Alpha 20

bobrpggamer

Its been a very long time since I have been here, so does anyone know a ballpark figure on release date so I can start a new game.

I played alpha 19 for about 70 to 100 hours and unfortunately the update destroyed my save file, so I am waiting for alpha 20.

58 minutes ago, ElCabong said:

Fall

7 hours ago, meganoth said:

late fall is more likely

“more likely”, but nothing definite, from what I’ve been reading on the forums, based on people theorizing that TFP wouldn’t let a year go by without an update, etc. but there’s also a lot of people constantly reminding everyone that no date has been set and it’s all unofficial as TFP now never sets a date (or officially publicizes it) as they don’t want backlash for skipping the date.

7 hours ago, meganoth said:

estimate that tunneled through a quantum gate

And this too. I think? Quantum anything  can be true, false, or any state in between, or even multiple states at once? Maybe it’s possible some time from Now and in the future they’ll release it, but also simultaneously and in all possible timelines, not release it ;). I would also guess it’s possible (through this quantum informational state) it has already been released, but no one is sure about it 100%. I guess you can know with certainty it’s position (when it is released) or it’s state (if it’s released or not) but never both at the same time?

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

35 minutes ago, doughphunghus said:

“more likely”, but nothing definite, from what I’ve been reading on the forums, based on people theorizing that TFP wouldn’t let a year go by without an update, etc. but there’s also a lot of people constantly reminding everyone that no date has been set and it’s all unofficial as TFP now never sets a date (or officially publicizes it) as they don’t want backlash for skipping the date.

And this too. I think? Quantum anything  can be true, false, or any state in between, or even multiple states at once? Maybe it’s possible some time from Now and in the future they’ll release it, but also simultaneously and in all possible timelines, not release it ;). I would also guess it’s possible (through this quantum informational state) it has already been released, but no one is sure about it 100%. I guess you can know with certainty it’s position (when it is released) or it’s state (if it’s released or not) but never both at the same time?

People here try to measure it all the time, so any quantum-superposition is long gone. We opened the box, Schrödingers cat is still alive and simply doesn*t tell us what we want to know. Except it is jawning cozily which indicates there is still a long time to wait.

1 hour ago, Aldranon said:

You don't know the POWER of 64 THOUSAND bytes unleashed on... well 32k of usable power... Wastefully bloated OS!

I had two of these computers, 1 floppy, 1 SFD1001  and 2 D9090 hard drives, ran a BBS for 5 years :)  Played games on the other.   The best IBM clone out there was a XT with no color and no sound.

errr, what was the topic again ?  😛

Edited by Ripflex (see edit history)

On 7/17/2021 at 2:33 AM, Aldranon said:

You don't know the POWER of 64 THOUSAND bytes unleashed on... well 32k of usable power... Wastefully bloated OS!

It was closer to 38k available to BASIC, at least.  Plus there was about 4k in upper memory you could use for something under many situations.  Been so long since I programmed on a C64.

2 hours ago, Boidster said:

People say you can't hear pictures.

image.jpeg.a22bd21884e15b3085bd672c8dc1a167.jpeg

My first "online" experience was with a C64 or VIC20 (can't remember which) using a 300 baud modem over a rotary dialed land line connecting to a BBS (also can't remember which one).  It was, however, a mostly failed experience.  We (my brothers and I) connected but did little else of note that I can remember.

10 hours ago, seagas said:

Pffft, you guys with your high powered computers, mine was a Time-Sinclair 1000 with cassette tape drive to store programs.

Had the CoCo. I remember using a cassette player to load programs. Always having to use that little screwdriver to adjust the head to get the best sound so it would load. I also remember typing programs in before I had a cassette hooked up and losing everything when I turned the computer off. Ahhh, the good ole days.

( I still have a CoCo around the house somewhere, most likely up in attack with a bunch of tapes)

14 hours ago, Maharin said:

My first "online" experience was with a C64 or VIC20 (can't remember which) using a 300 baud modem over a rotary dialed land line connecting to a BBS (also can't remember which one).  It was, however, a mostly failed experience.  We (my brothers and I) connected but did little else of note that I can remember.

Mine was the exquisite stereotype, "Dragon's Lair" BBS. It had a built-in RPG, real-time chat, forums, the usual. IIRC I had a 300/1200 switchable acoustic coupler like the one above and a paper copy of some sort of national BBS directory.

The first program I loaded into a computer looked like this (x200)1:

Spoiler

The Virtual Card Reader

1I was a kid maybe 8 or 9 and I helped my dad load a deck into the reader at his work. I have never actually punched a card deck myself.

I wrote my first programs on these (TRIGGER WARNING)2:

Spoiler

image.png.914408d69b1d8c1627c42673eba3c4c8.png

2After writing our programs on the sheets, we typed them into a 16-color terminal like normal prehistoric neanderthals. This was for academic purposes only.

My own first PC was a laptop:

Spoiler

image.jpeg.2b35f02c05db2283476801cf17138c80.jpeg

(Not HP or Compaq; this is the much-less-popular IBM version)

But my friends had a TRS-80 and Amiga (which, in hindsight, was the coolest of the three PCs) before I got that thing, and my first online multiplayer game was some type of aerial dogfight game on the TRS-80. Super simple graphics - like Asteroids quality - but man was that fun. Connecting to another computer! ACROSS TOWN!!!

On 7/20/2021 at 11:16 PM, Maharin said:

It was closer to 38k available to BASIC, at least.  Plus there was about 4k in upper memory you could use for something under many situations.  Been so long since I programmed on a C64.

Me too!  That was the space I had to write a program after the editor was loaded.

Not amazing programs, but it did get me on the road to where I actually made a small difference in the world writing code.

23 hours ago, Aldranon said:

Me too!  That was the space I had to write a program after the editor was loaded.

Not amazing programs, but it did get me on the road to where I actually made a small difference in the world writing code.

One of the oddest memories I have is that the CPU didn't have multiplication or division by default so many programmers (even assembly programmers) would use the BASIC routines for those things since they were well optimized.  A different world than now, for sure. :)