enZombies - More Zombie Variations

ErrorNull

45 minutes ago, ErrorNull said:

very sorry about this Subquake. i'll dm you see what we can do...

@Subquake doesn't appear that you can take messages, here what i was going to send you:

hey very sorry once again about overlooking your rules. after re-reading your terms of service i can see how creating a patch to work with my mod counts as modifying your game and possibly as distribution. i think it didn't occur to me at first since i was thinking 'modification' was more like taking your UL mod, modifying that, then releasing it as a new variation. you're the boss. 😎  would it be okay for me to continue providing the UL patch for enZombies? i'll be sure to update my forum page and the readme files with more mentions and links of UL.

The issue is in how you approached the problem, you didn't create a modlet for Undead Legacy, you bluntly copied the contents of those XMLs and changed some values around - that's not original work, it even has my <Subquake> opening and closing tags, the formatting, everything.

Edited by Subquake (see edit history)

27 minutes ago, Subquake said:

The issue is in how you approached the problem, you didn't create a modlet for Undead Legacy, you bluntly copied the contents of those XMLs and changed some values around - that's not original work, it even has my <Subquake> opening and closing tags, the formatting, everything.

i see what you mean. it's actually how it do the patches, where the intention is to make the minimal amount of code changes to insert the enZombies to spawn. it's usually entitygroups.xml. i literally copy that from the source mod and edit out/in only what's necessary. i'm not looking to be original or change big mechanics. and yes you're right i don't even change the opening close tags. lol. even with skufkin and robeloto's patches i left it as <configs> ... meanwhile all my core mods always use <ErrornNull> tags, because i view them as my creation. but yes, these patches are a bit sloppy and i should better detail and credit them in the readme.. and more importantly turn the UL patch into a modlet like the others. not sure why i didn't make the UL patch a modlet like the other patches.. other than laziness. a modlet it shall be, no problem. for now, i went ahead and took down the UL patch from my github until you are completely satisfied with our way forward.

1 hour ago, MikeyUK said:

I get what you mean though, I have been gaming since I had my Commodore Vic 20 when I was 7 haha, Pitfall for the win!!  Still there are many games (and mods it seems from the above lol) that cater for that sort of thing.  For me 7 Days is survival yes but combined with building (I love) and looting (OMG I LOVE), I am wierd, even organising loot in this game I seriously enjoy haha.  I wish there was MORE MORE MORE loot and things to collect :D hehe.

i played pitfall, desert falcon, and defender on the atari 2600. we might be from the same era. 😎

Edited by ErrorNull (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, ErrorNull said:

i see what you mean. it's actually how it do the patches, where the intention is to make the minimal amount of code changes to insert the enZombies to spawn. it's usually entitygroups.xml. i literally copy that from the source mod and edit out/in only what's necessary. i'm not looking to be original or change big mechanics. and yes you're right i don't even change the opening close tags. lol. even with skufkin and robeloto's patches i left it as <configs> ... meanwhile all my core mods always use <ErrornNull> tags, because i view them as my creation. but yes, these patches are a bit sloppy and i should better detail and credit them in the readme.. and more importantly turn the UL patch into a modlet like the others. not sure why i didn't make the UL patch a modlet like the other patches.. other than laziness. a modlet it shall be, no problem. for now, i went ahead and took down the UL patch from my github until you are completely satisfied with our way forward.

i played pitfall, desert falcon, and defender on the atari 2600. we might be from the same era. 😎

Glad all of the above is getting sorted :)

Mid 70s baby I am lol.  I can only wish I had an Atari 2600 tho...  I had to make do with a Grandstand console haha (this one my really bad memory recalls but I did not have a lightgun).  Went through a Commodore phase with my Vic 20 and then 64... My first actual Atari was an Atari 520 STFM which I fecking loved! :D

Ive been at this gaming thing since Ultima 3 on my Commodore 64.  Our little group has folks ranging from 40 thru to almost 70.  And everyone likes something different.  Makes the dedicate server a little tricky sometimes.  We also keep our toolbelts on death.  :)

For your server config you will have already edited serverconfig.xml right with server name, password etc?  You just pop those extra lines into there, its explained on @Subquake's server config page: https://ul.subquake.com/dedicated-servers (click on "A20 Server Configuration").

