Jump to content

We shouldn't be able to pick up Vehicles


Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, meganoth said:

which might be intentional to make people decide between the easy roads and the bumpy shortcuts. There were also plans to make vehicles break down faster when they travel off-road.

 

But the easy roads are sometimes not an option because they end somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Then you have to drive cross-country, whether you want to or not. I hope that the road network outside the cities has also been improved in random gen in A20.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

which might be intentional to make people decide between the easy roads and the bumpy shortcuts. There were also plans to make vehicles break down faster when they travel off-road.

 

Yeah but this is just " bad connection" bettwen materials like wood and contry road

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Crater Creator said:

 

I think that would throw the baby out with the bathwater, since the context of that idea was to "improve the experience with disappearing or stuck vehicles."  If players get mad about losing their vehicle, they sure as heck will get mad about losing the stuff in the vehicle.

ok.. maybe the 'loot go poof' part was a little harsh..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2021 at 12:33 PM, RipClaw said:

Recently, a truck was added to the game "The Infected." You can flip it when it lands on the roof and if it gets lost or is stuck you can teleport it back to the garage.
 

Yeah, the flip and teleport to garage thing works very well too, like in Borderlands as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Players should not be able to move the vehicles into the inventory within the blink of an eye in a PVP scenario - at least while the vehicle does not have the full HP, the process could last like 10 - 15 seconds. It`s more or like the matter of abuse of the system. Digging canyons under the vehicles to finally leave the hole is as much realistic as picking up the vehicle itself... that`s solely my biased opinion.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, RipClaw said:

But the easy roads are sometimes not an option because they end somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Then you have to drive cross-country, whether you want to or not. I hope that the road network outside the cities has also been improved in random gen in A20.

 

Sometimes you have to drink the murky water (experienced players won't anymore, but...), sometimes you have to cross a mountain range without a path and at the worst moment your car breaks down. That is survival, that really really should happen from time to time.

 

21 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Yeah but this is just " bad connection" bettwen materials like wood and contry road

 

Huh??

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, meganoth said:

 

Sometimes you have to drink the murky water (experienced players won't anymore, but...), sometimes you have to cross a mountain range without a path and at the worst moment your car breaks down. That is survival, that really really should happen from time to time.

 

 

Huh??

 

well one guy  post this link with screenshots and this happens with diffrents materials Imgur: The magic of the Internet

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Matt115 said:

well one guy  post this link with screenshots and this happens with diffrents materials Imgur: The magic of the Internet

 

 

The gaps have nothing to do with crossroad driving. The hills with the uneven terrain are intentionally uneven and in contrast to the flat terrain of the plains.

 

The gaps are (AFAIK) a result of smoothing natural ground while "construction" blocks are "blocky", i.e. ideal forms that can be constructed out of a few triangles. This is a compromise and will likely not change (so I heard a developer say many months ago)

 

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, meganoth said:

 

The gaps have nothing to do with crossroad driving. The hills with the uneven terrain are intentionally uneven and in contrast to the flat terrain of the plains.

 

The gaps are (AFAIK) a result of smoothing natural ground while blocks are "blocky". This is a compromise and will likely not change.

 

i know. i mean sometimes can stuck on this and that's why picking up vehicle is important. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I played also that alpha version where we had the "perlin" caves and I used the minibike.

 

It was A LOT of fun, actually. I had to tag on the map the cave entrances and sometimes build small bridges to cross the gaps in the terrain with my minibike, I also had to build small lamp posts so that I could react in time and see the bridge while driving.

 

That's what I'm talking about.

But I see a lot of people are more comfortable with automatic this and automatic that... oh, well. :ohwell:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's a great challenge mode! I'd love a setting, like Carry-able Vehicles (ON/OFF). But I'm sure someone can figure out how to make this a reality. 

As much as I agree with OP, I don't think this is so important that it can't be done through settings or mods. I'm definitely going to give it a try for one of my playthroughs. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was just looking at some mods, and I found out that Ravenhearst mod has exactly what I'm talking about.

Cool. :cool2:

Vehicle Pickup Disable

Realistic weights on vehicles. You can no longer pick up and store your heavy vehicles. Bicycles can be picked up. Be careful while driving and prepare to dig a vehicle out if it is stuck.

Edited by Jost Amman (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

I was just looking at some mods, and I found out that Ravenhearst mod has exactly what I'm talking about.

Cool. :cool2:

Vehicle Pickup Disable

Realistic weights on vehicles. You can no longer pick up and store your heavy vehicles. Bicycles can be picked up. Be careful while driving and prepare to dig a vehicle out if it is stuck.

That's great! Can this mod be installed as stand alone?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

This is an option in the upcoming ServerTools version 19.6.4. It turns off all vehicle pick up if you so wish

Take note, ServerTools is for dedicated servers, not single player. You could load a dedicated server and play on it solo of course 

On 9/5/2021 at 6:15 PM, TWORDY said:

Players should not be able to move the vehicles into the inventory within the blink of an eye in a PVP scenario - at least while the vehicle does not have the full HP, the process could last like 10 - 15 seconds. It`s more or like the matter of abuse of the system. Digging canyons under the vehicles to finally leave the hole is as much realistic as picking up the vehicle itself... that`s solely my biased opinion.

I am working on the code for the upcoming ServerTools release that allows you to stop vehicle pickup. The timed event you mentioned is a really interesting idea. I can already stop the pick up but I wonder if it would be possible to start a timer, ask them to stand still and then give them the bike after the timer is up so long as they did not move. I don't see why not. It would add a sort of breakdown/prep time to it

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Kattla said:

A somewhat related video... About horses, not cars. But i think it explains the topic fairly well.

edit: Not my video.

I just started watching these videos.  My favorite so far is Turn order

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I for one, am glad we can pick up vehicles.  They glitch and are sometimes rough to deal with when you hit invisible bouncy walls and get catapaulted several feet up into the air, or fall into the ground.  I remember once my minibike glitched literally under a highway.

 

So I'm thankful.

 

But honestly.. you're not required to pick them up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Ramethzer0 said:

I for one, am glad we can pick up vehicles.  They glitch and are sometimes rough to deal with when you hit invisible bouncy walls and get catapaulted several feet up into the air, or fall into the ground.  I remember once my minibike glitched literally under a highway.

That's because your PC can't keep up with the chunks loading, has nothing to do with normal gameplay.

When the game will be optimized better, this won't happen anymore (I hope).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...