Graphics Card Advice

Myke

Hey guys i just bought this game yesterday with my gf, she is excited to play it and i am as well. After some loading issues we got into the game just fine. However, i had such bad fps issues that it was unplayable. I would like to enjoy it with her (she is running things fine, with a better pc then i have). Now here is my question, i have two graphics cards, which one will run this game better?

Nvidia GeForce GT 730 (currenlt installed)

Nvidia GeForce GTX 9800 (i have this in a box, it is slightly older)

Looking the two cards up they seem similar, with each card having some things better then the other. I want to know if switching to the 9800 will give me any fps boosts and make the game run smoother overall. I have already toyed with the ingame settings and disabled everything and lowered all settings as far as i could. Skype and7dtd are all that is open when i play.

Here are my other PC specs.

Intel Xeon W3550 3.07ghz

12 GB ram

Monitor :1920x1080 (using a vga cable)

If i can give any more info i will, i just want to be able to play this game, even at lowest settings i want to be able to move xD thanks for any help guys!

Nvidia GeForce GT 730: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+730

Nvidia GeForce GTX 9800: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+9800+GTX%2F9800+GTX%2B

GT 730 is ever so slightly better, but really though, you're not going to notice the difference at all aside from the extra video memory buffering.

I do think it's weird that you're using a server CPU to play games with it.

Does using the xeon hold me back very much? In about a year or 2 i would like to get a new pc. Thanks for the responses guys, looks like im just going to have to get a new card. Anyways, would the xeon hold me back? If i got a good graphics card would i be pretty solid or are there other things i might need to replace? Do any of you have a good graphics card recommendation in the price range of 70-150$? The best for that price i guess. Im not looking for ultra settings, i just want to play games decently for another year or two at medium-low. Thanks again.

• 3 years later...

I am still looking for a decent graphics card in 2018

I am sure that you have upgraded to the best graphics till now and i also need to upgrade in 2018, so i was thinking to buy Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050. I am confused that will it work good for running GTA 5 ?. This graphics is suggest by many sites like http://www.thebestadvices.com/best-graphics-cards/. I have also seen that there are many good reiews on Amazon too.

GTX 1050 has near identical performance to the old GTX 660 ti and GTX 480. So if you really want that card, maybe also look into a used GTX 660 TI or GTX 480 and see if you can find a good deal on one. As far as GTA 5 goes, you'd probably be able to play that game on lower settings.

I personally run games on an OC GTX 1060 (which is twice the performance of a GTX 1050), and I love it. Runs nearly every game on ultra settings.

GTX 1050 has near identical performance to the old GTX 660 ti and GTX 480. So if you really want that card, maybe also look into a used GTX 660 TI or GTX 480 and see if you can find a good deal on one. As far as GTA 5 goes, you'd probably be able to play that game on lower settings.

I personally run games on an OC GTX 1060 (which is twice the performance of a GTX 1050), and I love it. Runs nearly every game on ultra settings.

And for the price, you really can't go wrong with a 1060 either.

Same boat here. I used to run a GTX 660 Ti that was OC'ed from the factory, and then I specced it even further. Now I'm running a 1060 6GB with factory OC. Haven't really felt the need to push it any further either.

You can usually find a 660 for about $100. You can get a 1060 for about $250. The extra price is definitely worth it though.

Archived