Its Annoying That Streamers Get the Game First!

Rizno

3 hours ago, Rizno said:

...and how does releasing the update to everyone at the same time suddenly cut off streamers getting their viewers and TFP getting their new customers? A large chunk of these viewers the streamers will get are just game owners eagerly awaiting the release they're being forced to wait longer for. They can't buy the game again unless it's to give to friends and family. But you don't need a Streamer Event for proud game owners to already do that.

Everyone is right when they say "it's only a few days". But there's this brainless divide being put between the playerbase - where streamers with 5000+ subscribers (that's the requirement, if I recall correctly?) are basically getting treated like royalty in comparison to the regular old players who, in most cases, care more about the game and its future. "Hey we know you love our game but we're going to give this random person with lots of subscribers/followers on Twitch an even Earlier Access copy! We know you will understand, it's only a few days after all haha."

This Streamer Event practice will be harshly defended; but that still doesn't make it right.

A universal release won't hurt streamers and will still attract plenty of new customers to ensure the future of 7 Days to Die.

Its a marketing event for an early view of a update not available yet.  That is part of the value streamers get out of the event.

None of the streamers are getting paid (by TFP) to showcase the game.  I'm willing to bet there would be less streamers showcasing the game if it was a universal release.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Rizno said:

This Streamer Event practice will be harshly defended; but that still doesn't make it right.

This streamer event practice will be harshly criticized; but that still doesn't make it wrong.

2 hours ago, Khalagar said:

The biggest issue with Streamer weekend is the risk that Roland doesn't do His Job™ and push for someone to reach out to Cover / Hololive and try and get some of the Holos to play on streamer weekend.

Go reach out to your prefered Holos, Khalagar, and get them to sign up for it. I will gladly take their applications as I have done for everyone on the list currently.

Job done. It's Miller TIme™

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Rizno said:

But there's this brainless divide being put between the playerbase - where streamers with 5000+ subscribers (that's the requirement, if I recall correctly?) are basically getting treated like royalty

What is brainless is the idea that giving members of the media an inside look is somehow royal treatment. In the 80's and 90's print magazines were given first access to gameplay where they flaunted their subscription hungry news about "behind closed doors" gameplay excursions that nobody else who would be part of the player base ever got to do. Then in the 00's and 10's it was web based outlets. I take it you are equally flummoxed and exasperated when you watch a video or read an article at IGN for any video game they have covered that is not yet released because...."those damn Royals!"....

If you can't recognize dispassionately that influencers are a powerful new branch of the media then there is nothing that can be done to help you ever understand. You are blinded by your negative emotions regarding people playing games for an audience to make money and garner fame. Regardless of your short sightedness, TFP has the right long view of the importance of media venues that are offered on platforms like YouTube, Billibong, and Twitch.

They are not treating streamers like royalty. They are treating them like the media. They are smart to do so. It is so obviously smart to do so that the only reason someone could miss it and object is if their reason is somehow being overwhelmed by their emotion.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

22 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Its a marketing event for an early view of a update not available yet.  That is part of the value streamers get out of the event.

None of the streamers are getting paid to showcase the game.  I'm willing to bet there would be less streamers showcasing the game if it was a universal release.

Absolutely.

It is valuable to TFP as a soft launch and quite frankly as a rewarding weekend for them to sit back and watch people who love their creation play and give spontaneous and candid feedback while they are in the midst of playing. The developers often get involved in the chats of various streams and talk directly with the playerbase as well during the weekend. There are always positive things that come out of the streamer weekend that end up benefiting the game for everyone.

It is valuable to the streamers because it is an exclusive event. They are assured to get more viewers than they would if everyone was busily playing it on their own. That is what attracts them from a business POV. Of course, they are also fans of the game so they are also excited to play the new build.

It is valuable to the player base because it does attract attention to the new release and many who may not have realized that A20 was about to drop and who may have had it uninstalled for a year or more will re-install it and dive back in to check out the new build. If the game is not installed then you get no notification from Steam that there has been an update. It also will bring in new players. Some of the streamers haven't been playing 7 Days to Die recently so their viewers are those who came for a different game and stayed because they liked the influencer. Now they will see 7 Days to Die possibly for the first time and get intrigued. New players and a larger player base is good for all the players.

