OS Error Code 1009

PenetrationStation

I can't even launch the game, I haven't played in a year or so and all i've done in the mean time is play other games and update windows as I go.

I've used DISM and SFC commands to repair and scan my system, I've done all the malware scans you can think and adware scans, I'm fully updated with all my drivers and windows.

But I get this error. everything else on my PC works as it should.

https://i.imgur.com/xmDg8wW.pn

11 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

Fully exclude the client from all security software. Then back up your save folder. Then wipe all the things.

It is fully excluded from all software.

I have/had no save folder to back up, the game was fully uninstalled and removed from my PC prior to downloading.

I cannot follow those steps as this error occurs even at trying to launch the game launcher.

Edit: Running the launcher from the folder in compat mode win 8 has allowed me to boot. I'm not sure this is a perm fix or not, but may help you in troubleshooting.

Edited by PenetrationStation (see edit history)

Have you checked your registry to see if you got some leftover instances causing the issue?  You mentioned you ran SFC and DISM, but did you manually go in there after cleaning them to verify you still don't have any instances for 7D2D?

What I would do (I have a bit of experience doing it and confident I am not going to mess it up).

• Completely uninstall 7D2D from my computer after saving any Saved files or generated worlds I may want to keep.
  • Manually remove any left over references in my Registry to 7D2D.
  • Re-install the game allowing the OS to properly 

I have had instances like this occur with Steam in the past where I uninstalled the game through Steam but it was still showing up in my registry.  That caused issues when I moved everything from my C drive to my new D drive as they were pointing to the wrong location.  Typically that occurs when you miss a step in the uninstall process either caused by user error or the system not doing the uninstall properly.

There are automatic Registry cleaners out there, but you have to be careful that you are download a safe cleaner.  ST might have recommendations on safe ones.

Note, what I suggested can cause issues if you delete the wrong Registry references and not recommended for those that are not aware of what they are doing.

Also, what messages did you get after running SFC and DISM?

Prior to doing this, make sure you save a Restore Point so you can revert back to it if you make a mistake.

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

13 hours ago, PenetrationStation said:

I have/had no save folder to back up, the game was fully uninstalled

The Steam uninstall does not uninstall saved game data. You have manually delete them from the AppData/Roaming/7DaysToDie folder

or delete them using the Launcher/Tools/Clean menu.