The 7D2D Mod Launcher - A Mod Launcher for 7 Days to Die

sphereii

Sphereii

I have a question on changing the xml. Total computer dummy, or a complete idiot about computers. LOL I am planning on downloading the WotW and will use the 7 days launcher. What I want to know is, I hate, really hate the stupid bears, in a15 my son modded them to attack only zombies for me. In a16 I uninstalled 7 days, wiped everything and then reinstalled the game. I haven't yet updated to stable because I can't play the game for a while, shoulder still healing from surgery. Unless I can use the Steam controller.

I would like to mod the bears the same in the WofW mod, and maybe replace, delete, or whatever is needed to not have the irradiated zombies. Can that be done, will it create problems in updates? If they make more changes to a16.4 to a new stable would I have to go into the xml files (or whatever they are) and have them changed again?

Not sure if it is possible to do, so decided to ask.

You have three options:

Option #1:

The Mod Launcher will keep you up to date, and over-write any changes you make. However, you can disable the Refresh Mods Automatically, and make all your changes in the "TempMods" folder instead. This will make more sense when you install the mod.

Option #2:

You could use the Mod Launcher once, to create the folder, download and install the game (needs to hit Play once). Then make your changes as you normally would, and just launch 7daystodie.exe in the new folder, rather than using the Mod Launcher.

Option #3: (more advanced)

Edit the XML that you normally do to remove the bears. Then host the file somewhere, like pastebin.com (never expire). We can than make you a personal configuration, that only you see, that will keep all your files up to date with dwallorde puts out, but your change in that other file will overwrite his, every time. So if you remove the entries in entityclasses.xml, you'll use your own entityclasses.xml, but all his other files. This would be using the "My Mod" functionality in the launcher.

For the steam controller, I'd recommend adding the 7d2dmodlauncher.exe to steam, as a non-steam game. Then, launch Steam in Big Picture mod, and start the Mod Launcher. Your modded games will use your Steam controller (wife uses one).

Quick question. In regard to the launcher, do I need to run it every time I want to run the mod, or can I use it once then just continue to use 7DtD normally?

The reason I ask is the boot time is reaaaaally slow!

I launch the Mod Loader, select my mod (I'm currently using the Starvation one), I click the Play Mod option at the top right and it starts copying files. This can take up to a minute or so (I'm on a standard HD) it then launches the game, which also takes about twice as long as the vanilla game does.

In terms of options, I have "Refresh Mods Automatically" / "Disable UNET" / "Update Registry" .. these were set automatically barring the UNET one which most of the tutorials recommended turning off.

Am I being an idiot here, is the launcher only to keep mods up to date, and every time I "Play Mod" from that app it copies the data it needs from the main 7DtD folder when it doesn't need to (as it was there the previous time the mod was run)?

In fact other than using it as a front end for the mods, and it's certainly useful if perhaps needing a little front end graphical magic, it does what I need it to do so this is not a complaint, just a question.

TL;DR? - Do I need to use the mod launcher every time I run a mod or can I run the mod (once download/updated by the mod launcher) just by launching 7DtD - perhaps with a command line to the mod data copied by the launcher.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ricp (see edit history)

Quick question. In regard to the launcher, do I need to run it every time I want to run the mod, or can I use it once then just continue to use 7DtD normally?

The reason I ask is the boot time is reaaaaally slow!

I launch the Mod Loader, select my mod (I'm currently using the Starvation one), I click the Play Mod option at the top right and it starts copying files. This can take up to a minute or so (I'm on a standard HD) it then launches the game, which also takes about twice as long as the vanilla game does.

In terms of options, I have "Refresh Mods Automatically" / "Disable UNET" / "Update Registry" .. these were set automatically barring the UNET one which most of the tutorials recommended turning off.

Am I being an idiot here, is the launcher only to keep mods up to date, and every time I "Play Mod" from that app it copies the data it needs from the main 7DtD folder when it doesn't need to (as it was there the previous time the mod was run)?

In fact other than using it as a front end for the mods, and it's certainly useful if perhaps needing a little front end graphical magic, it does what I need it to do so this is not a complaint, just a question.

TL;DR? - Do I need to use the mod launcher every time I run a mod or can I run the mod (once download/updated by the mod launcher) just by launching 7DtD - perhaps with a command line to the mod data copied by the launcher.

Thanks in advance.

You could run the 7daystodie.exe directly in the new folder that the Mod Launcher creates. So after the first time you hit Play, you could just run the exe itself. It won't disable UNET, or update any of your files.

However, the Mod Launcher is not significantly slowing down your loading. It does a check to see if there's new files, and will download new ones as it needs.

Some mods, like Starvation, are slow to load because of all the new content they added, and there's no way around it. Starvation adds over 700 megs of content to the game, and it takes time to load it all up.

As soon as you hit the Play button, and the black screen starts showing, then it's all game, and does not involve the Launcher at all. I understand the frustration with slow loading times; I experienced them as well, even when I'm using a solid state drive.