The way I think it could be super valuable is if Laz works all night long Sunday to switch up all the traps and jump scares he designed into the POIs from the way people watched the streamers encounter them to something different and unexpected. Come on Laz. Don't be lazy. :)

15 minutes ago, Roland said:

Absolutely.

It is valuable to TFP as a soft launch and quite frankly as a rewarding weekend for them to sit back and watch people who love their creation play and give spontaneous and candid feedback while they are in the midst of playing. The developers often get involved in the chats of various streams and talk directly with the playerbase as well during the weekend. There are always positive things that come out of the streamer weekend that end up benefiting the game for everyone.

It is valuable to the streamers because it is an exclusive event. They are assured to get more viewers than they would if everyone was busily playing it on their own. That is what attracts them from a business POV. Of course, they are also fans of the game so they are also excited to play the new build.

It is valuable to the player base because it does attract attention to the new release and many who may not have realized that A20 was about to drop and who may have had it uninstalled for a year or more will re-install it and dive back in to check out the new build. If the game is not installed then you get no notification from Steam that there has been an update. It also will bring in new players. Some of the streamers haven't been playing 7 Days to Die recently so their viewers are those who came for a different game and stayed because they liked the influencer. Now they will see 7 Days to Die possibly for the first time and get intrigued. New players and a larger player base is good for all the players.

The way I think it could be super valuable is if Laz works all night long Sunday to switch up all the traps and jump scares he designed into the POIs from the way people watched the streamers encounter them to something different and unexpected. Come on Laz. Don't be lazy. :)

Actually...my other job is raising my 3 little kids so the the weekend is my prime time work hours for 7 days.  I definitely will be watching and bug fixing during the event. :)

20 minutes ago, Roland said:

What is the name of when a person likes to observe, and not to do it himself? There is a word for such people

After reading all of posts on releasing A20 only for streamers first, it still does not make sense if you think about one key factor, its about releasing the game. When TFP releases A 20 it will attract new streamers and new players anyway. No matter if its only for Streamers or for everyone. TFP still can watch their beautiful creation being played. Players that are already playing and know the game will watch the Streams.

Please dont quote semi-negative stuff i have written that has no weight on this topic just to belittle me and make me look bad, thats childish, if you cant respect others and their opinions then you should not really talk with people, sad thing is it comes from guy with over 11k posts. Peace.

11 hours ago, Aldranon said:

You guys worry about when a computer game will be released.  Bah!

Muons wobble faster than they should!

The day reality as science knew it, fell on its face!  Remember you were alive when something stupendous was found.

ummmm... previous comments about grass.

1 hour ago, SpaceBound said:

After reading all of posts on releasing A20 only for streamers first, it still does not make sense if you think about one key factor, its about releasing the game. When TFP releases A 20 it will attract new streamers and new players anyway. No matter if its only for Streamers or for everyone. TFP still can watch their beautiful creation being played. Players that are already playing and know the game will watch the Streams.

Please dont quote semi-negative stuff i have written that has no weight on this topic just to belittle me and make me look bad, thats childish, if you cant respect others and their opinions then you should not really talk with people, sad thing is it comes from guy with over 11k posts. Peace.

It seems to me that your demands to give the game to everyone at once look selfish, because you don't think about which option will be the best for the game and the game studio, you think about what will be best for you. And the game, by the way, deserves huge popularity, and if the stream weekend contributes to this popularity, then so be it, isn't it?:eyebrows:

I am one of those streamers who will get early access to A20. I'm not bragging about it, I just hope that you will express everything you think about me and calm down, and the TFP team will be able to finish the work calmly.
Do you want TFP to hear other people's opinions? I want it too, and here's my opinion: keep up the good work, guys, you'll do everything right. I think so now, I thought so even before I started creating videos on Youtube. 😎

1 minute ago, Games'n'Grumble said:

It seems to me that your demands to give the game to everyone at once look selfish, because you don't think about which option will be the best for the game and the game studio, you think about what will be best for you. And the game, by the way, deserves huge popularity, and if the stream weekend contributes to this popularity, then so be it, isn't it?:eyebrows:

I am one of those streamers who will get early access to A20. I'm not bragging about it, I just hope that you will express everything you think about me and calm down, and the TFP team will be able to finish the work calmly.
Do you want TFP to hear other people's opinions? I want it too, and here's my opinion: keep up the good work, guys, you'll do everything right. I think so now, I thought so even before I started creating videos on Youtube. 😎

Thanks for response on this Sir, i have no demands mate im just stating facts, it makes no sense. Please dont feel offended by my opinion, all you can do is to respect it, the same way i respect your opinion and the fact that i cant change what TFP will do about this.

