When building large prefab is there a limit on pixal before it causes lag?

lil_joha

I refurbished increased in size a 3 story shell of a brick building into 3storys plus a full under basement. doubled its width. Then Decorated heavly, furnished  and put a large garden in.  Using it as a hotel.  Was doing fine  but now playing it I am getting bad lag. This is on my own pc local. No mods. Build in editor imported, tweeked, and powered by one generator. total of 20 dart traps. and One so far powered garage door.   all outside windows and doors have trim so do the walls. No zombie sleepers set in yet.. mostly planed it as my base. with future possibly going to quest mode.

am I over the limit on what I can put in decoration and such for playablity?

A19.6_2021-09-28_15-48-15.thumb.jpg.4152b19d6c37c5e868ab96a91309dc33.jpg

4 minutes ago, lil_joha said:

I refurbished increased in size a 3 story shell of a brick building into 3storys plus a full under basement. doubled its width. Then Decorated heavly, furnished  and put a large garden in.  Using it as a hotel.  Was doing fine  but now playing it I am getting bad lag. This is on my own pc local. No mods. Build in editor imported, tweeked, and powered by one generator. total of 20 dart traps. and One so far powered garage door.   all outside windows and doors have trim so do the walls. No zombie sleepers set in yet.. mostly planed it as my base. with future possibly going to quest mode.

am I over the limit on what I can put in decoration and such for playablity?

A19.6_2021-09-28_15-48-15.thumb.jpg.4152b19d6c37c5e868ab96a91309dc33.jpg

What are the dimensions of your POI and its total verts/triangles?  This information is displayed next to the tabs within the editor.

9 minutes ago, lil_joha said:

3 million is a bit excessive.  Keep in mind dishong tower is 4mill and its a 13 floor high rise.

High poly models is a good place to start trimming things if you want it to perform better.  If you are using alot of lights, enable the light performance checkbox and eliminate any overlapping lights.  You can reduce the radius of lights if you don't want to turn them off completely. 

Nice looking build in that screenshot. 👍

Yeah. Some of the newer decor stuff is a lot more detailed than the older stuff. If you have a lot of certain things it adds up pretty quick. And like Laz said, you have more in yours than the big skyscraper, so it's compressed into a smaller area where more of it will be rendered at the same time. 

A couple screens of the inside might show some of the bigger culprits. 

2 hours ago, lil_joha said:

high poly?   old brain. new things.  so things that have lots of shape to them?

Yes, for example, that mannequin block in your toolbelt has alot more detail (e.g. verts/tris) compared with other blocks.  This is one reason that some of these blocks are not player craftable as placing too many of them in one spot will impact performance in a big way.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

And lights can be an issue as well, especially if there are several and they all have soft shadows. Either thin them out like Laz said, or at least maybe turn shadows off or to hard and see if that helps. I had several in a busier area of one of my POIs all with soft shadows on and it was definitely noticeable. Set some to hard shadows and turned a few others off and it helped.