Jump to content

enZombies - More Zombie Variations


ErrorNull

Recommended Posts

After we added this mod to our server (and the harvest plus snufkin addon) we have been getting micro freezes when exploring. the freezes seem to be client side (one player can get them and all else are fine)
Love the variety this mod adds but is there a way to stop the micro freezes?

Edited by mrgreaper (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mrgreaper said:

After we added this mod to our server (and the harvest plus snufkin addon) we have been getting micro freezes when exploring. the freezes seem to be client side (one player can get them and all else are fine)
Love the variety this mod adds but is there a way to stop the micro freezes?

glad to hear you like the zombies. this micro freezing is new. a few questions:

 

do the server logs show any warnings or errors during the micro freezes?

or does the client side show any errors for the player?

are there any players that do not get the freeze ups?

what all mods are installed on your server? it's possible there could be a conflict with another mod... though a bit odd if it's only impacting certain players and not all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mrgreaper said:

Love the variety this mod adds but is there a way to stop the micro freezes?

Feel free to share your server i.p. address and I am good to pop in and take a look at the setup. It's in everyone's interests that such mods are working smoothly and optimised for a live server where netcoding and client side connections come into play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I may find something ....they are across my wall  and attack me!That‘s my room!MY!room~!they just destroy everything i like...my bed..my desk...even that plant ...How did this happen..? Why they can across the wall.Not the wall ...i see they are inside the floor ...so they across the floor? Is that bug or not? I'm not sure....The only thing is i'm dead..they eat me...EAT ...me

Edited by dujinyuan (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ErrorNull said:

glad to hear you like the zombies. this micro freezing is new. a few questions:

 

do the server logs show any warnings or errors during the micro freezes?

or does the client side show any errors for the player?

are there any players that do not get the freeze ups?

what all mods are installed on your server? it's possible there could be a conflict with another mod... though a bit odd if it's only impacting certain players and not all.

This is our current mod folder (ignore the .6 we have been slowly incrementing that number as new mods are released)
Mods 20.6.zip - Google Drive This is on our server and client, the micro pauses happen at random as you explore. we are thinking it is as it populates POI's but no idea, we didnt have it before we added the zombies (that doesnt mean the zombies are to blame just the timing makes us wonder) 

Couldnt see any issues in the log, and couldnt find client side log...I am convinced its client side as i can have a micro pause and my mate is fine...and vice a versa when he is wondering about

 

6 hours ago, arramus said:

Feel free to share your server i.p. address and I am good to pop in and take a look at the setup. It's in everyone's interests that such mods are working smoothly and optimised for a live server where netcoding and client side connections come into play.

The mod pack is further up, it is a private mates only server but will dm you the details I see you are mentioned in the first post. Taking the time to take a look at the issue is appreciated

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Managed to use the Nvidia shadow play to record the micro freezes:

 



Above are two freezes, these are happen at random, could be 5 or 6 minutes apart...could be a minute... They only happen when explorering (and only since the zombie mod) We are living with it as the zombie variation is too good to want to get rid of the mod lol.

Also the physics are interesting, please dont fix the physics lol:

Singing: I believe they can fly, I believe they can touch the sky

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@mrgreaper from what you are describing and from the videos, it seems to me the small pauses happen when the POIs and zombie sleepers and loading into the world. maybe it's not happening with all POI's but only those that are farther distance where the sleepers have despawned.

 

there are over 200 zombies in my enZombies mod and maybe this high population, when combined with many other mods introduce some stutter when POIs must do the on-the-fly calculations when choosing which sleeper zombies from all possible zombies available.

 

i currently don't have any freezeup issue, but i also don't use any other mods (besides enZombies, enZombieHarvest, and enZombiesAddonSnufkin) on my private server that i play with my family. are you able to do a test on your server with a new map to see if anyone gets freezeups with only those three mods?

 

when i have some time, i can install your mods on my test server to see if i get the same issue and help determine what could be introducing the freezeups. it's certainly possible the enZombies mod is playing a role in it.