Yess, in any case this will be huge when it comes out and im waiting patiently, no matter if you Sir or other Streamers get hands on it before me. 

6 hours ago, bachgaman said:

What is the name of when a person likes to observe, and not to do it himself? There is a word for such people

"TV viewer", "sports spectator", "audience", "media consumer"  ? 😉

I've been watching action movies all my live but never jumped from  3 story buildings with guns balzing myself. I know, I know, this doesn't look good, I really should don a cape and mask and hit random people I suspect of wrongdoing 😁

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

6 hours ago, SpaceBound said:

Surely yes, but the less their usual game play has to do with 7D2D the less likely they are to notice or stream it. Imagine you are a streamer and you usually play survival games. Would you play a new space sim just because it gets a new alpha version? Surely not, you can't play all the new games anyway. Some of those "fringe" streamers have a play list not that far from survival/horror so they just need a small push aka an incentive to select 7D2D. And exclusivity is one way to lure them over.

Why? Because they expect new viewers from the 7D2D audience, they expect their own viewers interested as well for a "sneak peek" (just like movie premieres are a draw for audiences as well).

Now if you really want to know, ask a random streamer. It doesn't even matter whether he is right about that assumption to get more and new viewers at such an event, if he believes it it makes him more likely to stream such an event.

6 hours ago, SpaceBound said:

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

7 hours ago, bachgaman said:

The word in English is “spectator”. Glad to help you spruce up your language skills. Btw billions of dollars are generated each year thanks to spectators. Spectators have created several huge industries. 

There. I’ve used the word in a few sentences as well so you are sure to remember and understand. 

8 hours ago, Roland said:

The way I think it could be super valuable is if Laz works all night long Sunday to switch up all the traps and jump scares he designed into the POIs from the way people watched the streamers encounter them to something different and unexpected. Come on Laz. Don't be lazy.

Y'all control the code. Make all landmines appear and act like air blocks during the streamer weekend.

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

"TV viewer", "sports spectator", "audience", "media consumer"  ? 😉

I've been watching action movies all my live but never jumped from  3 story buildings with guns balzing myself. I know, I know, this doesn't look good, I really should don a cape and mask and hit random people I suspect of wrongdoing 😁

No, not that. And your analogy is just incredibly disgusting. Streamers don't kill zombies in real life. They usually play very poorly in a game they don't like and portray fake emotions / express fake thoughts. Usually almost anyone who watches them can play this game. But somehow they don't play. They are watching.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

The word in English is “spectator”. Glad to help you spruce up your language skills. Btw billions of dollars are generated each year thanks to spectators. Spectators have created several huge industries. 

There. I’ve used the word in a few sentences as well so you are sure to remember and understand. 

Another word. Has something to do with old

7 hours ago, NukemDed said:

ummmm... previous comments about grass.

Sounds like you're bored, maybe an epic book to read:  My choice would be a biography on Temujin (Chinggis Khan).

It would read like high adventure mixed with some unbelievable action and combat.

26 minutes ago, bachgaman said:

No, not that. And your analogy is just incredibly disgusting. Streamers don't kill zombies in real life.

I'm absolutely flabbergasted how my analogy can be read that way. Are you hunting for things to be mad about ? 

An analogy is an analogy because some things are similar and some are not (otherwise it would be the thing itself). And the analogy was about the watchers not the ones they watch.

26 minutes ago, bachgaman said:

They usually play very poorly in a game they don't like and portray fake emotions / express fake thoughts. Usually almost anyone who watches them can play this game. But somehow they don't play. They are watching.

This is absolutely identical to a sports spectator. Almost anyone can hit a ball with his foot or hit a tennis ball, even if only 1 in ten gets over the net. And still they watch and don't play. Is it your place to tell them what to do? Did you never ever watch a sports game or are you throwing stones in a glass house ?