STILL can't release A20 or even give an ETA?

EzunaAranna

23 minutes ago, mprojekt said:

As far as I am concerned, TFP could put A20 off until 2022 and I would not lose any sleep because of that...

...probably because I was already losing sleep due to tiptoeing about like a frightened mouse, in nightmare mode, through the hallways of the Ostrich Hotel and trying desperately not to wake a radiated wight.

I've got some number over 5000 hours of enjoyment from 7Days and I can't seem to quit it any more than I can quit my ritual, morning coffee. I most definitely feel like I've gotten my money's worth and then some. While I do have minor complaints, most of these issues have been resolved, thanks to all the work that TFP does in each release.

My main gripe is that sometimes, at uncivilized hours in the night, TFP's brilliant game has scared me so much that I wondered whether I piddled.

For an incomplete game, 7Days has provided me thousands of hours of rip-snorting fun that hundreds of other games could not or that were abandoned by their creators before they fixed even half the major bugs plaguing their supposedly "finished" product.

Yep nearly 10k here for me to. Got my moneys worth and then a tonne more. 

It could stay in alpha for a decade more and I still be happy with its progress.  Each alpha is like a new game and we get cool new shiny things to play with.. 

i wonder why do you care about how this software version is named. does it really matter?

what we want is a entertaining game. you got that it seems if you talk about 3000 hours of fun.

getting still updates for it despite beeing so old should be a welcome bonus.

what extra benefit do you get from it beeing namend "alpha", "beta", "nitro", "the ultima edition" or "#0100000C.000FE800" ?

Edited by avad
error (see edit history)

19 hours ago, EzunaAranna said:

Seriously?

We're waiting on ALPHA 20? Still?

Is there any other developer on Steam or indeed the history of PC gaming that has 19 "Alphas" and yet has sold so many copies? Pray do tell - I'd love to know. 

I love this game - I have over 3000 hours on Steam but c'mon this is a total joke.

At this point - "Beta" will be 2025 and "Gold" will be 2029.

This was called "taking the @%$#" 5 years ago....what's it called now? In the time you guys are farting around Grounded is fully released, Conan Exiles is great, No Man's Sky is stellar and even Fallout 76 is a winner.

And don't give me all this nonsense about a "small development team" - Valheim was made with FIVE people. 

3000 hours and 7D2D is a joke but fallout 76 is a winner.  How many hours you got on that winner?  

Way over 3k, surely.

Edited by SnowDog1942 (see edit history)

By that logic the fewer Alphas that are released on other games must mean more failure.

O no wait....it means in some cases they're doing it right.

GTA 5 - how many Alphas?

Skyrim - same question?

Diablo 1,2,3 - same question?

Even No Mans Sky - same question?

Valheim - same question?

...and many many more.

No - I've been a Programme Manager in IT for 23 years - one Alpha release is acceptable - then a Beta, then Gold. This would be acceptable in a series of Agile sprints over one year. 

This smacks of lack of direction and ineptitude. 

I will put my house on the fact that if any Alpha on Steam could charge at most £5 we'd have seen a Gold release, fully tested and optimised years ago.

Laziness, lack of direction and ineptitude - end of story. Only in the gaming industry could this practice be gotten away with....and so many paying customers excusing this behaviour.

In MY industry - Fintech - miss a deadline and I can't pay my mortgage end of story.

Just to comment on the games list.

All of the ones you listed, EXCEPT valheim, had MOSTLY INTERNAL alpha's. Diablo 2 resurrected had a public alpha test (one, we don't know how many internals) and so did Diablo 3.

Valheim? It's still in early access. It's had 24 public builds, only 2 of which were new "major" versions, AKA Alphas.

Alpha 1 - Intial Release.
Alpha 2 - Current version (specifically 0.204.4)

You may have been an IT manager for god knows how many years, but were you an IT manager for GAME development? Because it's very different.

Edited by KhaineGB (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

3000 hours and 7D2D is a joke but fallout 76 is a winner.  How many hours you got on that winner?  

Way over 3k, surely.

You just came here hoping Ezuna'd tell YOU to go back to school too.

I've told you too many times to count that those boys and girls are too young for you. 

Oh, FYI...

Minecraft had 3 alpha releases (1.0, 1.1, 1.2) and 9 beta releases before gold (1.0 to 1.8)

Rimworld had 10 major alpha versions, with multiple sub-versions in between.

Yes, 7DTD is longer than all of those, but does it matter? Yes, I also want it to be done so I can stop worrying about updating all my mods for the next version and users complaining at me about when my release will be done... but eh. I knew that would happen. It's fine.

