Multiplayer Feedback - not scaling correctly for cooperative play

Grimbold

I play with a constant group of players in a cooperative environment and we are finding the game is not scaling properly.  Perhaps we are outliers because we work together but playing on Nomad levels and above, we are finding the game rather easy.  Even horde nights where we have the maximum zombies set for 200 are not challenging.  As a group of 4-6, we generally have a forge and cement mixer by day 2 and a reinforced steel base by our first horde night.  We love the game but we're now playing at 25% experience level with no guns allowed to try to give ourselves more of a challenge.  Surely something can be done?  If 2 or 3 people are grouped together, can the number of zombies in POIs be doubled?  Multiple zombies are far more dangerous than a few tough ones.  I would personally LOVE to open a door and have 10 zombies pour through the door!  Now THAT would be scary!  Other approaches could be adjustments to the loot tables, weather, increased chances to be stunned or suffer injury, super-zombies, giant wandering hordes of zombies,  and so on.  There are plenty of design space to work with in this area. These are just my thoughts but I haven't seen many people bring this issue up.  

A20 should give your group some more challenge.  Increased biome/district spawns as well as the new feral sense mode.

Loot has also been rebalanced as well.

Edit: What day/night setting are you guys using? I would recommend shortening it as well for more challenge.  There is also random horde nights with no warning setting. 

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2021 at 11:00 PM, Grimbold said:

I play with a constant group of players in a cooperative environment and we are finding the game is not scaling properly.  Perhaps we are outliers because we work together but playing on Nomad levels and above, we are finding the game rather easy.  Even horde nights where we have the maximum zombies set for 200 are not challenging.  As a group of 4-6, we generally have a forge and cement mixer by day 2 and a reinforced steel base by our first horde night.  We love the game but we're now playing at 25% experience level with no guns allowed to try to give ourselves more of a challenge.  Surely something can be done?  If 2 or 3 people are grouped together, can the number of zombies in POIs be doubled?  Multiple zombies are far more dangerous than a few tough ones.  I would personally LOVE to open a door and have 10 zombies pour through the door!  Now THAT would be scary!  Other approaches could be adjustments to the loot tables, weather, increased chances to be stunned or suffer injury, super-zombies, giant wandering hordes of zombies,  and so on.  There are plenty of design space to work with in this area. These are just my thoughts but I haven't seen many people bring this issue up.  

I just wanted to say, you are not alone. We have a coop environment as well on a dedicated server too and feel the same. We used several mods in the past like Darkness Falls and Romero Mod to help ramp up the immersion and difficulty when we hit that vanilla ceiling.

On 11/17/2021 at 11:00 PM, Grimbold said:

Best idea for this is changing your gamestages.xml to increase the amount of zombies you get per game stage.

We made it go up faster on our coop server with 10 people, and we regularly lose 2 to 3 people on horde nights even behind 4 to 8 layers of steel.

You can also increase the amount of block damage zombies do during horde nights, so we have it at 500% on horde nights, 50% during regular days.

You can also change your WHZombiesMin and max to increase how many zombies are in wandering hoards.

We have it set that all horde have a minimum of 60 zombies, to a max of 180.

We also updated our CPU and memory on the server box, so we run with 600 max zombies at once, uses about 20gb of memory.

On 12/13/2021 at 10:42 PM, PotatoeTater said:

Best idea for this is changing your gamestages.xml to increase the amount of zombies you get per game stage.

We made it go up faster on our coop server with 10 people, and we regularly lose 2 to 3 people on horde nights even behind 4 to 8 layers of steel.

You can also increase the amount of block damage zombies do during horde nights, so we have it at 500% on horde nights, 50% during regular days.

You can also change your WHZombiesMin and max to increase how many zombies are in wandering hoards.

We have it set that all horde have a minimum of 60 zombies, to a max of 180.

We also updated our CPU and memory on the server box, so we run with 600 max zombies at once, uses about 20gb of memory.

This is helpful stuff, even in A20 with feral sense im finding it easy.   i did the first horde with 10 spikes haha, over by 11pm.   sometimes it just feels like the game isnt detecting things right, especially after you have died a few times.   always seems to be hardest right at the start on first spawn.

not to hi jack the thread, but i have a pc with 64gb of ram i game on and was contemplating a nitrado 8gb server.  would i simply be best using my gaming rig or better off loading to a nitrado server ? in yours and anyone elses opinion, espcially if i start playing with settings ?

17 minutes ago, RichyYoung said:

This is helpful stuff, even in A20 with feral sense im finding it easy.   i did the first horde with 10 spikes haha, over by 11pm.   sometimes it just feels like the game isnt detecting things right, especially after you have died a few times.   always seems to be hardest right at the start on first spawn.

not to hi jack the thread, but i have a pc with 64gb of ram i game on and was contemplating a nitrado 8gb server.  would i simply be best using my gaming rig or better off loading to a nitrado server ? in yours and anyone elses opinion, espcially if i start playing with settings ?

Better off with a dedicated, you can have more zombies that way.

Also, 8gb is alright, but I honestly recommend 12gb, its about the best for doing zombies.

Our server uses about 10 to 11 during horde with 20 being the highest I've seen, this of course depends on how big of a map you use.

16 hours ago, PotatoeTater said:

Better off with a dedicated, you can have more zombies that way.

Also, 8gb is alright, but I honestly recommend 12gb, its about the best for doing zombies.

Our server uses about 10 to 11 during horde with 20 being the highest I've seen, this of course depends on how big of a map you use.

Nitrado only goes to 8gb I think.   

we tried changing max alive from 8 to 25 then set time to horde night and it was visable more zombies on horde night.  And no noticeable drop in fps.   

there was an annoying fog to start with but luckily it vanished and I could start to see them from

my up high position.    

it was hard going through the xmls and I standing it all so hopefully they make these easier ui settings in the future.  Also several of the server xml settings are different from the ones I chose at game start, I’m not sure why the game ui setup would not properly change the server xml settings.  Ie feral sense was set to all in the server screen but set to 0 in the xml … which means off.  

bug maybe. 

9 hours ago, RichyYoung said:

it was hard going through the xmls and I standing it all so hopefully they make these easier ui settings in the future.  Also several of the server xml settings are different from the ones I chose at game start, I’m not sure why the game ui setup would not properly change the server xml settings.  Ie feral sense was set to all in the server screen but set to 0 in the xml … which means off.  

I've noticed that too on my end, I believe it's just because it's and experimental build.

Also, try this tool out for editing XMLs:
https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/754

It's meant for making mods, but you can use it to just adjust your server XMLs without adding any mods yourself, for example, we made it so rockets and zombies can't damage roads and the only thing that can dig up the road blocks are picks. 

2 hours ago, PotatoeTater said:

I've noticed that too on my end, I believe it's just because it's and experimental build.

Also, try this tool out for editing XMLs:
https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/754

It's meant for making mods, but you can use it to just adjust your server XMLs without adding any mods yourself, for example, we made it so rockets and zombies can't damage roads and the only thing that can dig up the road blocks are picks. 

hmm, that program might be above my pay grade, i tried loading a xml and nothing showed up on screen.  in hind sight i guess this just high lights how much the current server settings need improving on the standard 7 days to die official server settings.  i shouldnt have to be going into xml files for this stuff.