Wasteland - Surving the night

ra4529

Hey all,

I've been playing for a while but only solo and just one long game. So I'm not a total noob but I'm noob adjacent.

Since I learned early on (the hard way) about the Wasteland at night I've avoided it other than in the daylight.

Now I'm over level 200 and well geared so one day I was clearing a 6 story building in the wasteland when night got close.  I decided to spend the last few minutes building a quick base on top of a three story building next door.

There was no access to the roof so I built a ladder that starts three blocks off the ground and with my Parkour skill I can reach it but Z's don't seem to be able to.

I parked my gyro-copter up top and waited for night. It turned night and I saw a wraith. At that point I'm thinking "It's on!", I kill it with a head shot and wait for the horde but nothing happened.

I watched with night vision for a while then got bored and started adding to my base, I cleared part of the roof to make a flat path around the entire top of the building with rails so I could lean out, then it started raining so I built a covered spot and a couple camp fires and storage chests.

I sat by the fire until the rain stopped then patrolled around again, still nothing.

Morning came and I got back to clearing the 6 story building.

When I was done it was close to night again so I decided to hang out another night. I see a couple Z's, take em out, then like 4 more, I kill those and before I know it, I see 4 z bears, 3 z dogs in a pack, wraiths, spiders, a bunch of zombie chicks, z cops, birds... they were tearing down the building because they couldn't get to me.

I shot a ton of them until I decided to bail in my copter because I was blowing ammo like crazy and they weren't showing any signs of slowing down. 

Now my question is this.

Is the crazy horde like zombie spawning at night in the wasteland random or did I do something the first night that made everything stay quiet?

I'm playing Navezgane, no mods, v 19.6.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, ra4529 said:

Hey all,

I've been playing for a while but only solo and just one long game. So I'm not a total noob but I'm noob adjacent.

Since I learned early on (the hard way) about the Wasteland at night I've avoided it other than in the daylight.

Now I'm over level 200 and well geared so one day I was clearing a 6 story building in the wasteland when night got close.  I decided to spend the last few minutes building a quick base on top of a three story building next door.

There was no access to the roof so I built a ladder that starts three blocks off the ground and with my Parkour skill I can reach it but Z's don't seem to be able to.

I parked my gyro-copter up top and waited for night. It turned night and I saw a wraith. At that point I'm thinking "It's on!", I kill it with a head shot and wait for the horde but nothing happened.

I watched with night vision for a while then got bored and started adding to my base, I cleared part of the roof to make a flat path around the entire top of the building with rails so I could lean out, then it started raining so I built a covered spot and a couple camp fires and storage chests.

I sat by the fire until the rain stopped then patrolled around again, still nothing.

Morning came and I got back to clearing the 6 story building.

When I was done it was close to night again so I decided to hang out another night. I see a couple Z's, take em out, then like 4 more, I kill those and before I know it, I see 4 z bears, 3 z dogs in a pack, wraiths, spiders, a bunch of zombie chicks, z cops, birds... they were tearing down the building because they couldn't get to me.

I shot a ton of them until I decided to bail in my copter because I was blowing ammo like crazy and they weren't showing any signs of slowing down. 

Now my question is this.

Is the crazy horde like zombie spawning at night in the wasteland random or did I do something the first night that made everything stay quiet?

I'm playing Navezgane, no mods, v 19.6.

Thanks!

Wandering hordes spawn at certain points in your game and it doesnt matter if you make noise or not ; it'll spawn anyways. The horde appears out of your line of sight, on a part of the map, and will converge to your position, in a straight line, at the time it spawned. So if you stay on the same location all this time, they'll get right on you. If you move in the meantime to another location like 40-50 blocks away, you can sometimes see the horde passing by, without noticing you, and come across exactly where you previously were.

Edited by Kyonshi (see edit history)

Faatal and Roland have said on occasion that wandering hordes do not converge on your position but on a random position around you. So they might come directly at you or pass by even if you don't move, unless they detect you. And at least I saw this happening multiple times since A16, where I think it was implemented(!?)

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

Oh ok 🤷🏻‍♂️ Im sure that i read what i mentioned more than once. I guess i never was aware of this variation in wandering horde behavior. I observed that those hordes conducted themselves pretty much like what i initially read about them, whether i was standing in the same location until they come across me as well as when i moved further away from their path and watching them passing by, oblivious to me until i drew their attention.

I don't know the radius of that area around you. It may be too small to make much difference or the chance that it has a large radius may be small. It may not work correctly due to bugs. Lots of possibilities.

If there is a way to mod the game to create a wandering horde every minute this could be tested easily, the normal way it would just take too much time. 

I do know about wandering hordes and they show up in the console when they spawn. When this happened I checked it and there were no messages about wandering spawning.

I've tried it a couple times since and every time a ton of z's spawn and try to tear the building down, every time but that first night.

If there was a trick to not spawning tons at night in the wastelands that would be really cool but at this point my wasteland bases are going to have to put purely daytime unless I'm loaded for bear and looking for XP.

If they were not wandering hordes then it must have been zombies spawned in the area. Usually they should not be able to detect you easily if you are stealthed and don't make much noise.

Were you stealthed? Did you do any loud activity?

Naturally once you shooting at them with anything except bows, crossbows or silenced pistol all the zombies in the area will likely converge on you.

I have seen that effect. I've spent a few nights now trying to figure it out. I mined the hell out of the building below which weeded out a lot of them then started picking them off from the roof. I noticed that if I stayed stealthed sometimes, not always, they wouldn't detect me.

The first night when nothing happened,  I was building on my base with a nail gun, built a covered area when it rained and turned on the camp fire to dry off and nothing but the first Z spawned.

This last night the mines took care of a bunch of them which don't seem to attract more Z's. Maybe because mines litter the wasteland so the AI might not know when it's a player placed mine and a random one.

I was able to pick off the few left over and the waves stopped coming. Still, twice now I've had to bail because they are coming wave after wave like a mini blood moon.

It doesn't seem like I've figure out the magic sauce so I'll keep playing around with it and report back to this thread if I figure anything out.

The night time spawns in the wasteland should be pretty hectic by default, I think they don't even have a cooldown (as in, you kill one, it's free to spawn back right away). Or something to that effect. Couple things come to mind

- is the POI entirely in the wasteland, or at a biome border.. if the spot you spent the night isn't in actual wasteland, it might affect the spawns.

- you may have had the zeds spawned, but since you didn't make noise, they didn't spot you and thus just wandered around. I don't tend to sit THAT quiet ever though, but I suppose it's possible if you're roleplaying thru the night ... (I mean, the rain doesn't affect you, so .. :) )

On 9/29/2021 at 8:23 PM, ra4529 said:

've been playing for a while but only solo and just one long game. So I'm not a total noob but I'm noob adjacent.

Calling yourself noob adjacent, but going out during the night.

I've spent over a 1000 hours in 7DTD, but I'm always sure to be safely home at 10.

(OK, I have other stuff to do at night, stone for concrete to build yet another megastructure doesn't mine itself, but still)

Sounds like my first time ever in 7D2D

Very first blood moon I sat on a roof behind the chimney as I hear the zombies ripping thru the house below me. Was scared the whole night, and it was AWESOME!

Wife and a friend of our were playing DF and our 2nd horde night went south, BADLY. Zombies dropped 2 houses on us, main base house AND the backup by chewing the walls out. I ended up in a garbage truck(stuck inside) shooting them as they jumped on top to get into it to get me. Didnt end well as the truck blew up taking me and the horde around it.

Again WAS AWESOME!

Cant wait for A-20 to start up the fun again!