rakstelon - Dave

Valmod + Compo Pack is a really good play through, as is the War of the Walkers.

For something different, True Survival is fairly unforgiving. It's a very hard mod.

Ravenhearst is a beast of an SDX mod; lots of new content, lots of zombies; it's challenging.

If you are looking for a really big change of pace, for some short play throughs, take a look under sphereii-mental section at Valoween ( Valmod + stuff ) and the Winter Project, which is ComSens Mod plus stuff.

Thanks again Sphereii for the quick reply,

I've written those down for future play throughs.

Valmod is very interesting, Played thru to 4.30am this morning after installing it, tbh I really didnt want to go to bed but after head butting my keyboard from knodding off, I gave in lmao, first time for everything:)

Just read through the true survival thread, damn thats some work.

Peaked my interest indeed..but after Valmod.:smile-new:

PS- Subscribed to this thread, I like prompt, friendly modders, imo the 7dtd community is probably the friendliest I have come across in 10 years of gaming!

Been using mod launcher for a while without any issues until today and well I'm stuck. Tried continuing to play Wotw and game wouldn't load, tried continuing Valmod Overhaul and wouldn't load, recently downloaded Gnamod Horde and Tin's Dying Lands and that wouldn't load either - all stuck on the loading screen in 7DtD. Meanwhile vanilla 7DTD loads fine direct from Steam. Only change to my system was updating W8.1 x64 display drivers for PUBG to 388.71, even then I used DDU to clean and reinstall, may or may not be related to the previous page error log with driver update but thought to mention it anyway.

Deleted mods/downloads from launcher, cleaned out 7DTD completely (bye to saves/profiles, etc), re-installed 7DTD, installed mod launcher again, in mod launcher I copied existing game folder for Wotw (presynced with fresh mods, update reg, and local saves ticked) and first launch is fine but second launch always sticks on loading. Each time I clean out a mod and reinstall it loads the first time but second time it doesn't load.

Love the launcher I hope its something I missed on my end, here are the logs:

launcher log - https://pastebin.com/6hcmLLa2

output_log (NullReferenceException spam) - https://pastebin.com/6095EJCD

Been using mod launcher for a while without any issues until today and well I'm stuck. Tried continuing to play Wotw and game wouldn't load, tried continuing Valmod Overhaul and wouldn't load, recently downloaded Gnamod Horde and Tin's Dying Lands and that wouldn't load either - all stuck on the loading screen in 7DtD. Meanwhile vanilla 7DTD loads fine direct from Steam. Only change to my system was updating W8.1 x64 display drivers for PUBG to 388.71, even then I used DDU to clean and reinstall, may or may not be related to the previous page error log with driver update but thought to mention it anyway.

Deleted mods/downloads from launcher, cleaned out 7DTD completely (bye to saves/profiles, etc), re-installed 7DTD, installed mod launcher again, in mod launcher I copied existing game folder for Wotw (presynced with fresh mods, update reg, and local saves ticked) and first launch is fine but second launch always sticks on loading. Each time I clean out a mod and reinstall it loads the first time but second time it doesn't load.

Love the launcher I hope its something I missed on my end, here are the logs:

launcher log - https://pastebin.com/6hcmLLa2

output_log (NullReferenceException spam) - https://pastebin.com/6095EJCD

Sorry for the trouble. The output_log pastebin.com link seems to be set to private, so I cannot view it.

Sorry for the trouble. The output_log pastebin.com link seems to be set to private, so I cannot view it.

My apologies, my account seems to have defaulted to private, you can view it now.

Additionally, I again used your launcher to install a mod but this time once it installed I then launched 7DaysToDie directly from the folder and it doesn't stick on loading, mod works fine.

Additional launcher mod log (output log in Gnamod, launching directly, for testing was normal) - https://pastebin.com/y5rWznMt

My apologies, my account seems to have defaulted to private, you can view it now.

Additionally, I again used your launcher to install a mod but this time once it installed I then launched 7DaysToDie directly from the folder and it doesn't stick on loading, mod works fine.