 

39 minutes ago, AndrewT said:

hopefully robelto's custom zombies mod wont interfere with this one.

do you have a link to that mod? i'd like to check it out and maybe do an add-on so it's compatible for enZombies

Edited by ErrorNull (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ErrorNull said:

@mrgreaper from what you are describing and from the videos, it seems to me the small pauses happen when the POIs and zombie sleepers and loading into the world. maybe it's not happening with all POI's but only those that are farther distance where the sleepers have despawned.

 

there are over 200 zombies in my enZombies mod and maybe this high population, when combined with many other mods introduce some stutter when POIs must do the on-the-fly calculations when choosing which sleeper zombies from all possible zombies available.

 

i currently don't have any freezeup issue, but i also don't use any other mods (besides enZombies, enZombieHarvest, and enZombiesAddonSnufkin) on my private server that i play with my family. are you able to do a test on your server with a new map to see if anyone gets freezeups with only those three mods?

 

when i have some time, i can install your mods on my test server to see if i get the same issue and help determine what could be introducing the freezeups. it's certainly possible the enZombies mod is playing a role in it.

 

do you have a link to that mod? i'd like to check it out and maybe do an add-on so it's compatible for enZombies

 got it right here

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi this mod has been very fun to use so far! We were constantly refreshing the page over the past week waiting for the update and I'm thankful that you have it out before Christmas, I understand how much work goes into these sorts of things as both a fellow modder and programmer. I made this account to submit a bug that happens when I start my dedicated multiplayer server, which you can see in the screenshot below. Also, for some reason, this mod has made the nights incredibly dark as though every single night was an eclipse. We have the base mod and the snufkins addon.
unknown.png


Despite the darkness and all, we will continue using this mod. Thank you so much for the work you've put into it, and Merry Christmas!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jman116 said:

Hi this mod has been very fun to use so far! We were constantly refreshing the page over the past week waiting for the update and I'm thankful that you have it out before Christmas, I understand how much work goes into these sorts of things as both a fellow modder and programmer. I made this account to submit a bug that happens when I start my dedicated multiplayer server, which you can see in the screenshot below. Also, for some reason, this mod has made the nights incredibly dark as though every single night was an eclipse. We have the base mod and the snufkins addon.
unknown.png


Despite the darkness and all, we will continue using this mod. Thank you so much for the work you've put into it, and Merry Christmas!

Please update to the newest version in the download link, and these non critical warnings should disappear. They were just a few small things from A19 that needed removing or updating.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@jman116 thanks for sharing the bugs, much appreciated. shortly after releasing the mod update, i did notice those warning message and quietly snuck in an updated version of the enZombieHarvest and Snufkin Zombies add-on. looks like a few of you eager folks were so fast on the draw. 😁

 

so as @arramus mentioned, be sure to dload the latest versions. I linked them below for convenience, but they are also on the main page:

 

enZombie Harvest Add-on v1.31 (google drive zip file)
Snufkin Zombies Add-on v1.41 (google drive zip file)

 

 

2 hours ago, AndrewT said:

i forgot to mention the mod has the geist archon and scarecrow in it so it might interfere with your mod if i had your snufkin zombies addon as well.

@AndrewT those zombies by @Robeloto are really cool. these appear to all be vanilla zombies with some clever texture/material swaps. i'll reach out to see if it'd be okay if i added these zombies to my collection as an add-on, much like the snufkin zombie add-on...........

Edited by ErrorNull (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ErrorNull said:

@mrgreaper from what you are describing and from the videos, it seems to me the small pauses happen when the POIs and zombie sleepers and loading into the world. maybe it's not happening with all POI's but only those that are farther distance where the sleepers have despawned.

 

there are over 200 zombies in my enZombies mod and maybe this high population, when combined with many other mods introduce some stutter when POIs must do the on-the-fly calculations when choosing which sleeper zombies from all possible zombies available.

 

i currently don't have any freezeup issue, but i also don't use any other mods (besides enZombies, enZombieHarvest, and enZombiesAddonSnufkin) on my private server that i play with my family. are you able to do a test on your server with a new map to see if anyone gets freezeups with only those three mods?