<property name="RecipeFilter" value="0"/>
<property name="StarterQuestEnabled" value="true"/>
<property name="WanderingHordeFrequency" value="4"/>
<property name="WanderingHordeRange" value="8"/>
<property name="WanderingHordeEnemyCount" value="10"/>
<property name="WanderingHordeEnemyRange" value="10"/>

Thanks MikeyUK for pointing this out.  I will get it set up.

holy jeezus lol. a HORDE of demolishers? yea i certainly wouldn't want to play on a map where a team of them could spawn haha. my UL patch essentially strips out the UL wandering horde configuration for the enZombie wandering horde setup.... in which all harde groups have max 10 zombies spawn... and for demolitions only 1 is allowed to spawn. i wonder if subquake did some other coding magic that still influences wandering horde spawn numbers and essentially resulted in multiplying the enzombie hordes by a certain factor.

Yes....  i am expecting to get an earful from one of the guys when he gets on in a couple hours.  10 giants, then 15 demolishers (i killed these away from base), another mob of demolishers (the ones that hit the base), then 30 dogs and then 30 or more cops.... i gave up at that point... lol.  Good fun all round.

15 minutes ago, new7daylive said:

Ive been at this gaming thing since Ultima 3 on my Commodore 64.  Our little group has folks ranging from 40 thru to almost 70.  And everyone likes something different.  Makes the dedicate server a little tricky sometimes.  We also keep our toolbelts on death.  :)

Thanks MikeyUK for pointing this out.  I will get it set up.

Yes....  i am expecting to get an earful from one of the guys when he gets on in a couple hours.  10 giants, then 15 demolishers (i killed these away from base), another mob of demolishers (the ones that hit the base), then 30 dogs and then 30 or more cops.... i gave up at that point... lol.  Good fun all round.

Good luck with those UL settings, let me know if they calm things down, I was thinking of starting a playthrough soon possibly using enZombies.

Edited by MikeyUK (see edit history)

13 minutes ago, new7daylive said:

10 giants, then 15 demolishers (i killed these away from base), another mob of demolishers (the ones that hit the base), then 30 dogs and then 30 or more cops.... i gave up at that point... lol.  Good fun all round.

yea noo.. that's not fun at all. 😅 certainly look into dialing down that WanderingHordeEnemyCount setting in UL.

'What follows are the dreamy imaginings of a long, long time survivor....'

I've played with both yours and the NPC modlet. I've thoroughly enjoyed both, alternating playthroughs with each. It's a really great position to be in with such awesome modders doing what they do best but to have to choose between them is like asking who is my favourite child.

The NPC aim ( to my understanding ) is to provide a framework for people to pick up the ball and make the magic happen - you my friend with your work here are indeed a magician!

Each are continually making huge strides in growing what we as players can enjoy.

In a crazy alternative reality I can see your powers combine to produce the ultimate zombie modlet taking the game to new heights.

No prodding with pointy sticks was intended with this post - just a heartfelt expression of my thanks for all of the work done with the goal of making this game as thrilling as it can be.

Cheers

16 hours ago, Chunkimunki said:

'What follows are the dreamy imaginings of a long, long time survivor....'

I've played with both yours and the NPC modlet. I've thoroughly enjoyed both, alternating playthroughs with each. It's a really great position to be in with such awesome modders doing what they do best but to have to choose between them is like asking who is my favourite child.

The NPC aim ( to my understanding ) is to provide a framework for people to pick up the ball and make the magic happen - you my friend with your work here are indeed a magician!

Each are continually making huge strides in growing what we as players can enjoy.

In a crazy alternative reality I can see your powers combine to produce the ultimate zombie modlet taking the game to new heights.

No prodding with pointy sticks was intended with this post - just a heartfelt expression of my thanks for all of the work done with the goal of making this game as thrilling as it can be.