Additional launcher mod log (output log in Gnamod, launching directly, for testing was normal) - https://pastebin.com/y5rWznMt

Can you uncheck "Save All Games Local to Mod", and blank out the "Additional Command LIne Parameters...", and try again?

Can you uncheck "Save All Games Local to Mod", and blank out the "Additional Command LIne Parameters...", and try again?

Sure, 'additional command line parameters' field was already empty and unticked 'save all games local to mod', but no change to my issue launching through mod launcher, only when I launch directly from folder location does it work. Afterwards unticked the other options: 'update registry' and 'refresh mods automatically' then tried enabling 'run game as admin' but no change.

Tried something a bit different with new mod install; ticked 'refresh mods automatically' and 'update registry' leaving save all games local to mod' unticked and also not even pre-syncing the mod, success at launching the game normally! Kinda weird but I'll settle for that, thanks for kindly helping to narrow it down Sphereii :)

Isolated save location per mod

Hey Sphereii

First of all: thank you for the MOD Launcher. excellent job on this one, it helps so much when playing different mods.

I just started recently in basic modding my 7d2d - mostly for myself and my friends, since i'm not yet experienced in how to do certain things.

now i have tried several changes to the .xml files and saved them seperately (one is totally OP, another is not etc.)

i now have problems, because they all seem to use the same save location and the game completely ignores the fact, that i have seperated the modded copies of the game. since i have to test my changes all the time and sometime have to have a save for each mod-approach i now need more than 4 saves to test and also play the game.

your MOD Launcher has this nice feature:

From 1.0.3.19:

* Minor Tweaks to improve downloads in corner cases

* Added experimental "Save All Games Local To Mod" - Isolate and load your saves per mod!

Could you tell me how i could not only seperate the game itself, but also seperate the saves for each of my modded game instances?

maybe this would be helpful for others as well :)

Hope you understand my poor english :p

Kind Regards

Jeffreyzah

Hey Sphereii

First of all: thank you for the MOD Launcher. excellent job on this one, it helps so much when playing different mods.

I just started recently in basic modding my 7d2d - mostly for myself and my friends, since i'm not yet experienced in how to do certain things.

now i have tried several changes to the .xml files and saved them seperately (one is totally OP, another is not etc.)

i now have problems, because they all seem to use the same save location and the game completely ignores the fact, that i have seperated the modded copies of the game. since i have to test my changes all the time and sometime have to have a save for each mod-approach i now need more than 4 saves to test and also play the game.

your MOD Launcher has this nice feature:

From 1.0.3.19:

* Minor Tweaks to improve downloads in corner cases

* Added experimental "Save All Games Local To Mod" - Isolate and load your saves per mod!

Could you tell me how i could not only seperate the game itself, but also seperate the saves for each of my modded game instances?

maybe this would be helpful for others as well :)

Hope you understand my poor english :p

Kind Regards

Jeffreyzah

The Mod Launcher generates a small serverconfig.xml, and passes the --configfile=SaveConfig.xml parameter to it, when you click on Save All Games Local To Mod. Inside this SaveCOnfig.xml is just this:

<ServerSettings>
     <property name="SaveGameFolder" value="C:\7D2D\Saves\Sphereii-mental\WinterProject" />
</ServerSettings>

Hope this helps!

Hey, so, I am having some issues with the launcher. Not sure if anyone else has run into this, but when I try to set up more than one mod, and switch back and forth between them, it ends up doing very weird things with the temp files. Sometimes writing from one mod onto another, and repeatedly breaking even the base game folder, requiring a total wipe and reinstall. Anyone know what on earth is going on with that?

Hey, so, I am having some issues with the launcher. Not sure if anyone else has run into this, but when I try to set up more than one mod, and switch back and forth between them, it ends up doing very weird things with the temp files. Sometimes writing from one mod onto another, and repeatedly breaking even the base game folder, requiring a total wipe and reinstall. Anyone know what on earth is going on with that?

Hmm, that is definitely strange. Let's see if we can get you sorted out.

Are you using Simple or Advanced mode? Could you post the log files of the launcher? Click on the View menu, then click on Log Files. Click on Upload Log File and pass me the pastebin.com link.