Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Roland

Roland

20 minutes ago, Viktoriusiii said:

Weird. but I guess that is a cultural difference after all. What seems normal to me, is a near taboo for others.
Thx for explaining. I've heard about it, but I always thought those were just the christian fundamentalists that protest basicially everything.
Didn't know it was like a common thing.

Its definitely not merely a Christian Fundamentalist thing as there are many towns and cities that have statutes written into their local laws that prohibit certain establishments from being built within a certain radius of residential neighborhoods and schools. In those cases it doesn't even require any local activism to prevent it. The businesses can't even get a permit to begin with if they try to build in a particular area. It is just those cases where there is no statute but the local neighborhoods don't want it in their neighborhood and they get together to protest and have it moved.

And it's not just businesses that are deemed sexually inappropriate by the locals but also for other reasons. We had a Walmart that had to change its location because the local small businesses got all the nearby residential zones to protest it. Walmart decided not to fight and just found a new location elsewhere in town. Marijuana dispensaries are also often blocked from being able to be built near neighborhoods that don't want them nearby.

Roland

Roland

19 minutes ago, Viktoriusiii said:

Weird. but I guess that is a cultural difference after all. What seems normal to me, is a near taboo for others.
Thx for explaining. I've heard about it, but I always thought those were just the christian fundamentalists that protest basicially everything.

Its definitely not a Christian Fundamentalist thing as there are many towns and cities that have statutes written into their local laws that prohibit certain establishments from being built within a certain radius of residential neighborhoods and schools. In those cases it doesn't even require any local activism to prevent it. The businesses can't even get a permit to begin with if they try to build in a particular area. It is just those cases where there is no statute but the local neighborhoods don't want it in their neighborhood and they get together to protest and have it moved.

And it's not just businesses that are deemed sexually inappropriate by the locals but also for other reasons. We had a Walmart that had to change its location because the local small businesses got all the nearby residential zones to protest it. Walmart decided not to fight and just found a new location elsewhere in town. Marijuana dispensaries are also often blocked from being able to be built near neighborhoods that don't want them nearby.

Roland

Roland

17 minutes ago, Viktoriusiii said:

Its definitely not a Christian Fundamentalist thing as there are many towns and cities that have statutes written into their local laws that prohibit certain establishments from being built within a certain radius of residential neighborhoods and schools. In those cases it doesn't even require any local activism to prevent it. The businesses can't even get a permit to begin with if they try to build in a particular area. It is just those cases where there is no statute but the local neighborhoods don't want it in their neighborhood and they get together to protest and have it moved.

And it's not just businesses that are deemed sexually inappropriate by the locals but also for other reasons. We had a Walmart that had to change its location because the the local small businesses got all the nearby residential zones to protest it. Walmart decided not to fight and just found a new location elsewhere in town. Marijuana dispensaries are also often blocked from being able to be built near neighborhoods that don't want them nearby.

Roland

Roland

8 minutes ago, Viktoriusiii said:

And its not just businesses that are deemed perhaps sexually inappropriate by the locals but also for other reasons. We had a Walmart that had to change its location because the the local businesses got all the nearby residential zones to protest it. Walmart decided not to fight and just found a new location in town. Marijuana dispensaries are also often blocked from being able to be built near neighborhoods that don't want them.