is there anyway to increase your success chance when looting a bookshelf?

ElCabong

I'm not sure putting a point in lucky looter has anything to do with this because I do that very early on and my results looting a bookstore is crummy. Armor and weapons and such tend to get better but I want to find some more books. I don't think it gets better as your gamestage improves either

19 hours ago, ElCabong said:

I'm not sure putting a point in lucky looter has anything to do with this because I do that very early on and my results looting a bookstore is crummy. Armor and weapons and such tend to get better but I want to find some more books. I don't think it gets better as your gamestage improves either

Kinda yes, kinda no. The odds of hitting the loot group "booksAllScaled" or "booksRareOnlyScaled" is a straight RNG check with probability set by the type of container. But once you hit those groups then your chance of getting a sub group like "perk books" or "schematics" is...still just a straight RNG check.

But once you hit those groups - such as "schematicsModsAndGeneralCommon" - then the results are tied to a gamestage scaling function.

<lootgroup name="schematicsModsAndGeneralCommon">
    <item group="schematicsModsAndGeneralT0"/>
    <item group="schematicsModsAndGeneralT1" loot_prob_template="ProbT1"/>
    <item group="schematicsModsAndGeneralT2" loot_prob_template="ProbT2"/>
</lootgroup>

As an example, the Tier-0 group there has First Aid Bandage schematic in it, the T1 group has Herbal Antibiotics, and the T2 group has regular Antibiotics. Or if you prefer mod schematics, T0=Trigger Group Semi, T1=Trigger Group Burst, T2=Trigger Group Auto.

TL,DR: gamestage/Lucky Looter won't help you get "a book", but it will help you get "better books".

Make sure you search desks, nightstands, coffins, purses, and mailboxes to maximize your chances.

48 minutes ago, Boidster said:

Kinda yes, kinda no. The odds of hitting the loot group "booksAllScaled" or "booksRareOnlyScaled" is a straight RNG check with probability set by the type of container. But once you hit those groups then your chance of getting a sub group like "perk books" or "schematics" is...still just a straight RNG check.

But once you hit those groups - such as "schematicsModsAndGeneralCommon" - then the results are tied to a gamestage scaling function.

<lootgroup name="schematicsModsAndGeneralCommon">
    <item group="schematicsModsAndGeneralT0"/>
    <item group="schematicsModsAndGeneralT1" loot_prob_template="ProbT1"/>
    <item group="schematicsModsAndGeneralT2" loot_prob_template="ProbT2"/>
</lootgroup>

As an example, the Tier-0 group there has First Aid Bandage schematic in it, the T1 group has Herbal Antibiotics, and the T2 group has regular Antibiotics. Or if you prefer mod schematics, T0=Trigger Group Semi, T1=Trigger Group Burst, T2=Trigger Group Auto.

TL,DR: gamestage/Lucky Looter won't help you get "a book", but it will help you get "better books".

Make sure you search desks, nightstands, coffins, purses, and mailboxes to maximize your chances.

I do that. Then there's the cathedrals with a lot of books.