What weapons do you think need adjustment?

ShellHead

I’m curious what everyone’s thoughts are on how the weapons (including their associated perks and perk books) are balanced.

my personal thoughts are that the club, knuckles, and AR all could use nerfing and the spear and knife could use a buff, but i’m really interested in hearing which you all think need tweaking and in which direction.

thanks in advance!

11 hours ago, ShellHead said:

I’m curious what everyone’s thoughts are on how the weapons (including their associated perks and perk books) are balanced.

my personal thoughts are that the club, knuckles, and AR all could use nerfing and the spear and knife could use a buff, but i’m really interested in hearing which you all think need tweaking and in which direction.

thanks in advance!

The spear is great thrown, or if you have a good defensive position between you and the Z, otherwise the clubs and upgraded clubs, baseball bats, etc are better for the Z is in your face nomming on you.  I've been growing to like the fist weapons, not so much the knuckle dusters, but the brass knuckles and steel knuckles, but I still don't like getting that close to the Z's as my twitch gaming is not the best.

The primitive bow is just that, I wish we could make a tracking arrow to follow the path better, I do fairly well with it, but sometimes the distance arcs give me trouble, unlike the crossbow, but it just doesn't load quite as fast as I like, especially since I use stone arrows because I don't like losing the other arrows.

My issue with weapons right now is, the tierd system. i realy dislike the idea. for melee weapons it makes sense, working up to steel it being the best type of weapon/tool. but for guns? man does it suck. 

the way it used to work is like this: you have a hunting rifle, and a marksmans rifle. the hunting rifle is pure power. one shot, long reload, but it had BEASTLY damage. the marksman did less, but the advantage to useing it was its versatility. more ammo, faster fire rate. less damage, but that was a good trade off. both fit a roll in the game, useing the hunting rifle to pick off big, tanky foes, and the marksmans to pick off faster moveing, swarming zeds. 

likewise, 9mm pistol or the smg. 9mm is a all rounder. a decent side arm with pleantifull ammo. the smg is more suited to horde situations, letting you clear through them with a high ammo count, slightly lower damage however. 

tradeoffs, and uses for situations help make ranged weapons at the least, feel more... usefull, and have more character. encorageing the use of multiple weapons from your class. 

but now, its, oh, heres a pipe rifle. ok heres a hunting, last weapons totaly useless. (despite the fact it could have easy to produce ammo, similar to the "intention" behind the blunderbuss.) ok heres a marksman, hunting is now useless. oh, heres a sniper, marksman is now useless. why use the other weapons when they: do less damage, have less ammo, and have no destint trait that makes them... uniqe! 

i realy hope they step back this tier system. it annoys me to no end. keep it for melee weapons and things that are less characterized. but ranged weapons? come on now. 

On 6/21/2021 at 2:49 PM, Junuxx said:

I think the robotic turret could use some adjustment, so that you don't need to pick it up and put it in your tool belt just to reload.

the nthey'd have to give it a large adjustment because picking it up to refill it is the downside to using it, it does its thing automatically.

11 hours ago, myrkana said:

they'd have to give it a large adjustment

Not really, as long as they keep it just a quality of life change.. just give the turrets a radial menu - works as it does now, but you can hold 'use' to choose reload. Standing there holding 'use' is in itself a risk; but if that's a little too easy, give it a short timer.

Starting bow is useless in current form. Too frustrating to bother with.

I would like to see the crossbow make a comeback too, they were fun. Problem is by the time you find the parts and can make even a low level crossbow you have moved on to pistols. 
shotguns do too much block damage when perked up, funny to clear a home with a shotgun and leave with multiple walls & floors destroyed or only a wood frame left.

1 hour ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

I would like to see the crossbow make a comeback too, they were fun. Problem is by the time you find the parts and can make even a low level crossbow you have moved on to pistols. 
shotguns do too much block damage when perked up, funny to clear a home with a shotgun and leave with multiple walls & floors destroyed or only a wood frame left.

Bow is fine at the start, it´s literally just a wooden stick and some plant fibers, works excatly like it should tbh. And a crosbow is still usefull later in game. With the right skills you can oneshot basically everything when sneaking using steel arrows and using explosive bolts with the precision of a crossbow just rocks.

3 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

I always use the primitive bow until I find a better one or can craft it (which can take awhile either way).

I find the struggle to using the bow a great part of the game.  It means that every animal I take out with it (or for the larger ones, that initial sneak attack) is well earned rather than simply pointing and clicking.

