My first base!

Lord Daem

My first base in the game - setup right next to the trader (cause I'm too lazy to trek that far!) Any tips on fortifications will be great - I currently have a trench with wooden spikes surrounding the entrances, with sandbags just behind to make it harder for the Z's to get through

Edited by Lord Daem (see edit history)

Maybe a few more spikes. =P

2b2w4exk1xv41.png

Seriously, though, the first horde is intentionally easy. It's there to show you the process without wiping you out.

As for actual advice? Don't worry too much about having the "perfect" setup. Play the game, see what works. You only get that experience once.

Edited by Gazz (see edit history)

Concratulations on putting the spikes into the ground, even some experienced players get that wrong. Spikes rows without gaps would be even better, that stone path in front might be too much of an invitation.

This community is very helpful and will shower you with advice and optimal base builds if you just ask. But that is the worst thing that can happen to you because you will never have the fun and feel of accomplishment of finding out what works in the game for yourself. So I agree with Gazz, don't look further but simply try out your base. Never ask for general advice, ask when you can't find a solution to something specific.

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

But that is the worst thing that can happen to you because you will never have the fun and feel of accomplishment of finding out what works in the game for yourself.

yeap! Enjoy your first few bases by building them yourself!  There are a lot of "impenetrable" base builds/ideas people have posted but a lot of them are relying on weird game mechanics or other things.  I've done a few of these weird things by myself (on my own, just by playing around) but I find it more fun to not use hacky/cheesy mechanics and I try to always build my own unique base every time without relying on "perfect building methods" or making the same "tried and trusted" base over and over.  Having to always find/plan and build a completely new and untested base, while doing all the other things (looting/mining/etc) it what keeps it fun (and re-playable) for me.

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

Ok ok, I THINK its relcoation time.....

8 hours ago, Gazz said:

Maybe a few more spikes. =P

2b2w4exk1xv41.png

Seriously, though, the first horde is intentionally easy. It's there to show you the process without wiping you out.

As for actual advice? Don't worry too much about having the "perfect" setup. Play the game, see what works. You only get that experience once.

I have no idea why mine won't let me insert my images!