Option to turn off radiation in the wasteland (Alpha 20)

Espen

The wasteland and burnt forest are the only 2 biomes that adds some nice desolate and apocalyptic vibes to this game. From what i hear, they will be merged into one biome, that will be radiated, so we can only visit them for short periods. This means that it will not be possible to live there permanently.

I really like these biomes, so id be very happy if there was an option to turn off this radiation.

8 hours ago, Espen said:

The wasteland and burnt forest are the only 2 biomes that adds some nice desolate and apocalyptic vibes to this game. From what i hear, they will be merged into one biome, that will be radiated, so we can only visit them for short periods. This means that it will not be possible to live there permanently.

I really like these biomes, so id be very happy if there was an option to turn off this radiation.

I believe that with progression involved, the wasteland will be accessible to anyone. The main purpose of radiation is the end game area with the best loot to be found (or at least a possibility to find it earlier?), purely risk-reward zone. This particular biome obviously will not be dedicated/recommended for rookies on day 1. 

It`s like disabling zombies in post-apo zombie game a bit. 

20 hours ago, TWORDY said:

I believe that with progression involved, the wasteland will be accessible to anyone. The main purpose of radiation is the end game area with the best loot to be found (or at least a possibility to find it earlier?), purely risk-reward zone. This particular biome obviously will not be dedicated/recommended for rookies on day 1. 

well radiation zone works like borders of the map like in cod far cry mad max. but it looks better when radiation kill you that just die

22 hours ago, TWORDY said:

Yeah, accessible for short periods, but not possible to live in. As they plan to add a 3X multiplier to the gamestage in the wasteland, the enemies will be pretty hardcore, so removing the radiation would not be equivalent to "easy loot". I wonder how the hordenights would be there...

If it will not be possible to turn off, then i guess someone will find out how to edit the xml file to remove it, and maybe lower the gamestage multiplier. Would be easier to have it in the settings though, and ideally being able to set it individually for each biome. This game has so many customizations for difficulty, and i dont see why this stuff should not also be possible to tailor to ones own playstyle.

2 hours ago, Matt115 said:

well radiation zone works like borders of the map like in cod far cry mad max. but it looks better when radiation kill you that just die

Im not talking about the radiation zone around the edges of the map. In Alpha 20, the wasteland and burnt forest will merge into a single biome that is radiated, so you can only visit it for short periods. I want the possibility to turn off this radiation, so i can [try to] live there permanently...

At the moment this is all speculation. With the 3X multiplier I believe you are misinterpreting madmoles words in a video. And as long as we haven't actually played it TFP will give no credibility to opinions or requests derived from guessing how A20 will be like.

Developers usually don't want to include too many options and there are already many difficulty-related options. There surely will be mods that either turn off radiation or simply provide you with a natural radiation resistance.

4 hours ago, meganoth said:

Developers usually don't want to include too many options and there are already many difficulty-related options.

I just want to experience the vibe/atmosphere of that biome, so increasing difficulty while living in another biome will not provide this same feeling...

Certain types of options may be a lot of work to implement, but im guessing this one would only be a simple "true/false" setting, and pretty quick and easy to implement.

Anyway, im guessing editing the XML file will be pretty simple, so...

I can confirm that presently there is no generalized radiation covering the entire wasteland biome in A20. My understanding of the feature is that it will be localized to specific zones within the wasteland with three intensities present so that if you start walking into a radiation zone it starts out weak and then grows in strength the deeper you go. I think that the idea of the entire wasteland biome being radiated is a misinterpretation. If they do end up going that route, it would be the weakest version of the three that would blanket the entire biome and could be mitigated by ingame meds and gear so that players could continue to live inside the wasteland pretty easily with a bit of maintenance.

I think your worries are unfounded.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

I can confirm that presently there is no generalized radiation covering the entire wasteland biome in A20. My understanding of the feature is that it will be localized to specific zones within the wasteland with three intensities present so that if you start walking into a radiation zone it starts out weak and then grows in strength the deeper you go. I think that the idea of the entire wasteland biome being radiated is a misinterpretation. If they do end up going that route, it would be the weakest version of the three that would blanket the entire biome and could be mitigated by ingame meds and gear so that players could continue to live inside the wasteland pretty easily with a bit of maintenance.

I think your worries are unfounded.

THANK YOU!!! I heard several youtubers talk about this, so this was a relief 😁

32 minutes ago, Espen said:

THANK YOU!!! I heard several youtubers talk about this, so this was a relief 😁

That is usually want happens.  TFP mentions upcoming changes but not provide a lot of details.  YouTubers start to theorize what those changes may be and then start putting out worst case scenarios (and never once have actually played under those conditions), then someone who actually has played it or more involved with the developers comes along and say - Hold up, it isn't planned like that  🙂

Speculation run amok.  🤫

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

That is usually want happens.  TFP mentions upcoming changes but not provide a lot of details.  YouTubers start to theorize what those changes may be and then start putting out worst case scenarios (and never once have actually played under those conditions), then someone who actually has played it or more involved with the developers comes along and say - Hold up, it isn't planned like that  🙂

Speculation run amok.  🤫

Yeah... I have a feeling this new biome is gonna look really nice, which would have made it even worse to not be able to build there 😅