Plus, hitting a rabbit running parallel to you while using the primitive bow when you say heck with it I am going for it, just pure joy  😁

Exactly. I prefer the bow to the crossbow because I the adjusting to distance is a fun challenge. And when I hit something 50 blocks away that is actually an accomplishment.

The crossbow is a very good choice for agility players who try to stealth through buildings in end game. Glowies wake up much more often when you use a silenced pistol.

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

I always use the primitive bow until I find a better one or can craft it (which can take awhile either way).

I find the struggle to using the bow a great part of the game.  It means that every animal I take out with it (or for the larger ones, that initial sneak attack) is well earned rather than simply pointing and clicking.

Plus, hitting a rabbit running parallel to you while using the primitive bow when you say heck with it I am going for it, just pure joy  😁

I get it, I am just saying the combination of frequently misses due to the unpredictable path and not doing much damage makes it a very unsatisfying weapon to use imo.

I make a primitive bow and a few arrows but I barely use it, I stab with the spear 10x more.  

Edited by Fanatical_Meat (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

What kind of changes do you think would make it more fun to use for you to use

Xbows do have unique ammo types and the T3 Xbow has good stats especially when perked out, but the T1 probably could use a bit of a range/velocity kick to make it a more compelling alternative to the pistol. I have the sneaking suspicion that a larger issue is that the bow/Xbow line lacks a T2 option at the moment which creates a major deadzone in the progression. Thankfully that should be fixed in A20.

Yeah, that likely should be turned down so you only bust through blocks that you’re trying to destroy, probably should require at least 4 pellets to land for a block to be destroyed since you’re likely not going to do that accidentally.

Edited by ShellHead (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Griefers are going to love it when the new block system gets integrated if TFP doesn't adjust the magazine bonus. Someone in a wood POI and you want to give them hell? Just dump a mag or two from an Auto-shotgun though the walls to drop the building on their head...

Edited by hiemfire (see edit history)

13 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Reminds me of the three little pigs and a griefer called Big Bad Wolf. 😁

Difference being that the wolf was killed after it tried to take down the brick house and the first 2 pigs were eaten after it dropped their roofs on their heads. What can't happen on a PVE server?

It'll also make shotguns a danger to the player using them in wood POIs. Here's to hoping TFP is taking that into account with their removal of downgrading blocks.

Edited by hiemfire (see edit history)

I think that Archery could use some love.  I also think that while Shotguns should be able to blast through doors, I don't like the idea of shotguns completely destroying wooden POI's.

I also dont particularly care for the concept of bone shivs.  I realize they are a staple, but Scrap Shivs are a bit more logical to me.   They could be just as easy to throw together with a little bit of basic iron scrap + cloth.

On 6/21/2021 at 6:33 PM, Colin248 said:

My issue with weapons right now is, the tierd system. i realy dislike the idea. for melee weapons it makes sense, working up to steel it being the best type of weapon/tool. but for guns? man does it suck. 

the way it used to work is like this: you have a hunting rifle, and a marksmans rifle. the hunting rifle is pure power. one shot, long reload, but it had BEASTLY damage. the marksman did less, but the advantage to useing it was its versatility. more ammo, faster fire rate. less damage, but that was a good trade off. both fit a roll in the game, useing the hunting rifle to pick off big, tanky foes, and the marksmans to pick off faster moveing, swarming zeds. 

likewise, 9mm pistol or the smg. 9mm is a all rounder. a decent side arm with pleantifull ammo. the smg is more suited to horde situations, letting you clear through them with a high ammo count, slightly lower damage however. 

tradeoffs, and uses for situations help make ranged weapons at the least, feel more... usefull, and have more character. encorageing the use of multiple weapons from your class. 

but now, its, oh, heres a pipe rifle. ok heres a hunting, last weapons totaly useless. (despite the fact it could have easy to produce ammo, similar to the "intention" behind the blunderbuss.) ok heres a marksman, hunting is now useless. oh, heres a sniper, marksman is now useless. why use the other weapons when they: do less damage, have less ammo, and have no destint trait that makes them... uniqe! 

i realy hope they step back this tier system. it annoys me to no end. keep it for melee weapons and things that are less characterized. but ranged weapons? come on now. 

Well. At least melee weapons make sense... *uff sound*

Basic sidearm 9mm should never compete with even a shorty at close range or any other type of weapons anyway. Sidearms should be a completely separate entity available for every class to be perfectly honest. Having the option to find different weapons with their variety of properties is what I had in mind to give a sense of progression - by tiering in some sort of gating a long time ago. In this manner players would have the opportunity to look for more equipment, including mods - keep`em busy boys progression model. Bows and crossbows again probably should be treated differently, separately from other types of armaments. 

