System forced restart every 5-20 minutes of gameplay

zodiac678

18 minutes ago, zodiac678 said:

Okay.  So I had flashed my bios I thought but I saw my bios were pretty old date so I checked to see if anything was new and they were still pretty old bios.  I flashed new latest bios and so far no problems!  Can't believe I didn't have the latest ones after all this checking everything.  So far the longest I've gone without crashing.  Thank you everyone for the help I really appreciate all of it.

Yeah since Gen 3 Ryzen the BIOS updates have been pretty regular. Almost as often as software patches. Lots of fixes and optimization comes with though.

3 hours ago, The_Great_Sephiroth said:

I would not have suspected a BIOS update (microcode) would fix it. I have been let down each time I tried AMD so I buy almost exclusively Intel X series now and have never had an issue that was BIOS/microcode related. I'll remember this.

To be honest, that surprised me too. The best I could figure is that it's because of the 5950x CPU being power hungry / not set up correctly power wise by default. I've built and used over a dozen Ryzen based computers so far from every single generation, not once have I seen a bios related issue other than the latest gen CPU not being compatible with motherboards out of the box, requiring that flashback feature to get it initiated.

Besides, I'd much rather deal with minor issues like that than to support lazy companies that refuse to evolve simply due to lack of competition and forcing the world to pay a premium for ancient tech. I'm happy they're getting their butts kicked hard right now, hopefully that will be enough motivation to start evolving in tech again.

Edited by Fox (see edit history)

Still working.  I went from crashes every 5-20 minutes or so, sometimes more frequently, to being able to play all day.  Not a single crash since flashing bios to latest version.  I tried MANY things but had crashes until that and changed nothing else recently in that last attempt.  Frequent play of a couple hours a day since and 0 problems.  Thank you all for the suggestions again.

11 hours ago, zodiac678 said:

Still working.  I went from crashes every 5-20 minutes or so, sometimes more frequently, to being able to play all day.  Not a single crash since flashing bios to latest version.  I tried MANY things but had crashes until that and changed nothing else recently in that last attempt.  Frequent play of a couple hours a day since and 0 problems.  Thank you all for the suggestions again.

Enjoy the game!