1 minute ago, KhaineGB said:

and 9 beta releases before gold

I played during those beta releases and despite the difference in how they were named they functioned very similarly to the Steam Early Access Alphas we are playing for this game. I absolutely loved following the development and playing each new version of Minecraft and reading the changelogs and discussing the game with others. When I came to 7 Days to Die in December of 2013 I was hoping that it would be a similar experience. I had never tried an Early Access title before but I was not disappointed. It has been a rewarding and fun journey witnessing all the changes.

No Mans Sky - team of under 10

well I guess you made your case. You compared one of the all time WORST launches in gaming history due to insane hype and pressure to release before its finished as your litmus test.

*mic drop*

I was pretty sure OP should really not be taken seriously or at face value and that no serious discussion would be possible...

20 hours ago, EzunaAranna said:

In MY industry - Fintech

...and that was the confirmation I needed. I had a guy like OP work for me once. Always The Smartest Guy In The Room. I think he knew that everybody else knew the truth about him, and it ate him up inside. Didn't last long.

Isn't this argument just based on different individual interpretations of what an alpha version of a software is?

I actively play this game since A16.4, and every public release was totally playable,

without any obvious bugs or the feeling that mayor parts of the game are still missing/not working.

That's not the definition of an alpha version of a software if you ask me.

So TFP could have just called A16.4 gold as well,

and every subsequent update could have been labelled as content update.

There are in fact many game studios who do just that today:

Release an unfinished product right after a very short alpha/beta stage,

and sell you further patches/updates as DLC for another little fee every time.

I have to say I prefer TFP's way, whilst I can see the commercial advantage of the other approach.

...so thx to TFP, for being the stupid perfectionists you are 😂

14 minutes ago, bachgaman said:

It doesn't matter how it's called. It is important that the game continues to be developed. I am very glad that they are changing it, maybe I still sometimes play it just because of this

If they keep adding content for free, they can even call me (names) whatever they want 🤣

12 hours ago, Roland said:

I played during those beta releases and despite the difference in how they were named they functioned very similarly to the Steam Early Access Alphas we are playing for this game. I absolutely loved following the development and playing each new version of Minecraft and reading the changelogs and discussing the game with others. When I came to 7 Days to Die in December of 2013 I was hoping that it would be a similar experience. I had never tried an Early Access title before but I was not disappointed. It has been a rewarding and fun journey witnessing all the changes.

Agreed. Minecraft Beta was VERY similar to 7DTD's current EA status.

I think they did it quite well tbh. :)

On 11/17/2021 at 4:02 PM, EzunaAranna said:

By that logic the fewer Alphas that are released on other games must mean more failure.

O no wait....it means in some cases they're doing it right.

GTA 5 - how many Alphas?

Skyrim - same question?

Diablo 1,2,3 - same question?

Even No Mans Sky - same question?

Valheim - same question?

...and many many more.

No - I've been a Programme Manager in IT for 23 years - one Alpha release is acceptable - then a Beta, then Gold. This would be acceptable in a series of Agile sprints over one year. 

This smacks of lack of direction and ineptitude. 

I will put my house on the fact that if any Alpha on Steam could charge at most £5 we'd have seen a Gold release, fully tested and optimised years ago.

Laziness, lack of direction and ineptitude - end of story. Only in the gaming industry could this practice be gotten away with....and so many paying customers excusing this behaviour.

In MY industry - Fintech - miss a deadline and I can't pay my mortgage end of story.

I love this game, but I think you definitely have a point with your post.  I've been fiddling with this thing since Alpha 4 or something like that, and I'm still amazed at what is going on here.  However, I will defend the TFP as well and mention, I feel this is more of an issue with old school development vs the newer culture of funding active media and active development.  To someone that has been in development and has 23+ years experience, yes...this is totally wrong. 

Ultimately, I feel the terminology should have changed long ago to embrace this method of development. The Alpha, Beta, Gold monikers have little value in the current self funding development, early access, crowd funding world.  I find them somewhat meaningless at this point and I wish to goodness we (gamers and developers) had picked different terminology. 

Anyway, I hope everyone is have a great week.  I'm also looking forward to Alpha 20 when it drops.  

Edited by FrostByghte
fix spelling and double posting (see edit history)

On 11/17/2021 at 4:59 PM, Maharin said:

Alpha 42 is the one I'm waiting for.  I hear it will only run on planet-sized computers.

That's why we're going back to the moon, to build HUGE gaming computers at the poles in craters so they're always cold ;)