 

when i have some time, i can install your mods on my test server to see if i get the same issue and help determine what could be introducing the freezeups. it's certainly possible the enZombies mod is playing a role in it.

 

do you have a link to that mod? i'd like to check it out and maybe do an add-on so it's compatible for enZombies

 

Hi ErrorNull,

 

My players on the server I run love your mod. The amount of variations that comes with the 'new' zombies are great.
Also, the names are hilarious.

 

Of course, we want to bring your zombies back for A20 as well, but I have the same problem with the short breaks as described above.

I have this issue both locally and on my test server, but can't narrow it down because I don't get an error message or anything.

If I take the enZombies out, everything runs as usual again.

 

Maybe you have some great advice on where I need to look to discover the issue.

 

The server itself has a lot of mods, where a large part is self-written (only server-side (XML) so no one has to install anything).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After some testing, I have been able to replicate this stutter issue in SP pretty much at will.

 

I was flying around in God Mode in the desert with F3 active to show what zombies were spawning. There were periodic stutters and Desert Male 3 was a common, but certainly not the only, connection.

 

After mixing up the mods and testing out a variety of scenarios, here is what appears to be the issue.

 

1. All zombies built with the Archetype system are potentially causing periodic stutters when they are spawned. I could test this using F6 to spam spawn. It was common that the 5th to 7th spawn of the same zombie with an Archetype caused a stutter. This calmed down thereafter but was repeatable and occurred again as spawns went into double figures, but always on the 5th to 7th spawn in sequence.

 

2. This was also true for Snufkin Zombies Mod built with Archetypes but to a slightly lesser degree. This was replicated in both the enZombies Add On and Snufkin Zombies stand alone Mod.

 

3. Vanilla default Zombies were not causing this stutter and smoothly spawned way past 20.

 

4. Snufkin Zombies built around a default Zombie model were also not causing this stutter way past 20.

 

If the above holds true, there is possibly an individual issue in the Archetype system causing this, as with what appeared to be more of a pattern with Desert Male 3, or it has become a general issue.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

hi @dwarfmaster1974 i'm glad to hear you and your players are enjoying all the zombies. 😎   and thanks for reporting that you're having the same slight pausing issues too. this lets me know it's a more widespread issue.

 

hey thanks @arramus much for your detailed troubleshooting! i was able to replicate your steps and got similar results:

 

i went into DM mode and using the F6 spawn page, i could consistently experience the split-second pause while spawning zombies. for me, that happens on spawning around the 8th zombie. and happens in a loop. if i spawn in a total of like 30 zombies one right after the other... i see the stutter at zombie #8, then again around #16, then on zombie #24, etc. it happens on any of my UMA zombies like DesertMale3 "Hobo Henry", a KHz UMA zombie like khzHank, or a Snufkin UMA zombie like Bomber. as you mentioned, this does not happen with any vanilla zombie or any custom zombie that uses the vanilla zombie as a base (like Snufkin "scorcher", "motorhead", etc).

 

what's interesting is that it doesn't matter how quickly or slowly i spawn in the zombie. even if i spawn in only 4 zombies, then kill them all with /killall command, then slowly one by one spawn in another set of zombies.... the 4th one (8th one in total) will come in with a slight pause. i also put my graphical settings on the lowest possible level, and also tried spawning test UMA zombies with no added textures or physical dimension changes (more or less a 'blank' UMA zombie) ... and still get the short pauses.

 

this issue does not seem like the video memory or hardware of the client or server is being over-taxed. it appears more like a quirk of the UMA archetype system itself. this could also explain the pauses occurring whenever new sleeper zombies are spawning when players are exploring new POIs. if the game needs to spawn in more than a certain 'magical' threshold of UMA zombies at once (in my case 8, in arramus' case around 5 - 7), there will be a quick pause. 🤔

 

very intriguing. for now i'll just file this away as another UMA bug, and continue on pumping out more zombies. those of you much smarter than me who come across any more ideas, please let me know! 