Cheers

Thanks for the positive vibes. 😎 with each new version update, i'm hoping to make my main enZombies code more compatible with other mods. some of the patches and add-ons i've made for other mods are more of a temporary solution, while i learn more ways to bend this XML stuff in a way to make it enjoyable for everyone. My goal is also to do this all server side, so players have zero friction to jump in, which is why i haven't jumped on NPCMod yet since it requires client side install and disabling EAC. but, i know at some point, i'll be migrating to that platform....

Hmmm,  I am very new to adding any MODS strictly on My own  ( without use of a Mod Manager)  but I love the look and idea behind this Mod;  but I am wondering,  if I wanted to start off 'light'  with My little group of survivors and add in just 6-8 new zombie types from this Mod,  would that be a do=able thing?   I think it might keep the A20 experience fresh,  to let the group realise there are some new faces around zombietown,  then after 3-4 weeks, add in another 10 or so?  

Tips and advice always very welcome.

Thank you sincerely for the effort that I can clearly see went into this MOD,  both in talent and time to look after the little details.

On 2/20/2022 at 11:14 PM, PoppaSmirk said:

Hmmm,  I am very new to adding any MODS strictly on My own  ( without use of a Mod Manager)  but I love the look and idea behind this Mod;  but I am wondering,  if I wanted to start off 'light'  with My little group of survivors and add in just 6-8 new zombie types from this Mod,  would that be a do=able thing?   I think it might keep the A20 experience fresh,  to let the group realise there are some new faces around zombietown,  then after 3-4 weeks, add in another 10 or so?  

Tips and advice always very welcome.

Thank you sincerely for the effort that I can clearly see went into this MOD,  both in talent and time to look after the little details.

hi @PoppaSmirk - how's it going? the quick and dirty way is by adding a line code at the very bottom of the entitygroups.xml file of the enZombies mod, but right above the </ErrorNull> tag.  for example if you wanted to remove the forest giant from spawning:

<remove xpath="/entitygroups/entitygroup/entity[contains(@name,'enForestGiant')]"/>

you then add another row like that but for each additional zombie you wish to disable. you'd want to refer to the file entityclasses.xml to find out the specific XML zombie name (eg. "enForestGiant") to use for that line of code.

i do have a small mod that already has all this code typed up and the player just needs to add in the zombie names. but, i had removed that mod from my GitHub page while i did my recent reorganizing of everything. i'll have it posted up soon.

one thing to consider is that the random wilderness spawning for each biome are specially tailored for the full range of enZombies of which there are 160+ not including the KHz zombies (thx again to @khzmusik) . in the unmodded vanilla game, there are a pool of only about 30 vanilla zombies that the devs more or less need to spawn anywhere and everywhere. the enZombies mod specifically selects only about 5-10 of the vanillas to spawn in certain biomes based on their looks.. and the remaining vanillas are specially selected for certain wandering hordes, and other zombie themed groups. when too many enZombies are removed, more repeat zombies will start appearing due to the reduction in variety in the customized spawn pools. this is even more so the case with the wandering hordes, which have been customized to spawn mostly enZombies, and very few vanilla ones. this was to showcase the many unique groups/themes that enZombies has made possible like hikers, miners, school athletic, strippers, punk gangsters, lab creatures, etc. which do not have vanilla zombie equivalents. the more enZombies are removed, the more repeating zombies will show... and potentially have no zombies spawning from certain enZombie groups where all their members were removed. 😓

another workable approach is to start from the base unmodded game, and go into the entitygroups.xml and insert each enZombie individually into all spawn groups.  this way you will avoid the issues above, and can add only a few enZombies at a time. you do lose the effect of biome themed zombies and themed groups of zombies within wandering hordes and other locations. but might be a good tradeoff for your group. then, once your party is ready to play with all the enZombies, you can do away with this workaround and just use the main enZombies mod. 👍

enZombies v2.7 Progress:

i've completed a good amount of code clean-up and improvements. now working on more zombies:  first up, the torso-only crawler zombie. this is a cool model which needs more variety, but it can't be mimicked well with the UMA archetype method. so i've been exploring the replaceMaterial technique that @Robeloto does very well in his custom zombie mod. here are some textures i've picked out that match crawler zombie.. and i like how it blends them into the grass for some nice sneak attack opportunities. thanks again robeloto for showing me what tools and files to work with in order to achieve this. 👍

