Stopping lag.. I could use some help.

nafeasonto

9 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

The issue isn't writing to RAM, it's that when you're storing a lot of data in RAM, and then have to write it to the disk, it's going to be an extremely large operation.  Make a copy of the Regions folder, and see how long that takes. Now imagine it has to do that every few minutes instead of just writing to the files live.  Also look at the total size of the files. At least that much RAM would be in use by the client.

This is a pretty basic representation, and it could be optimized a little bit. However the current method is the most optimal.

What does the -nographics argument do?

On 7/21/2021 at 4:34 AM, SylenThunder said:

Tells it that it's running headless.

Dude the server is still going to down to 13FPS with like 7 people onm.  This is making no sense at this point, even with the SSDs.  Is it that it doesn't like VM's? Like wtf is going on, it's so damn frustrating. 

I'll be honest, this seems extreme, but also like it is on his end somehow. As I said before (this thread or another) I moved my 7 Days server back to an old Optiplex workstation. It is an i5-2400, 16GB of DDR3, and a single 500GB SATA HDD. We have had five players on and no issues. If that garbage desktop can run it his server should blow it out of the water. Not blaming the game but his specs should be plenty. Perhaps something is bottle-necking him via virtualization? The desktop I am hosting on is 7 Pro 64bit on bare metal.

That's the only thing I can think of, it doesn't like the VM.  Because nothing else makes any sense. 

7 hours ago, The_Great_Sephiroth said:

I'll be honest, this seems extreme, but also like it is on his end somehow. As I said before (this thread or another) I moved my 7 Days server back to an old Optiplex workstation. It is an i5-2400, 16GB of DDR3, and a single 500GB SATA HDD. We have had five players on and no issues. If that garbage desktop can run it his server should blow it out of the water. Not blaming the game but his specs should be plenty. Perhaps something is bottle-necking him via virtualization? The desktop I am hosting on is 7 Pro 64bit on bare metal.

I may have to check this:

Capture.png

It's VT-d.  It helps the host system communicate correctly with the CPU going through a VM.  I am going to try this late tonight.  It just seems weird to me that the CPU is sitting so low on percentage.  You triggered my memory on these two options, it has to be the VM, as Thunder is running it on Baremetal, as he said in the beginning. 

Edited by meganoth
remove ad link (see edit history)

47 minutes ago, The_Great_Sephiroth said:

Yeah you want the IOMMU exposed. I have always done that. I do not know if it is the issue though. Sylen seems to be leaning towards an issue saving chunks maxing out disk I/O.

I got 4 SSDs in Raid 10 now, so that shouldn't even be close to an issue now. 

1 hour ago, SylenThunder said:

Yeah, you want as close to direct I/O as you can get. This is why I haven't used VM's in like 10 years. Even with hardware virtualization, they do not get the same performance as bare metal.

That pretty much cements my theory that 7 Days server doesn't like VM/Esxi and WIndows.  People have been having good results with Proxmox and Linux. 

Sylen, check out XCP-ng. Barely any difference unless you get into a state where you had a single storage setup (say RAID10, 4 disks) and suddenly all VMs need to write to disk. However, professional setups use SANs and don't have that issue. I have ten Ark servers on two identical Xeon setups, and they never choke out.

2 hours ago, The_Great_Sephiroth said:

Sylen, check out XCP-ng. Barely any difference unless you get into a state where you had a single storage setup (say RAID10, 4 disks) and suddenly all VMs need to write to disk. However, professional setups use SANs and don't have that issue. I have ten Ark servers on two identical Xeon setups, and they never choke out.

I am wondering if the Data store from ESXI seven days doesn't handle well.  As HyperV is direct to storage.

3 hours ago, The_Great_Sephiroth said:

Also what is your setup for your 7 days server, if you don't mind me asking. 

7 hours ago, The_Great_Sephiroth said:

dude I t hink I know what it is. The default SCSI controller is LSI Logic SAS, paravirtual can handle a much high IO load.  I am going to swtich the controller and see what happens. 

The current setup is an i5-2400, 16GB DDR3, and a single 500GB SATA disk. Had four on just now. Two of us together, the other two on their own separately. I averaged 37fps server-side.

The two Ark servers are Dual Xeon 12-core/24-thread systems with 128GB ECC DDR4 each. They each have 4TB of RAID10 storage. I believe it is ZFS, but no hardware controller. Using PV mode should greatly increase your throughput.