is there anyway to increase your success chance when looting a bookshelf?

I'm not sure putting a point in lucky looter has anything to do with this because I do that very early on and my results looting a bookstore is crummy. Armor and weapons and such tend to get better but I want to find some more books. I don't think it gets better as your gamestage improves either

19 hours ago, ElCabong said:

I'm not sure putting a point in lucky looter has anything to do with this because I do that very early on and my results looting a bookstore is crummy. Armor and weapons and such tend to get better but I want to find some more books. I don't think it gets better as your gamestage improves either

Kinda yes, kinda no. The odds of hitting the loot group "booksAllScaled" or "booksRareOnlyScaled" is a straight RNG check with probability set by the type of container. But once you hit those groups then your chance of getting a sub group like "perk books" or "schematics" is...still just a straight RNG check.

But once you hit those groups - such as "schematicsModsAndGeneralCommon" - then the results are tied to a gamestage scaling function.

<lootgroup name="schematicsModsAndGeneralCommon">
    <item group="schematicsModsAndGeneralT0"/>
    <item group="schematicsModsAndGeneralT1" loot_prob_template="ProbT1"/>
    <item group="schematicsModsAndGeneralT2" loot_prob_template="ProbT2"/>
</lootgroup>

As an example, the Tier-0 group there has First Aid Bandage schematic in it, the T1 group has Herbal Antibiotics, and the T2 group has regular Antibiotics. Or if you prefer mod schematics, T0=Trigger Group Semi, T1=Trigger Group Burst, T2=Trigger Group Auto.

TL,DR: gamestage/Lucky Looter won't help you get "a book", but it will help you get "better books".

Make sure you search desks, nightstands, coffins, purses, and mailboxes to maximize your chances.

• Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, Boidster said:

Kinda yes, kinda no. The odds of hitting the loot group "booksAllScaled" or "booksRareOnlyScaled" is a straight RNG check with probability set by the type of container. But once you hit those groups then your chance of getting a sub group like "perk books" or "schematics" is...still just a straight RNG check.

But once you hit those groups - such as "schematicsModsAndGeneralCommon" - then the results are tied to a gamestage scaling function.

<lootgroup name="schematicsModsAndGeneralCommon">
    <item group="schematicsModsAndGeneralT0"/>
    <item group="schematicsModsAndGeneralT1" loot_prob_template="ProbT1"/>
    <item group="schematicsModsAndGeneralT2" loot_prob_template="ProbT2"/>
</lootgroup>

As an example, the Tier-0 group there has First Aid Bandage schematic in it, the T1 group has Herbal Antibiotics, and the T2 group has regular Antibiotics. Or if you prefer mod schematics, T0=Trigger Group Semi, T1=Trigger Group Burst, T2=Trigger Group Auto.

TL,DR: gamestage/Lucky Looter won't help you get "a book", but it will help you get "better books".

Make sure you search desks, nightstands, coffins, purses, and mailboxes to maximize your chances.

I do that. Then there's the cathedrals with a lot of books.

• Like 1