new owner needs help

stormierant

Hi I'm a new owner of a server and I am stuck. I have entered the infomation in the saved config file but when I use the f1 key and a command it says command denied. Could someone with more about this please help me out. it would be great because the server is getting populated and I would like to be able to use the needed commands to keep order and run the server while in game not having the go to the server setup.

Many thanks.

You need to make yourself the admin of the server. In the servers Saves folder, there is a file called serveradmin.xml. Open that file(edit the file) and there are instructions on how to make yourself and anyone else you want to be admin with various levels of authority. For yourself, you want to give yourself level 0 to be full admin.

Let’s make sure you are doing things correctly. In order to issue admin commands, you hit F1 to open the conole then you type dm then enter. You should see a response that dm was successful. If typing dm was unsuccessful, then there must be something wrong in the serveradmin.xml.

So firstly, was the dm command successful??

You can’t issue admin commands until you’ve entered dm successfully

IT still says denied. so no it was not successful. I input all the info under the admin tab in the xmlsave config folder. In my server in g portal. Restarted the server and nothing. The line I used was in the example given I copy and paste the line and filled in the info needed I seriously don't understand where I went wrong.

<!-- <user steamID="76561198021925107" name="Hint on who this user is" permission_level="0" /> -->

put my steamID in the relevant slot and name in where name should be.

It might be that the name is my steam name and not in game name ??

Put this in your serveradmin.xml file:

<user SteamID="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" permission_level="0" />

where xxxxxxxxxxxx is your steam id; you don't need to put your name. The quotation marks are needed and there is an extra space after "0" before />

This is copied directly from my own server file so I know that it works.

If you have entered this correctly, when you join the server, on the player list your name is preceded by star. If there is no star, there's a syntax error in your serveradmin.xml file. That file also shows at which admin level you get certain commands. Let me know if this works.

your name is optional so let's keep it out for now

9 hours ago, stormierant said:

IT still says denied. so no it was not successful. I input all the info under the admin tab in the xmlsave config folder. In my server in g portal. Restarted the server and nothing. The line I used was in the example given I copy and paste the line and filled in the info needed I seriously don't understand where I went wrong.

<!-- <user steamID="76561198021925107" name="Hint on who this user is" permission_level="0" /> -->

put my steamID in the relevant slot and name in where name should be.

It might be that the name is my steam name and not in game name ??

The <!-- and --> signify comments in XML. Everything between them is ignored.