Jump to content

Throwing Rocks


Roland
 Share

Throwing Rocks  

62 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you ever throw rocks in the game?

    • Yes
      33
    • No
      29
  2. 2. What is your number one reason for throwing rocks?

    • Practice for pipe bombs and molotovs
      0
    • Distract zombies
      23
    • Troll other players
      3
    • Send zombies into bears, wolves, and mountain lions
      4
    • Play Bocce in game with other players
      0
    • Other: Explain below
      5
    • I don't throw rocks
      27


Recommended Posts

Does anyone REALLY throw rocks in the game for any reason? Is there an actual strategy involved with throwing rocks? Share your strategies and reasons for throwing rocks down below. 

 

I do frequently throw rocks and my number one reason is to distract zombies. My number two reason is to make them fight hostile animals.

 

But I have trolled my brother by throwing a rock into his mine at night while he was down there to make a few zombies jump in and surprise him. We've also played "Bocce" or at least we picked a landmark and competed to see who could land a rock closest to it from the roof of our base.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i will use stones to distract the zombies if i want to go to a particular poi or to a vehicle for looting or whatever... i dont have to use it, just fun now and then to watch them get distracted and chase the pretty little stones. i also show towards the end of the video where one seen me and was heading for me and i was able to make her go rock hunting instead of wanting to kill me. :) zombies is so stupid

 

watch my antics with throwing rocks - https://youtu.be/wRF5wQi04QU

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tried it multiple times... but since I am a "pre-rock-trowing-guy" it confuses me more than the Z's.
Sometimes they charge straight at me... sometimes they don't move at all...

If there was a coherent strategy (like coins in AC) I'd use it for sneaking... but it doesn't seem to work... or I'm just too stupid to get it to work consistantly.

So no. I never use it. (and why would I? Z's are basicially XP-filled-canonfodder anyways. Might have used it in the early alphas where Z's were a real threat to you and your home :D)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am never in enough danger outside for me to have to create a distraction to disengage.

If i dont feel like fighting zombies, which is rare, I just go around them.

If i die outside it is almost always because i didn't see one of the animals that comes round the corner.

I dont think throwing rocks does much to distract them ...?

Edited by Slaasher (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Slaasher said:

I am never in enough danger outside for me to have to create a distraction to disengage.

 

Its not usually about being in danger. I throw rocks at night when on the roof of my base when zombies are below me. They run out into the open to chase the rock and into my line of sight. I throw rocks to cause zombies to run into hostile animals because it is fun. Mostly I throw rocks at night to distract zombies and move them out of my path so I don't have to go around them and I can just keep sneaking along. I find it enjoyable to cause them to run in a direction of my choosing.

 

Throwing rocks does nothing to animals but you can distract animals by directing a zombie at them so the two of them fight. I once sent three zombies at a wolf and then attacked the wolf and it went down in one hit. That was cool.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have used it in the very early days of a game when on a rock at night and didn't feel like fighting. When  I saw a zombie heading slowly towards me I would just toss a coin stone to my zombie and guide him away. I also used that trick you mentioned. Sometimes on a building zombies would go under me where I couldn't get a shot and I could toss a stone to bring them out in the open...also I thought for sure I did it at least one time to a wolf...you sure it is not something that works on animals too?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Gamida said:

also I thought for sure I did it at least one time to a wolf...you sure it is not something that works on animals too?

unless playing on a modded game/server the animal's AI task list doesnt have distraction allowed.

 

(this particular task was in one of the zombie's AI task list)   

<property name="AITask-4" value="ApproachDistraction"/>



this is the current a19 AI task list for the wolf.

    <property name="AITask-1" value="BreakBlock"/>
    <property name="AITask-2" value="Territorial"/>
    <property name="AITask-3" value="ApproachAndAttackTarget" data="class=EntityAnimalStag,30,EntityPlayer,30"/>
    <property name="AITask-4" value="ApproachSpot"/>
    <property name="AITask-5" value="Look"/>
    <property name="AITask-6" value="Wander"/>
    <property name="AITask-7" value=""/>
    <property name="AITarget-1" value="SetAsTargetIfHurt"/>
    <property name="AITarget-2" value="BlockingTargetTask"/>
    <property name="AITarget-3" value="SetNearestEntityAsTarget" data="class=EntityPlayer,29,24,EntityAnimalStag,0,0"/>
    <property name="AITarget-4" value=""/>

 

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I have said, yes I have thrown rocks no I don’t throw them in game for any particular reason.

I do

like throwing a rock down a mine shaft idea, I will try it out.

I think throwing rocks to distract a zombie sounds good on paper but in reality it just isn’t fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, unholyjoe said:

unless playing on a modded game/server the animal's AI task list doesnt have distraction allowed.

 

(this particular task was in one of the zombie's AI task list)   

<property name="AITask-4" value="ApproachDistraction"/>



this is the current a19 AI task list for the wolf.