You could run the 7daystodie.exe directly in the new folder that the Mod Launcher creates. So after the first time you hit Play, you could just run the exe itself. It won't disable UNET, or update any of your files.

However, the Mod Launcher is not significantly slowing down your loading. It does a check to see if there's new files, and will download new ones as it needs.

Some mods, like Starvation, are slow to load because of all the new content they added, and there's no way around it. Starvation adds over 700 megs of content to the game, and it takes time to load it all up.

As soon as you hit the Play button, and the black screen starts showing, then it's all game, and does not involve the Launcher at all. I understand the frustration with slow loading times; I experienced them as well, even when I'm using a solid state drive.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Ok, so, before the black screen of 7DtD loading, I get about 20-30 seconds of hard drive use accompanied with this output..

https://i.imgur.com/vKpwOGS.png

If this is the way it should be then cool, but it seems to repeat this copying process every time. Just wondering if that is normal.

Yes, it re-verifies the files, and copies them over again, just in case of any potential corruption.

Mod Launcher Help

Hey people,

Need some help on the mod launcher, one of the mods wont play, or delete, or do anything its just stuck on the same page. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the lanucher and deleted the files but it is still stuck. and when i click delete mod it doesnt do anything?

can anyone shed some light on what might be going on?

Thanks

Whenever I try and connect to my boyfriends p2p game it is saying I cant join because the server is using 16.3 but he is using 16.4 and vice versa. This is when loading WotW thru the mod launcher. If we swap it gives him the exact error as it gives me. If we load into the game in the upper right hand corner our games both say 16.4. If I look at the patch area inside of the mod launcher it shows patch 16.3 in both of our launchers. Any ideas on this one?

Can you try to run the 7d2dmodlauncher.exe as an Administrator, and seeing if that helps?

I can't find that file. I downloaded a 7D2DLauncher.application, which downloads and installs the "7D2D Launcher" desktop app. It never asks for an install path, and the desktop shortcut doesn't provide an option to run as administrator, and ctrl-shift-clicking it doesn't bring up the UAC window, so, presumably, it isn't running as administrator.

I can't find that file. I downloaded a 7D2DLauncher.application, which downloads and installs the "7D2D Launcher" desktop app. It never asks for an install path, and the desktop shortcut doesn't provide an option to run as administrator, and ctrl-shift-clicking it doesn't bring up the UAC window, so, presumably, it isn't running as administrator.

Gotcha. Here's the link the exe: https://7d2dlauncher.blob.core.windows.net/installer/7D2DModLauncher.exe

This just calls the application's OneClick program, and will allow you to add it to Steam, and run as Administrator. Give that a try. You can copy the file anywhere, and run it. It'll use your previously installed 7D2DLauncher.application too.

Gotcha. Here's the link the exe: https://7d2dlauncher.blob.core.windows.net/installer/7D2DModLauncher.exe

This just calls the application's OneClick program, and will allow you to add it to Steam, and run as Administrator. Give that a try. You can copy the file anywhere, and run it. It'll use your previously installed 7D2DLauncher.application too.

That didn't help. I've downloaded it, changed it to Run as Administrator on the Compatibility tab, and run it.

Let me be clear about what I'm doing:

1. Start 7D2D Mod Launcher

2. Click the Browse for Folder icon on Destination Folder, and change it from C:\7D2D to D:\GAMES\7D2D

3. Exit

4. Start 7D2D Mod Launcher again

I expected Destination Folder to be pointing to D:\GAMES\7D2D, but it is pointing to C:\7D2D again. I have installed mods on D:\GAMES\7D2D, and they are there. Once I change the destination folder, they show up again.

One thing I don't think I ever did was to actually start any of the mods, as I'm waiting for them to update to 16.4.

Hello, SphereII. :)

I have 1 report and 1 question.

Report:

I'm not sure whether intended or not but, "Test Mod Sync" doesn't work when Refresh Mod Automatically is unchecked.

Question:

If I use Clone mode for download, can I add "Excludes" or additional "Downloads"?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for cool launcher.:)

That didn't help. I've downloaded it, changed it to Run as Administrator on the Compatibility tab, and run it.

2. Click the Browse for Folder icon on Destination Folder, and change it from C:\7D2D to D:\GAMES\7D2D

3. Exit

I expected Destination Folder to be pointing to D:\GAMES\7D2D, but it is pointing to C:\7D2D again. I have installed mods on D:\GAMES\7D2D, and they are there. Once I change the destination folder, they show up again.

One thing I don't think I ever did was to actually start any of the mods, as I'm waiting for them to update to 16.4.

They are almost all updated to Alpha 16.4, except True Survival, which is on Alpha 16.2. Try to play one of the mods, and see if there's just weird delay in writing the settings to disk (it is getting saved as soon as you hit the Okay button when you change the Destination.

Hello, SphereII. :)

I have 1 report and 1 question.

