Thank you to everyone who tuned in and took part in the A20 Dev Stream Series!

Roland

8 hours ago, secateurs said:

Why was endgame content never developed?

Because the game isn't finished yet.  They are still developing stuff.

On 9/19/2021 at 6:10 PM, Guppycur said:

The replacematerial XML property no longer works correctly due to a simple arrangement of children on *some* of the zombies, are there plans for uniformity in bone set up so things like the old system for radiating a zed will still work?

I would tag faatal and ask this in the dev diary since your agenda didn't pan out last night. 

I know , i always complain but i don't have nothing to complain this time so greate job TFP. But the best change  is new zombie soldier - now he looks more like modern warfare soldier that toy soldier  ( i mean well unoffical gj joe toys not green small soldiers ) with zombie face

• Roland unpinned and unpinned this topic
  • Roland unpinned this topic
4 hours ago, meganoth said:

On twitter people will be able to participate in Faatals demonstration. Plant trees in Faatals game to counter his optimizations. Or send him extra FPS. 😁

Wait, Twitter or Twitch integration is what you mean ? 

5 hours ago, meganoth said:

On twitter people will be able to participate in Faatals demonstration. Plant trees in Faatals game to counter his optimizations. Or send him extra FPS. 😁

There was a rumour that Roland will be outside his house throwing pebbles at his window to annoy him while he is streaming and shouting out questions about ziplines.

1 hour ago, beerfly said:

@meganoth reveals how little he is involved in either the Twitter or Twitch scene...lol

It's like when I was younger and was playing Sega Genesis and my Grandma would walk through the living room and say, "You should stop playing Nintendo and go outside for awhile" Ah Grandma...so right and so wrong at the same time... ;) 

1 hour ago, beerfly said:

They both start with "Tw", that MUST mean something.

Roland is right though, those two websites are so seldom on my screen or mind, I would not really notice if they vanished suddenly.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

16 hours ago, meganoth said:

They both start with "Tw", that MUST mean something.

Roland is right though, those two websites are so seldom on my screen or mind, I would not really notice if they vanished suddenly.

You may not care, but I'd definitely be throwing a celebration. 😜

Is this going to be the streams where I can ask why they haven't added the ability to plant birch trees? The area I am from IRL we are mostly forest. We have many areas that are just birch trees and I would love to be able to plant them around my base. I would like to know if it is possible they could add them as it seems every other plant and tree is available to be grown. (Maybe not snowberry, can't recall that one now)

• Roland unpinned this topic

I have  questions about the amazing buried supplies quests (A "take one get three" deal but also trap good-hearted questions):

- Do Buried supplies have code for avoiding roads in A20?

-Do Buried supplies have code for avoiding the ocassional placing of the location of a buried chest in the exact same position AND chest when 2 or more players take one simultaneously (also in a20)?

- Why do the shrinking dots/lines for buried supplies quests differ from player to player in multiplayer? Is that intended?

Thank you beforehand for reading. 

Some questions about the new tiles.

Can custom tiles obey the same constraints as traders? Specifically, max_count, min_count, and min_repeat_distance?

Will it be possible to specify that tiles only spawn in certain biomes?

From what has been said in the dev diary, the POIs inside different tile plots will be chosen based on POI name. Is that correct? If so, what are the specific naming conventions that POIs must follow? If it's just something like prefab_1 then how do custom POI designers name their POIs without the risk of duplicating/interfering with the names of POIs from other designers?

Can portions of tiles act like POIs, e.g. contain sleeper volumes?

EDIT: Also, can tiles specify that only certain other tiles spawn next to them? Example: Tiles A and B have open-ended subway tunnels that are open to the west; tiles C and D have open-ended subway tunnels that open to the east. Can tiles A and B specify that only tiles C and D spawn to their west (or vice versa), so that these subway tunnels connect across tiles?

Edited by khzmusik (see edit history)

I'm looking forward to Wednesday and the RWG session. I've seen previous sessions and the Q&A seems to be a "jump ball" of quick questions that quickly scroll past. Longer questions are likely to get lost in the shuffle. I thought I'd follow khzmusik's lead and ask questions here. Maybe they'll help TFP folks prepare for the session. Some of these just confirm fundamentals (as I understand them) based on what we learned in the Dev Diary forum and other Dev videos.

The RWG will create a Settlement (city, small town, etc) with 1 or more Districts (city center, commercial, industrial, residential, etc), right?

