Jump to content

Can we be a little more careful with EXP -> Stable pushes???


Recommended Posts

On 7/31/2021 at 7:38 AM, meganoth said:

I would be on Rolands side here but for one little detail: The fact that the last stable version in steam is not available by name but is selected by "opting out of all betas". Because of this players playing the mod with latest stable version automatically get updated to a new stable version and are left with a broken mod.

 

 

 

Someone installing a mod should have it in another directory.  If they are smart enough to manual install they should install in that way themselves.  If the use the mod launcher that sphereii made it will do that for them.  That way they don't get a download that breaks their game.  So this is not an issue if they do it the correct way.

On 7/31/2021 at 11:26 AM, KhaineGB said:


This.

It is ESPECIALLY true with third party server hosts who often just update the server on the clients behalf and do not offer a rollback service. Even modded ones.

Does not sound like these servers are modding friendly if they auto update and should be avoided for this reason.  For the client side of it (as I said to another post) if a mod is installed right it should be done in a different directory.  Then it would not get an update automatically and they could update once the modder has released a tested update.  We don't have steam workshop yet so there is not reason for them to install mods directly to their steam installed 7 days.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Anabella said:

Does not sound like these servers are modding friendly if they auto update and should be avoided for this reason.  For the client side of it (as I said to another post) if a mod is installed right it should be done in a different directory.  Then it would not get an update automatically and they could update once the modder has released a tested update.  We don't have steam workshop yet so there is not reason for them to install mods directly to their steam installed 7 days.


You'd honestly be surprised how many hosts do it. It's scary

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay guys I think we might be overreacting on this. Now I understand if we did some code changes for 19.6 b8 that we should have kept it in experimental for longer but the change that happened was changing the width of two labels and the position of a label in the twitch window. This was to fix an overlap with the twitch status and the cooldown timer. There was no hidden C# change at all. Just an xml change to windows.xml. 

Changed xml.PNG

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, KhaineGB said:


You'd honestly be surprised how many hosts do it. It's scary

Then they need to find ones that don't do that.  I make sure that all my modded games are that way. I don't want them running an auto update for two reasons. One the mod might not be ready (or I have to make special changes to config files) and two it might be a change that has issues/bugs that would stop me from playing.  Sure have had enough of the latter happen with games like Ark. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I rent a bare metal server so I can fully control it, but I know that's not for everyone. :D

10 minutes ago, Prime said:

Okay guys I think we might be overreacting on this. Now I understand if we did some code changes for 19.6 b8 that we should have kept it in experimental for longer but the change that happened was changing the width of two labels and the position of a label in the twitch window. This was to fix an overlap with the twitch status and the cooldown timer. There was no hidden C# change at all. Just an xml change to windows.xml. 

Changed xml.PNG


You sure about that? Because i've got 2 C# patches that worked in 19.6b7 which now don't. One straight up crashes the main menu so hard that it doesn't even load the GUI (works if the patch is removed and DLL recompiled), second is AI-based and only triggers if the entity that uses the AI spawns (have removed the entity for now as it's non-critical)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/31/2021 at 2:59 AM, Jost Amman said:

I'd also factor in the fact that mods, Darkness Falls and the others, according to all the posts I read on Steam, are the biggest reason why the game is still played today in such big numbers by the community.

This is possibly the biggest elephant in this thread. I'd love to know how many players are running a completely un-modded version of the game. It's an amazing game, one of my favorites of all time actually, but mods improve it and give it longevity. So, a bit of heads up (respect) for the modders seems like a good idea.

Edited by fabulux
add info (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, fabulux said:

This is possibly the biggest elephant in this thread. I'd love to know how many players are running a completely un-modded version of the game. It's an amazing game, one of my favorites of all time actually, but mods improve it and give it longevity. So, a bit of heads up (respect) for the modders seems like a good idea.

Where did you see here that modders were treated with lack of respect?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, fabulux said:

This is possibly the biggest elephant in this thread. I'd love to know how many players are running a completely un-modded version of the game. It's an amazing game, one of my favorites of all time actually, but mods improve it and give it longevity. So, a bit of heads up (respect) for the modders seems like a good idea.

I don't think it's a question of "lack of respect", it's just priorities.

 

Also remember that, if I recall correctly, both Rick and Joel started as modders a long time ago. This means they would never intentionally treat them as crap. Also, it's not like this happened on purpose... probably it could even be something wrong in KhaineGB setup for all we can understand. Anyway, I think the air has been cleared and nobody wants to beat on a dead horse now. :deadhorse:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Guppycur said:

Well this has been an interesting conversation... 

 

I agree with everyone. :)

 

... K, have you tried just that dmt code by itself against 19.8, without the other bits and pieces? 


Yup. Same thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/2/2021 at 9:25 AM, Prime said:

Okay guys I think we might be overreacting on this. Now I understand if we did some code changes for 19.6 b8 that we should have kept it in experimental for longer but the change that happened was changing the width of two labels and the position of a label in the twitch window. This was to fix an overlap with the twitch status and the cooldown timer. There was no hidden C# change at all. Just an xml change to windows.xml. 

Changed xml.PNG

Prime i think all khaine is trying to say is at least give the modders a small heads up so they at least know what to expect :)

  • Knuckle Rub 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, 7daystodierocks said:

Prime i think all khaine is trying to say is at least give the modders a small heads up so they at least know what to expect :)

 

I think all Prime is trying to say is this was not the norm and it looks like the problem caused by the update was a fluke so no need for the anger and reaction that accompanied the request for a heads up. TFP normally has been giving heads ups and will continue to do so. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Roland said:

 

I think all Prime is trying to say is this was not the norm and it looks like the problem caused by the update was a fluke so no need for the anger and reaction that accompanied the request for a heads up. TFP normally has been giving heads ups and will continue to do so. 

true but i think we can both understand where OP is coming from :)

  • Knuckle Rub 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 7daystodierocks said:

true but i think we can both understand where OP is coming from :)

I think Roland and everybody else knows that. But Khaine made this topic regarding a specific line of code that was suspected to be problematic and Prime answered the issue quite clearly. This wasnt a PSA to be nice to modders in general because the Pimps are open to modding and modders commenting on the game, this is a well-known fact.

 

Roland even passed the note to Sascha to try and ease things even more than they already are. I dont think its necessary to keep hitting this nail. If that would be on me, this topic would be closed.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...