A20-2-2022-02-24-07-40-19.jpg

1 hour ago, ErrorNull said:

enZombies v2.7 Progress:

i've completed a good amount of code clean-up and improvements. now working on more zombies:  first up, the torso-only crawler zombie. this is a cool model which needs more variety, but it can't be mimicked well with the UMA archetype method. so i've been exploring the replaceMaterial technique that @Robeloto does very well in his custom zombie mod. here are some textures i've picked out that match crawler zombie.. and i like how it blends them into the grass for some nice sneak attack opportunities. thanks again robeloto for showing me what tools and files to work with in order to achieve this. 👍

A20-2-2022-02-24-07-40-19.jpg

Nice job ^^

Absolutely LOVE this mod!!! Just got into the modding scene and this feels like a must.

Unfortunately…for whatever reason, when this mod is enabled, our nighttime’s turn to PITCH BLACK.

You can see the sky box just fine, but if you’re not within a light source, everything else on the screen turns black and you can’t see or traverse anything, let alone fight zombies. Any idea?

I only have s couple modlets to increase stack size and loot drop frequency. So I don’t think it’s conflicting with anything.

13 hours ago, Soulself said:

Absolutely LOVE this mod!!! Just got into the modding scene and this feels like a must.

Unfortunately…for whatever reason, when this mod is enabled, our nighttime’s turn to PITCH BLACK.

You can see the sky box just fine, but if you’re not within a light source, everything else on the screen turns black and you can’t see or traverse anything, let alone fight zombies. Any idea?

I only have s couple modlets to increase stack size and loot drop frequency. So I don’t think it’s conflicting with anything.

hi @Soulself glad you like the mod. 👍 what you can do is delete the file called worldglobal.xml. that file makes the night time darker. this behavior will be removed from my next update as well. it's just a personal preference of mine to have darker nights, but i'm slowly taking away those my personal tweaks and putting them into a separate future mod. i want to keep my enZombies mod as close to vanilla as possible.

11 hours ago, dujinyuan said:

That's it! That's what i'm talking about! More kind of zombies!They should hire you .Oh...Maybe they will...If they find your mods.Good job....

lol thanks. i'm more of a coder than a designer. the devs gonna shut down the uma system soon like by alpha21 which is how these zombies are coded. and when i do.. i might have to start using NPCMod to redo my creations.. but i'm bad at 3D modelling which is a skill more necessary creating new zombies with NPCMod. get ready for some noob ugly zombies when that happens!

On 3/2/2022 at 9:34 PM, ErrorNull said:

hi @Soulself glad you like the mod. 👍 what you can do is delete the file called worldglobal.xml. that file makes the night time darker. this behavior will be removed from my next update as well. it's just a personal preference of mine to have darker nights, but i'm slowly taking away those my personal tweaks and putting them into a separate future mod. i want to keep my enZombies mod as close to vanilla as possible.

lol thanks. i'm more of a coder than a designer. the devs gonna shut down the uma system soon like by alpha21 which is how these zombies are coded. and when i do.. i might have to start using NPCMod to redo my creations.. but i'm bad at 3D modelling which is a skill more necessary creating new zombies with NPCMod. get ready for some noob ugly zombies when that happens!

You are a gentleman and a scholar, thank you so much!

On 3/8/2022 at 5:04 AM, Ganeshakw said:

Bro, just wondering if we can use this awesome mod with Darkness Falls ?

Hi Ganeshakw - i haven't tested with Darkness Falls, but it will likely throw some errors. I'll look into making a mod so that enZombies can be compatible.

1 hour ago, Soulself said:

You are a gentleman and a scholar, thank you so much!

@Soulself 👍

On 3/9/2022 at 1:08 PM, ErrorNull said:

Hi Ganeshakw - i haven't tested with Darkness Falls, but it will likely throw some errors. I'll look into making a mod so that enZombies can be compatible.

