Endgame activities?

Spuder

So I've been playing 7DTD since Alpha 11 and is by far my favorite game. I mainly play Co-op with my wife, but also play solo here and there. A problem we've had with A18-A19 is getting board after day 30-40ish. Usually we get to the point of having all level 5 (some level 6) tier 3 weapons/tools, endless food/crafting supplies, and our base nearly complete. Yes we have some weapons/tools that we still need to get level 6, but there are only a hand full of tier 4 and 5 POI's that doing them over and over gets old quick. The tier 1-3's can be quite dull as well since we have almost all max weapons/skills and are not "challenging" enough. Usually we just start over and changes a few settings to change things up. We normally don't have many hoards with Demolishers since we start over before we really get to them. Our current game we are doing hoard every night which has been a blast since have been fighting the Demolisher for about 10 days now, but are once again reaching the point of just waiting every night for the hoard since we have almost max gear/supplies.

I feel like A20 with address some of the dullness we've had with the game with Random Gen, new POI's, new loot progressions (pipe weapons), Biome difficulties, power quests, etc...  In the meantime though what is everyone else doing when you get to "End Game"? Do you start over or is there something you do to keep you busy or find fun in doing?

the way you feel is what i feel is the same issue in a lot of early access games... the biggest deal here is, this games keeps bringing people back. but what i am seeing is, so many are riding the waves of development and are used to what ever is added or thrown out to the public (basically it wont take long before you are back to square one).

even if the game was never early access, players would play it with and without mods to keep interested for so long then the taste of boredom is there again. what  keeps me going (when i start playing long term for testing) is i do different approaches, change my style and or up the difficulty.

rest assured, when we are done and gold, we will have a very filled game and modders will only add to it afterward to make it better for other players and to keep them interested.

as for now here on the verge of a20.. we are not at end game content yet even tho everyone keeps saying the endgame content is poor.. yeah.. i'd agree since we are not there yet... but we are getting closer. this game has came a long way since i started it with a4.

so hang in there and to spice it up... send your wife in to scout while you stand guard outside.... hehe... i am joking of course.. oh i forgot to mention.. rwg in a20 will keep you busy for quite some time. :)

<throws hands in the air and runs> :)

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

the way you feel is what i feel is the same issue in a lot of early access games... the biggest deal here is, this games keeps bringing people back. but what i am seeing is, so many are riding the waves of development and are used to what ever is added or thrown out to the public (basically it wont take long before you are back to square one).

even if the game was never early access, players would play it with and without mods to keep interested for so long then the taste of boredom is there again. what  keeps me going (when i start playing long term for testing) is i do different approaches, change my style and or up the difficulty.

rest assured, when we are done and gold, we will have a very filled game and modders will only add to it afterward to make it better for other players and to keep them interested.

as for now here on the verge of a20.. we are not at end game content yet even tho everyone keeps saying the endgame content is poor.. yeah.. i'd agree since we are not there yet... but we are getting closer. this game has came a long way since i started it with a4.

so hang in there and to spice it up... send your wife in to scout while you stand guard outside.... hehe... i am joking of course.. oh i forgot to mention.. rwg in a20 will keep you busy for quite some time. :)

Yeah, the pics that have been posted on A20’s RWG have been amazing and I know those have only just scratched the surface from afar…

Our current game is the first game I haven’t gone into the intellect skill tree. Before I thought the crafting skills were must have, but I have been proven wrong. Only schematic we had trouble finding was the chemistry station. 

My next challenge will be avoiding the strength tree. Not sure how much I’ll like not having the mining perks, and reduced stam cost… 🙂

There is no endgame goal. The goal is survival.

When you and your team allready reached the max. gear level you could increase the difficult like lower the loot drop chance, made Z tougher, do less damage to Z and blocks.

But when that all nothing help, you need to raise the difficult at your own, like hardcore mode when someone is dead, he is out. Or use a mod that reset him to level 1.

Try out overhaul mod's like Darkness Fall's or Undead Legacy.

Both change the game drastical, it still looks the same but play different.

Darkness fall at last got some "story" to close the demonic portal which you could count as endgame goal ! 🙂

Yeah same here, first week or so is the best time in game imo.

My friends & I have been greatly reducing loot which does extend that I need to find this or that feeling you get early on but once you have everything you need there isn’t much to do other than crazy thing like build a ramp that goes so high you cannot see the ground, light yourself on fire and ride your motorcycle off the jump at the bottom of the ramp that jumps over a pit that holds a zombie bear.

Things like that keep you busy for a bit

The problem with this game is, that you progress way too fast. There is pretty much nothing that can stop you on day 30. You barely get to the point where hordes last all night before you are pretty much OP.

