Horde Night feedback - less smart zombies

John Black

On 9/2/2021 at 1:10 AM, John Black said:

We use JaxTeller718’s x4 'Increased Wilderness Zombies', it's an amazing change and I would recommend it to anyone feeling that the apocalypse is empty. Just don't get stuck in the wasteland without ammo at night 😁. We had to go back to MaxSpawnedZombies=64 after the 2nd night in the wasteland but even after reverting things are still action packed all over the map(only 3 of us on the server).

I also use that mod. It's great, except, I would like it more if you could adjust the number of roaming zombies to be a lot higher around towns and cities and sparse in wilderness.  That was how it was in A15 when they had the hub cities.  Made it very, very exciting going to loot in the city. :)

29 minutes ago, hotpoon said:

That was how it was in A15 when they had the hub cities.  Made it very, very exciting going to loot in the city. :)

That is one of the things I most wish they would bring back.  A city somewhere on the map with a LOT more zombies than normal.  It could even be a smaller city to make it lag less, if needed, so long as the extreme danger returns to that area.

On 9/2/2021 at 4:46 PM, AtomicUs5000 said:

I always wished that there were things you could do to mitigate demo damage using select materials. For example, putting a layer of dirt/sand in between two walls. 

+1

I must admit I had 1000s of hours in this game before the AI got changed. Horde night used to be great when you got surprised by a couple of zombies that had 'got in round the back'.

Now they just tend to line up and wait to be smacked on the head, I rarely play anymore.

I miss the random AI so much. I also miss the zombies ability to smell. Night time is now way too easy. I used to spent the first few nights in a dark corner hidden (with my meat stashed away) terrified. Now I just treat the nights the same as days. 

Edited by dxbydy (see edit history)
  • Have a Cookie 1

8 hours ago, dxbydy said:

Now they just tend to line up and wait to be smacked on the head, I rarely play anymore.

You can control this to a degree with how you build your base. If you build a base that specifically exploits them into lining up and waiting to be smacked then that is what you will get. But build a basic bunker style and you will get more of the random surrounding behavior that you remember. There is a current meta with designing a base that creates a killing corridor that they will mostly follow and predictably killing them all-- but you don't have to follow that meta. Make a simple tower surrounded by spikes like in the old days and you may get some surprises. Make an exploitive base that you saw someone build on YouTube that grinds up all the zombies in predictable ways and you will kill them all efficiently and boringly.  Its true that they will tend to go to the weakest point but there is also a lot of randomness in their behavior now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dxbydy said:

I also miss the zombies ability to smell. Night time is now way too easy. I used to spent the first few nights in a dark corner hidden (with my meat stashed away) terrified. Now I just treat the nights the same as days. 

Wait until Feral Sense comes in Alpha 20.  Based on Roland's feedback, nights will become more interesting if you set that to On.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dxbydy said:

I must admit I had 1000s of hours in this game before the AI got changed. Horde night used to be great when you got surprised by a couple of zombies that had 'got in round the back'.

I miss the random AI so much. I also miss the zombies ability to smell. Night time is now way too easy. I used to spent the first few nights in a dark corner hidden (with my meat stashed away) terrified. Now I just treat the nights the same as days. 

This isnt really a problem from the game, its just that you now know how it works and you exploit the game design at your advantage. Its just a normal process and assurance that we acquire over time, in any game of the genre.

They still come from all sides, it just depends on the type of base you have. Case in point, you can watch the Lockdown series from Glock9. He made his horde base in the vanilla prison and although he has an open entry point on the front, the Zs came from various sides and angles and he had to adapt.

I also was afraid of going out at night during my early 7DTD sessions and i couldnt deal with Zs coming from all sides because my horde base setup was deficient. Nowadays, just like you, im comfortable whatever the situation is and my adaptation capacity is much sharper than before. But Darkness Falls can flip that up quite intensily, trust me on that. Its almost like you have to learn how to play, all over again.

• Like 2