    <property name="AITask-1" value="BreakBlock"/>
    <property name="AITask-2" value="Territorial"/>
    <property name="AITask-3" value="ApproachAndAttackTarget" data="class=EntityAnimalStag,30,EntityPlayer,30"/>
    <property name="AITask-4" value="ApproachSpot"/>
    <property name="AITask-5" value="Look"/>
    <property name="AITask-6" value="Wander"/>
    <property name="AITask-7" value=""/>
    <property name="AITarget-1" value="SetAsTargetIfHurt"/>
    <property name="AITarget-2" value="BlockingTargetTask"/>
    <property name="AITarget-3" value="SetNearestEntityAsTarget" data="class=EntityPlayer,29,24,EntityAnimalStag,0,0"/>
    <property name="AITarget-4" value=""/>

 

pretty sure it was a SP game. May have been modded. I will have to do a "test" lol

 

 

 

49 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

As I have said, yes I have thrown rocks no I don’t throw them in game for any particular reason.

I do

like throwing a rock down a mine shaft idea, I will try it out.

I think throwing rocks to distract a zombie sounds good on paper but in reality it just isn’t fun.

just think of it as playing fetch...we can't tame the animals so closest we will get :D

Edited by Gamida
separating the answers for readability (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

As I have said, yes I have thrown rocks no I don’t throw them in game for any particular reason.

I do

like throwing a rock down a mine shaft idea, I will try it out.

I think throwing rocks to distract a zombie sounds good on paper but in reality it just isn’t fun.

no worse then for example... mahrins pic of skimming stones.... what does it do... nothing really but for some (me included) it is/was fun when i could do it... at 63 i would break my arm now trying it.

 

but its all about fun ... some like it and some dont.. nobody is forced to throw rocks. i think walking bare foot across hot coals is stupid too but there are people who can and are doing it. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Gamida said:

pretty sure it was a SP game. May have been modded. I will have to do a "test" lol

good luck if you are going to try what i think you are going to do.. let us know/or me.... best not to hijack this thread tho. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

good luck if you are going to try what i think you are going to do.. let us know/or me.... best not to hijack this thread tho. :)

I didn't think of it as a hijack as it is about throwing rocks. Was just going to confirm if it was modded game or not I used.

 

 

 

EDIT: Experiment done. Dire wolf, coyote, zombie dog didn't respond to thrown rocks. Must have been modded or I imagined it. Case closed...

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Throw stones, Ever? Yes. Mostly to watch them run around, I guess you can call that distract. There isn't any real reason to though.. The things that are a threat are already coming at you and the things that aren't.. usually aren't in the way.

 

Now, throw a stone, follow it up with a boom boom? Yeah... not that often is there a great opportunity for it, but .. it works .. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I have said, yes I have thrown rocks no I don’t throw them in game for any particular reason.

I do

like throwing a rock down a mine shaft idea, I will try it out.

I think throwing rocks to distract a zombie sounds good on paper but in reality it just isn’t fun.

 

why did this post again???

 

I would love to know what the telemetry thing in A19 says about rock throwing & bike riding.

Both are great ideas that just don’t translate into something useful in game.

Edited by Fanatical_Meat (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

I would love to know what the telemetry thing in A19 says about rock throwing & bike riding.

Both are great ideas that just don’t translate into something useful in game.

 

Say what?!? I love both being in the game and bicycle riding surely is useful as is rock throwing if not just simply fun. Are you just skipping over the bike and going straight to motorcycle or something? I'm usually on a bike for a couple of game weeks before I get other vehicles so it definitely comes in handy for faster travel. Plus who cares what the telemetry says? Why would they spend time removing the ability to throw rocks or the bicycle even if they aren't widely used features? They are already in and they work so leave them be and people can choose whether they want to use those features or not.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Roland said:

 

Say what?!? I love both being in the game and bicycle riding surely is useful as is rock throwing if not just simply fun. Are you just skipping over the bike and going straight to motorcycle or something? I'm usually on a bike for a couple of game weeks before I get other vehicles so it definitely comes in handy for faster travel. Plus who cares what the telemetry says? Why would they spend time removing the ability to throw rocks or the bicycle even if they aren't widely used features? They are already in and they work so leave them be and people can choose whether they want to use those features or not.

Agreed it has more utility however that utility is brief. Seems like it is too close to being able to make mini bikes which are superior.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Agreed it has more utility however that utility is brief. Seems like it is too close to being able to make mini bikes which are superior.

 

 

On this note, the ability to make bicycles should be available from the beginning without the need of books or perks.  It would be an early boon to getting around the world without unbalancing anything.

 

EDIT: And think about it... the wheels are hard to find and will be the limiting factor anyway.

Edited by Maharin (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Maharin said:

 

On this note, the ability to make bicycles should be available from the beginning without the need of books or perks.  It would be an early boon to getting around the world without unbalancing anything.

 

EDIT: And think about it... the wheels are hard to find and will be the limiting factor anyway.

I would prefer bikes to he found. Like there are bikes on the sidewalk and use them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...