Was always this way, but after playing subsistence for a while now, i realize how fast the progress here really is. Not saying it should be as slow as in subsistence, but if TFP doesn´t want the game to be over after 40 hours there needs to be some tweaking done.

Not sure what game of endgame content besides bandits is planned. Bandits alone won´t make an actual endgame imo.

8 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

honestly- even the best map can't fill lack of enemies. L4D2 have a small number of maps but good types of enemies make it always fresh gameplay. Ofc  some POI have interesting twist like - construction zone with zombie bear but without "lore" you know what can expect from most POI.  honestly even small details in l4d2 like - whiteboard with pictures of boomer , maps etc give some info about world. in 7dtd when you see building you can say - this is shop with clothes so there will be clothes, in military base mods ammo maybe gun etc. some places like amigos without perk about coffins are not worth to go inside.  Bandits well honestly can't do anything good - humans in zombie games are the most boring enemy. I know it was goal in kickstarter but in my opinion it can't change a lot.  

so what i suggest?  7dtd need his own version of tank, witch, riot police, maybe zombies  similiar to stalker - they just stay somewhere in group 4-4 and wait to saw you- they are very inaccurate but they shot a lot. There is a lot of options for this like megahorde after 30 days.

honestly i understand why TFP decide to add steel tools parts and guns - to forced players to looking for more POI. But honestly without more types enemies it can't work good. Honestly i know 7dtd in not fantasy like conan or minecraft but a lot of types of zombies from diffrent genders of games could work good - maybe something similiar to mr.X , maybe similiar to taran from dead island or drowned zombies. 

And mods honestly can't help- i don't say moders doeasn't have skills. they have but they doesn't have tools. UMA zombies subside HD models. ofc models can be ported - from others game- like Alma from fear. But honestly most modern games too much diffrent models to get implemented to 7dtd - re2 remake or new cod, of zombies from bo2 could be added but they looks in diffrent style enough to not suit to 7dtd zombies. 

So only TFP can take care about it

4 minutes ago, Maharin said:

Fisting a bear!  I mean beating a bear to death with your fists!

Either way, it would be a challenge.

nope. this will be "fake challenge" what is diffrent? let's say - challenge : kill all bandits in  camp - this challenge because game want to do this. fake challenge - this same but using only knife- game doesn't expect from to kill them only using knife

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

I wonder if the game will ever have seasons and a battlepass type progression mechanics like Fallout 76 Online and Red Dead Redemption? I know it's not end game content, but I find it does keep me coming back for more. I want earn all those nice aesthetics, so find myself logging in to do dailies and challenges.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually play "permadeath-style" and difficulty adapted to my knowledge of the game. With that rule in place, i'm holding back from massively riding POI's. This has led to never having run out of unknown (and thus: interesting) places so far with about 8000 hours invested since A14.

There is a gameplay style which streamers and especially youtubers are highly addicted to, that involves perpetually and uninterruptedly raiding POI's SWAT-style until none remains unknown. This leads to a very intensive gameplay - which is what attracts viewers -, but at the same time minimizes the amount of time you can spend until you run out of goals. As long as you do not adhere to THAT style, you are guarantied to have a very long way to go.

In late game, i usually begin the building of prestige buildings. Since the funpimps are still having bugs with structural integrity simulation, those buildings tend to become mysteriously unstable at some point, were i usually start over.

But up to that point, i never run out of ideas to do in the game.

If you really are in need of stimuli, tale a look at youtubers like "Z-Nation FFS" or "J.C.'s Channel" or twitch-streamers like "Macinvisible"! There are a multitude of gamers out there that play 7DTD minecraft-style with building of huge fantasy and/or scifi worlds.

And in my humble opinion, THAT is where the true strength of 7DTD as a voxel based game plays out. There are endless many of games out there that let you chase enemies and raid POI's. But there are only a handful games that give you infinite freedom to build and destroy everything from atomic building blocks. Which, by the way, is THE ONE game that humans of all ages have been playing from childhood up to senectitude from earliest civilization stages up to modern computer age, independent from the materials that constitute the building blocks. That is the one reason why minecraft is so incredibly popular.

So, to round it up: The one thing you need in late game is: Fantasy style building!

12 hours ago, White-Gandalf said:

With that rule in place, i'm holding back from massively riding POI's. This has led to never having run out of unknown (and thus: interesting) places so far with about 8000 hours invested since A14.

You will absolutely adore A20 :) There are so many new locations to experience--many of which are T4 which I think is the true POI sweet spot and even a few T5s which are also fun every once in awhile or co-op. If you keep to your philosophy, A20 POIs alone will probably secure you another couple thousand hours.

