Low FPS on a high end PC -> shadow issues

DonDregon

2 hours ago, DonDregon said:

can't say much because setting affinity for 4 real cores (8 virtual cores) does not add any improvement on performance nor stability to me as far as I've tried.

This is because you assigned the game 8 threads, just assign the 4 physical cores not the virtual threads. Physical cores start at core 0, then core 1 is core 0's virtual thread, then core 2 is a physical core, core 3 is core 2's virtual threads etc so forth. So you just want core 0,2,4,6

Benchmarks from my other system

Specs
cpu: AMD 5950x 16 Core 32 Threads
Ram: 64gb 3600mhz
GPU: RTX 3090

All setting's set to ultra, except motion blur which is disabled.

spacer.png

This time the affinity tweak came out on top, but combining the tweaks still wins the day. Like i've said many times 7DTD doesn't like having tons of threads available to it, the more threads it has the worse the performance is. This is why the affinity tweak won this round because the game had access to 32 threads it couldn't use efficiently.

If you want to run a similar benchmark, choose a new game on nav's map. Since i use the "settime day" command to reset the time of day after every run, i wouldn't recommend doing this on a world you intend to play on, since settime is notorious for breaking things. i also use GPUZ and it's sensors tab to log the avg gpu load and clock speed, just reset the log just before you start a new run and remember to screen cap the app after every run to somewhat accurately record the averages and add them to the benchmark txt data.

I'd also recommend you follow my benchmark run around Diresvile if you want it to be comparable, i'll leave the exact path i follow below (note the image is from a14 and the working stiffs before the bridge is now on the other side of the street)

Spoiler

spacer.png

I used to use food and coffee to continually sprint, but it's no longer necessary. You can how enable debug mode in the console (dm) and hit Q the H. Q is god mode and H is fly mode, first go into god mode for unlimited stamina and then disable fly mode so you can run like normal.

22 hours ago, Naz said:

This is because you assigned the game 8 threads, just assign the 4 physical cores not the virtual threads. Physical cores start at core 0, then core 1 is core 0's virtual thread, then core 2 is a physical core, core 3 is core 2's virtual threads etc so forth. So you just want core 0,2,4,6

understood, I'm taking a try just now and let's see :D

@Naz I've set the affinity config as you said (0, 2, 4, 6), instead getting 81-125 now i'm getting 98-119 while most of time seeing numbers between 101 and 111 so I can say both combined are pretty good, even lowered the highest peak I'm getting more average fps and better stability.

Now I'm gonna test in-game video options to check if some make more difference than before and conclude this entire stuff.

@SylenThunder as a moderator, do you thing this entire stuff qualifies to be a pinned "something" as instructions for everyone to reach the most performance possible on the game or something similar? I can write it down pointing Naz's post about 4-core limit plus this boot.config tweak as well as video options tweaks and Naz can provide benchmarks and maybe add further details for example (if you want so as you've already screenshot some).

Edited by DonDregon (see edit history)

22 hours ago, DonDregon said:

@SylenThunder as a moderator, do you thing this entire stuff qualifies to be a pinned "something" as instructions for everyone to reach the most performance possible on the game or something similar?

Have done this before, but there isn't a flat set of settings and configuration that works on all systems. Add to this that it's a moving target. Each update changes values. Sometimes quite severely. 

I do keep track of a lot of the tips, and when the game is closer to the end of Beta, I fully intend to put something like this together. It's a lot of work though, and as it is right now, I'm about a year behind on updating some of the support FAQ. I need to do a full re-design there, and am thinking of splitting it into two separate threads. Maybe three.

Seems like every time I start to get caught up, life throws a wrench in the mix.   Soon as I get done with restoration from the tornado damage, and take care of a few other tasks, I should have a fair amount of free time again. At the current rate of affairs, that will probably be around the time a20 drops. So then I'll be busy with stuff again. :P  (Actually might work out in favor of things here though. I'm already gathering some things together. Like chess, I'm typically thinking several moves ahead.)

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to follow up with some more info on the bootconfig tweak. Seems it isn't compatible with EAC, so unfortunately players can't use it if they play on a EAC enabled server. It would have to be part of vanilla which is a shame since it's a really simple change and on initial tests provides a great deal more performance.