We can define custom Settlement types, right? If so, how? Perhaps via XML?

District Tiles are placed contiguously, right? That is, they're placed next to each other, not scattered in a patchwork manner about the Settlement.

Does the RWG ever repeat District types in a Settlement? That is, could it decide to have two City Center districts?

We can define custom Districts, right? If so, how? Perhaps via XML?

Can we tell the RWG that a custom District should have a minimum size, maximum size? Can we specify dimensions? For instance, can I tell the RWG that my custom district should be 1x3 minimum and 2x6 maximum? (Min X = 1, Max X = 2, Min Z = 1, Max Z = 3) I'm asking because not all potential Districts I can envision would be major parts of a city and I'd hate to see one end up being 1/3 of a City. Another reason is a prefab modder might build out a District over time and during early releases nobody will want to see a sprawling but highly repetitive District.

A Tile's filename tells the RWG which District it represents and the expected road support (rwg_tile_CityCenter_corner_XYZ_01), right? Or, is there some other indicator?

What does the RWG do if you do not provide all of the expected road geometries? That is, what if you provide cap, corner, straight, and t, but do NOT provide intersection? Is the District considered invalid? Do you get a "missing Tile" error? Do you get some other District's intersection? Does the District just not contain any intersections?

A Tile can contain 0 or more Markers, right? (I understand a Tile without Markers is probably not the expected use.)

A Marker can represent the placement of a POI or the placement of a Part, right?

The RWG chooses a POI to place in a Marker by matching the District name with the value of the POI's XML tag for Zoning and the X,Z dimensions of the POI. Early demonstrations had the X,Z dimensions matching exactly, but there was some talk of matching within some range down to the next standard size, or something like that. Which way did it turn out? Is it perhaps an option when you define the Marker?

What does the RWG use any other factor to determine placement of Parts? That is, if a Tile has a 10x10 Part where the creator envisioned something like a Food Truck, what keeps something like a 1x1 mailbox from being placed there?

Whatever the RWG mechanism is for picking Parts to place, is it aware of its proximity to the edge of the Tile? If so, could it pick Parts smartly depending on if the part will connect to another Tile of the same type of District, or not? That may be confusing, so here's an example. Assuming I am creating my own District and I want to make sure that all of my District's Tiles have a sidewalk that connects 20 blocks in from each corner. (Kind of like how TFP standardized the location and size of road connections.) This way, the connections to other Tiles in my District will have that sidewalk connectivity between Tiles. Of course, I cannot expect other Tiles in other Districts to meet that interface. So, if a Part defined to hit the edge of a Tile could potentially trigger a test of the neighboring Tile to see if it was from the same District. If not, then pick a non-connecting Part, like grass or air, versus a connecting Part being sidewalk. Without that test, I'll end up with sidewalks that just end, or run into buildings, extend towards the Wilderness, etc. Phew. (This is kind of like khzmusik's last question, but my thinking was coming at it from a different angle.)

IIRC, we can only put POI Markers at Ground Level on a Tile. Does that mean that Part Markers have to be at Ground Level too?

Can we put Markers for Parts inside a POI, or are Markers/Parts solely a capability of a Tile?

Above, khzmusik asked if a Tile could have a Sleeper Volume. If so, what happens if we define a Sleeper Volume on a Tile in a position such that it completely envelopes a Part? What if it completely envelops a POI with its own Sleeper Volumes? What if a Sleeper Volume partially envelops a Part or POI? Will the resulting overlapping Volumes cause problems?

Can Parts on a Tile include Quests? For instance, a tier 1 "Find the Bag" quest where the bag is atop a billboard? That's probably too easy, but does the tech support it?

How do you keep "Buried Supplies" quests from landing at locations that intermix with Tile features, like sewers and Parts? Or, is that kind of complication part of the charm? (They buried the supplies under the water tower? Gee thanks.)

If you're looking for a suggestion for integrating Tiles and new Quests, consider a block that can be placed at a location in a Tile that indicates a "Defend Location" quest is supported at that location. Then traders could send players to that location. Maybe its a Quest that can only be triggered at night. When triggered, a couple of (scaled) waves of Zs attack based on the number of players and their levels within some established distance from the quest trigger. Maybe the Z's triggered have their awareness heightened when they spawn. I think that suggestion involves features already in the game.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)