I think one thing that would keep me more interested when I get to "endgame" instead of just waiting for each horde night is to build a town like Alexandria or Hilltop. All the better if on a server with a few friends. With A20 I heard that with all the blocks now you should be able to bring any building back to pristine condition. So I am looking forward to be able to do a "townflip"

Needed to think for a minute, and there are two things that actually keep me playing - survival and variety.

For both, it's just better fit to play permadeath with no traders, at least for me. For survival, lesser loot without respawn is a must. And for variety, limiting myself with different self-imposed restrictions does the trick - single biome, single perk tree, etc.

Edited by ijese (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Gamida said:

I think one thing that would keep me more interested when I get to "endgame" instead of just waiting for each horde night is to build a town like Alexandria or Hilltop. All the better if on a server with a few friends. With A20 I heard that with all the blocks now you should be able to bring any building back to pristine condition. So I am looking forward to be able to do a "townflip"

POI restoration is a fun challenge and is very immersive.  There is a very rewarding feeling from restoring the world even if only POI at a time.

I think my ideal setup would be a way to secure a larger area of all zombie spawning, sorta like building a settlement.

This is already doable with multiple players but would love for a way to do so SP as well.

The cherry on top would be securing NPCs for my settlement. 😃

6 hours ago, Laz Man said:

POI restoration is a fun challenge and is very immersive.  There is a very rewarding feeling from restoring the world even if only POI at a time.

I think my ideal setup would be a way to secure a larger area of all zombie spawning, sorta like building a settlement.

This is already doable with multiple players but would love for a way to do so SP as well.

The cherry on top would be securing NPCs for my settlement. 😃

Speaking of securing a large area. Do you know or could you find out if putting down player blocks will stop zombies from spawning on them. I have heard sometimes it doesn't work. Would be nice for those areas sligltly larger than your land claim area.

I was thinking along the lines of digging up the ground around the area and replacing it with something like dirt blocks.

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)

12 hours ago, Gamida said:

Endgame scenario:

You got someone with Inteligence 11/12 which  is able to reseach a cure or nanovirus that turns zombie's into pile of rotting flesh.

Then you need to takeover one of these rocketbases or build an new one.

While you activate the rockets, you geting a constant blood moon event duration 2-7 days.

After that you won the game and a credits screen appear and you will see a hall of fame.

On 9/18/2021 at 1:09 PM, Roland said:

You will absolutely adore A20 :) There are so many new locations to experience--many of which are T4 which I think is the true POI sweet spot and even a few T5s which are also fun every once in awhile or co-op. If you keep to your philosophy, A20 POIs alone will probably secure you another couple thousand hours.

all i want roland is a massively improved RWG because right now it looks like someone drunk threw up on a blank canvas XD

37 minutes ago, secateurs said:

Then why is survival not very hard, or rewarding?

Why then is there no real penalty for dying?

This game is a looter shooter without the challenges that make finding loot great.

I assume you are playing vanilla and that you are experienced by now? Well, vanilla is supposed to be digestible to new players and there are a lot of new players who complain the game is hard for them. Players who played the game a few times and are still interested in it are supposed to eventually get their fun from playing mods.

7 hours ago, secateurs said:

Then why is survival not very hard, or rewarding?

Why then is there no real penalty for dying?

This game is a looter shooter without the challenges that make finding loot great.

Delete all on death is a pretty good optional penalty for dying. Try it out.  The game can be a looter shooter if you play it that way. But it can also be played otherwise.

On 9/19/2021 at 9:12 PM, 7daystodierocks said:

all i want roland is a massively improved RWG because right now it looks like someone drunk threw up on a blank canvas XD

Granted!

Out of all the options presented, its the replayability that brings me back.   Also, when I want to look for a change of pace, I try to actively build outposts and expand operation here and there across the map.  I do this both in SP and MP.   This keeps the game fresh for me because sometimes I have to change my environment to feel like things are progressing.   I don't really have much fun sitting in giant fortresses and crafting bases for weeks at a time.   And that's the key thing to me.   When I get utterly bored of a map I make a new one, and start fresh and the challenges start anew.  Once I get to about gamestage 150+ everything slows down considerably for me.

I think keeping things fresh is really what gets me to cycle on.   Also, trying new scenarios REALLY digs me in.   I @#$#$ love Romero mod in single player.   The initial gamestage challenges make it damn near impossible for me to fully raid medium sized POI's from start to finish without having to drag the horde into the street and lining up your headshots.  Large POI's are a damn nightmare, but it just... gets to me.  The futility of survival.  Also, loosing your backpack and toolbelt I find to be integral to actually feeling like there's a death penalty.  If you never loose anything, the death penalty feels hollow.

That's when survival starts feeling like a reward, when you have SO much to loose.

Edited by Ramethzer0 (see edit history)