Report:

I'm not sure whether intended or not but, "Test Mod Sync" doesn't work when Refresh Mod Automatically is unchecked.

Question:

If I use Clone mode for download, can I add "Excludes" or additional "Downloads"?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for cool launcher.:)

Test Mod Sync downloads the Mods into the TempMods folder. The Play button does the same thing, but launches the game right after. Since some people have been having trouble downloading from Github, I recommend pressing Test Mod Sync first, so that they can see the errors, if there are any, before just starting the game.

The Refresh Mod Automatically skips re-downloading. This is for people who want to make changes to the mod, without re-downloading fresh ones. If you are limited on bandwidth, or want a consistent play base (streamers, Let's Plays, etc), then you'd also disable this.

The Excludes function is hooked into the Play's Copy task, rather than the download task. So while it will download the excluded files under TempMods, it just won't copy them over.

I downloaded the launcher and followed the instructions but when click the "Play Mod" button after install, it's only playing Vanilla.

Okay, so it sounds like it didn't download the mod. Be sure to have Refresh Mods Automatically checked.

That could indicate a few issues:

Click on Disable SSL, restart the Mod Launcher, and try again

If that fails, click on Direct Download, and press Test Mod Sync. Then play.

Okay, so it sounds like it didn't download the mod. Be sure to have Refresh Mods Automatically checked.

That could indicate a few issues:

Click on Disable SSL, restart the Mod Launcher, and try again

If that fails, click on Direct Download, and press Test Mod Sync. Then play.

Thank you Sphereii. Will try that shortly

edit: Yay, this worked. Thank you. Will sort my GF's out now and play the game. I did get an "ooops" error but that just seems to be an Alpha 16 thing.

Edited by iz2tricky (see edit history)

3. Exit

QUESTION ...... Have you set the top selection .... TO "ADVANCE" ........ if it is on "Simple" it will go to "C/Drive by default ...... You need it it on Advance to change folder location .... ANYWAY that is the way I had to do on my 4 HD gaming system. Just a Thought

Thanks a trillion for this app!

I have a question. Is there a difference whether I manually downgrade 7d2d in Steam before launching mod launcher to play a mod that is not up to date with the most current vanilla version?

For example: True Survival mod is only at 16.2 but vanilla game is at 16.4. Should I manually downgrade the game in Steam to 16.2 before launching True Survival with mod launcher? I ask because I usually do this, but once I forgot to do this and left vanilla on 16.4, but noticed the game registered correctly at 16.2 when I launched the mod with mod launcher. Does mod launcher automatically downgrade the game to the proper version problem-free or is it still better to get in the habit of manually downgrading the game before playing with an older version mod? Thank you.

Thanks a trillion for this app!

I have a question. Is there a difference whether I manually downgrade 7d2d in Steam before launching mod launcher to play a mod that is not up to date with the most current vanilla version?

For example: True Survival mod is only at 16.2 but vanilla game is at 16.4. Should I manually downgrade the game in Steam to 16.2 before launching True Survival with mod launcher? I ask because I usually do this, but once I forgot to do this and left vanilla on 16.4, but noticed the game registered correctly at 16.2 when I launched the mod with mod launcher. Does mod launcher automatically downgrade the game to the proper version problem-free or is it still better to get in the habit of manually downgrading the game before playing with an older version mod? Thank you.

There's two ways you can do it:

1) Downgrade the version in Steam, then get the Mod Launcher to create it. Then, change the Steam version back to normal.

-or-

2) Use the Download From Steam option in the Mod Launcher. You will need to enter in your Steam username and password, plus your Steam Guard code. Then it'll sync directly from steam, at the right version.

They are almost all updated to Alpha 16.4, except True Survival, which is on Alpha 16.2. Try to play one of the mods, and see if there's just weird delay in writing the settings to disk (it is getting saved as soon as you hit the Okay button when you change the Destination.

SMX isn't updated yet, and I wonder if all these mods with the big backpack are truly working on 16.4 or not, given that. Also, no 16.4 under TFP.

I've tried starting a number of mods, but upon exiting and restarting 7D2D Mod Launcher, the destination folder configuration is still being lost.

There's absolutely no delay when clicking Ok when changing destination folder. I'm not sure I'd notice any delay, though.

SMX isn't updated yet, and I wonder if all these mods with the big backpack are truly working on 16.4 or not, given that. Also, no 16.4 under TFP.

I've tried starting a number of mods, but upon exiting and restarting 7D2D Mod Launcher, the destination folder configuration is still being lost.

There's absolutely no delay when clicking Ok when changing destination folder. I'm not sure I'd notice any delay, though.

Bigger backs may not be updated, but the XML mods are good.

You had mentioned you aren't using any anti-virus or anything? That's usually what blocks the saving. On the first post of this thread, there's a Release.zip download option. You could give that a try.

• Crater Creator changed the title to The 7D2D Mod Launcher - A Mod Launcher for 7 Days to Die