I don't understand why do we have to have 5 classes with specific weapons and abilities, only 2 classes have access to the armor.

Right now everything feels completely flattened and seemingly similar in some manner if we are on the same page.

4 hours ago, TWORDY said:

Well. At least melee weapons make sense... *uff sound*

Basic sidearm 9mm should never compete with even a shorty at close range or any other type of weapons anyway. Sidearms should be a completely separate entity available for every class to be perfectly honest. Having the option to find different weapons with their variety of properties is what I had in mind to give a sense of progression - by tiering in some sort of gating a long time ago. In this manner players would have the opportunity to look for more equipment, including mods - keep`em busy boys progression model. Bows and crossbows again probably should be treated differently, separately from other types of armaments. 

I don't understand why do we have to have 5 classes with specific weapons and abilities, only 2 classes have access to the armor.

Right now everything feels completely flattened and seemingly similar in some manner if we are on the same page.

with the weapons as they stand, it feels like none are quite... outshining the others. a person with shotguns does just as well as a guy skilled into pistols or rifles. (what with the ability to use slugs and stuff) my horde night possy consists of a good mix of classes and skill choices. a sniper for picking of tougher foes like cops and demolishers before they get to the walls. shotguns covering our entryway. our stealth expert with a pistol plasting the hell out of any enemy that gets past the sniper. assault rifles doing a good mix of everything. and explosives? man the bodies fly when they get together in a clump against the walls. 

hell the only issue with horde nights is melee, but im thinking thats because i haven't made a base that specializes in beating the crap out of the enemy that are close to the base. need to try that at some point. 

5 minutes ago, Colin248 said:

with the weapons as they stand, it feels like none are quite... outshining the others. a person with shotguns does just as well as a guy skilled into pistols or rifles. (what with the ability to use slugs and stuff) my horde night possy consists of a good mix of classes and skill choices. a sniper for picking of tougher foes like cops and demolishers before they get to the walls. shotguns covering our entryway. our stealth expert with a pistol plasting the hell out of any enemy that gets past the sniper. assault rifles doing a good mix of everything. and explosives? man the bodies fly when they get together in a clump against the walls. 

hell the only issue with horde nights is melee, but im thinking thats because i haven't made a base that specializes in beating the crap out of the enemy that are close to the base. need to try that at some point. 

Everything seems blunt... I would have swallowed the current classes system only if at least all weapons and armor types were available in every class. That would solve the major problem at least for me. Weapons might be unique just by having different times to reload, bigger mags, slower or faster rpm, higher weapon kick, lower/better stability, less/more accurate, not every scope attachable/available, differ in damage dealt, effective range and the list goes on. Just that would make the game fun on its own. Right now 9mm pistol seems on par with any low-tier weapon... just nerfing a pistol would not solve everything. I`m not trying to bash the current balance for the sake of bashing... in my eyes, the weapons seem overly too balanced 😅. In some way, it is a good thing but more can be done in this matter.

5 hours ago, TWORDY said:

Basic sidearm 9mm should never compete with even a shorty at close range or any other type of weapons anyway.

🤣 Bolded and underlined the part I'm laughing at.

Seriously it depends on where you shot them and the round used.

28 minutes ago, TWORDY said:

Everything seems blunt... I would have swallowed the current classes system only if at least all weapons and armor types were available in every class. 

Wait, Int builds can’t use shotguns or AKs or pistols?  Looks at weapons used during my last horde night……I must be a hacker then. 🤔

1 minute ago, BFT2020 said:

Wait, Int builds can’t use shotguns or AKs or pistols?  Looks at weapons used during my last horde night……I must be a hacker then. 🤔

God damn I meant progressed in day one to your likings in similar manner... 😅

On 6/29/2021 at 1:35 PM, hiemfire said:

Griefers are going to love it when the new block system gets integrated if TFP doesn't adjust the magazine bonus. Someone in a wood POI and you want to give them hell? Just dump a mag or two from an Auto-shotgun though the walls to drop the building on their head...

doesnt the landclaim block make blocks harder to destroy by enemy players?  I thought it did anyway... but either way griefers are not really an issue. This is a 1-8 player game for a few friends, not a large server like people keep trying to do.

25 minutes ago, myrkana said:

doesnt the landclaim block make blocks harder to destroy by enemy players?  I thought it did anyway... but either way griefers are not really an issue. This is a 1-8 player game for a few friends, not a large server like people keep trying to do.

You landclaim POIs you're questing in?