Edited by ErrorNull (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ErrorNull said:

Still doing a bit more playtesting, and found that the UMA type zombies can catch file from torch attacks and all other flaming attacks now! 😎 I went ahead and removed that 'bug' from my Known Issues section on the front page.

I could also see consistency with a 'magical' number and would spawn in 3 Vanilla zombies followed by 1 Archetypal zombie. Again the stutter would occur like clockwork regardless of how many Vanilla zombies split up the sequence.

 

I also tried whatever Avatar Controllers and UMA modeltypes/physics remained and while some would spawn, the stutter remained and in some cases all animation was lost.

 

I do not have access to A19 files any more, and will not download again to check, lol, but believe CrawlerSteve was the last remaining UMA type hybrid zombie which now has its own nice mesh covering.

 

More experimenting ahead, but it's good to hear that the flaming attacks are working now though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I could join mrgreaper's server for an hour, and even with an abundance of mods, it was an error free and fun run through. During all that time, I experienced 2 pause moments and they were barely noticable. They were rare enough that they can be seen as just background noise. I took on 3 quests in that time and certainly came across a very large amount of enZombies because the server was running a X2 spawn mod.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/25/2021 at 5:21 PM, arramus said:

I do not have access to A19 files any more, and will not download again to check, lol, but believe CrawlerSteve was the last remaining UMA type hybrid zombie which now has its own nice mesh covering.

i tested with 19.5 and there is practically no pauses on spawning any number of UMA zombies. there were a few times where maybe there was a very tiny pause (like a fraction of what we're seeing now on alpha 20), but it was either so negligible or it was just my mind trying to find a pause which wasn't really there.

 

it seems we may need to live with this pausing issue for alpha 20. who knows, maybe it will be ironed out at some point prior to the UMA system getting dumped for alpha 21 (?). for now, the worst case is we see some noticeable stuttering when larger UMA zombies spawn, and best case it's very slight and maybe not that noticeable to most players.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ErrorNull said:

i tested with 19.5 and there is practically no pauses on spawning any number of UMA zombies. there were a few times where maybe there was a very tiny pause (like a fraction of what we're seeing now on alpha 20), but it was either so negligible or it was just my mind trying to find a pause which wasn't really there.

 

it seems we may need to live with this pausing issue for alpha 20. who knows, maybe it will be ironed out at some point prior to the UMA system getting dumped for alpha 21 (?). for now, the worst case is we see some noticeable stuttering when larger UMA zombies spawn, and best case it's very slight and maybe not that noticeable to most players.

Yeah in normal play the micro freeze is ignorable, it does however become more annoying on a hoard night (blood moon) but we have managed it twice. I am hopeful that it can be solved before alpha 21 as it does get frustrating at times.

After a discussion our little group prefer to have the zombies and a little freeze now and again than go back to the default boring, repetitive, bland, zombies.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, mrgreaper said:

Yeah in normal play the micro freeze is ignorable, it does however become more annoying on a hoard night (blood moon) but we have managed it twice. I am hopeful that it can be solved before alpha 21 as it does get frustrating at times.

After a discussion our little group prefer to have the zombies and a little freeze now and again than go back to the default boring, repetitive, bland, zombies.

If it becomes too much of a problem for Horde Night, there's always the possibility to comment out / remove that part of the entitygroups.xml so the archetype 'UMA' zombies do not visit for Horde Night while all the rest still do. You'll still get a large variety of the 'boss' zombies as they use a regular zombie model. You'll be good with this based on the custom modding you've already added to your own server set up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, arramus said:

If it becomes too much of a problem for Horde Night, there's always the possibility to comment out / remove that part of the entitygroups.xml so the archetype 'UMA' zombies do not visit for Horde Night while all the rest still do. You'll still get a large variety of the 'boss' zombies as they use a regular zombie model. You'll be good with this based on the custom modding you've already added to your own server set up.

Yeah I am slowly learning how to mod the game lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...