I haven't tested either, but what I have been doing when I use this mod and I load a LOT of other mods, is rename the toplevel folder of it something so it always loads first, like "0-a-enZombies".  The reason is because it does some remove/re-add to entity groups (and other stuff) but its just enough to cause issues if it loads after other mode that use these same groups.  Its like a mini-overhaul mod (in the changes it makes).  With these, if you want to load a lot of mods (or more than 1 I guess), just try to make the "bigger" mods load earlier so their more extensive changes get put in first, and smaller mods (modlets) can then work around the initial changes.  Its never perfect in how it works (I sometimes have to manually  tweak mods when they collide with others), but its a way to try to start "with the least amount of errors/warnings/collisions" when making a new modded game.

Example:

mods_shot.png.a583d9582a069738b665ebb4113a12a6.png

Here's what I have in a single player game to get most of my zeds loaded, with NPC packs. I also have a (hand edited) Sorcery mod in there, and Iceburgs Animal mod, and Stalliondens pets.  There are a few oddities I haven't cleaned up, but its 120 mods in total.

Anyway, Darkness Falls is a massive overhaul, but if loaded after this mod (even though darkness falls is a larger mod) it might work 'well enough'? 

If this mod could work with DF (with or without special changes), it would be pretty awesome, but even a compatibility patch would be great, like Sorcery has/had?:).  Add Snufkins (which errNull has a compatibility with), Sorcery (with its DF compatibility tweaks) to it, and the NPC mods (which should work with DF?) and you basically have almost all the "custom modded' zeds besides Robeleto's, and a few others like The Wasteland which are basically mini overhauls too.

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

Thanks a lot for your response and guidance. Also I am very excited to see a few new (to me) mods in your list.

The thing is, once you include enzombies mod in your mod list, and get used to it,  it becomes really something with lesser fun if you can't include it in some other overhaul mod.

Thanks again.

On 3/11/2022 at 8:13 AM, doughphunghus said:

I have been doing when I use this mod and I load a LOT of other mods, is rename the toplevel folder of it something so it always loads first, like "0-a-enZombies".

great advice on that. thanks for sharing. my next update will have more code improvements so enZombies will be more compatible with other zombie mods. this way renaming folders will not be necessary. for now i do plan to have a small addon mod for DF to make it compatible.

also, the next update for enZombies will allow Undead Legacy to work without any addon mods or patches @MikeyUK. there may be some spawn scenarios where not all the enZombies will spawn in the correct biomes and not up to my personal standards, but it's a sacrifice i'm fine with. i'm not interested in spending any more of my time toward UL from here on out.

A few posts are coming over to the Snufkins related to the Robeloto Patch and this is for hosts/players to consider when using the enZombies patch.

For the patch, players will need to:

Change Radrobot1 from the entitygroups.xml to zombieRobot.

Change zombieFreezer from the entitygroups.xml to zombieCold

Remove zombieMPF from the entitygroups.xml. It may have changed names but there is no notification that stands out.
There may be more updates but this was the minimum to launch/join with no warnings.

Be aware that there are quite a lot of versions of this mod. The default one has custom assets for explosions and sounds.
There is also an xml server side only version. If your players are getting errors and are unable to join, ensure they also have the Robeloto Mod in their Mod folder depending on which version you have opted to use.

4 hours ago, arramus said:

A few posts are coming over to the Snufkins related to the Robeloto Patch and this is for hosts/players to consider when using the enZombies patch.

For the patch, players will need to:

Change Radrobot1 from the entitygroups.xml to zombieRobot.

Change zombieFreezer from the entitygroups.xml to zombieCold

Remove zombieMPF from the entitygroups.xml. It may have changed names but there is no notification that stands out.
There may be more updates but this was the minimum to launch/join with no warnings.

Be aware that there are quite a lot of versions of this mod. The default one has custom assets for explosions and sounds.
There is also an xml server side only version. If your players are getting errors and are unable to join, ensure they also have the Robeloto Mod in their Mod folder depending on which version you have opted to use.

thanks for the heads up. for the next update, i will be sure to have the robeloto patch mod updated to reflected those zombie name changes.

enZombies v2.7 Progress:

after creating the new crawler zombies, i decided to create a theme. so here's what i call the "petrified/elemental" zombies. all the nukes and fire during the final days fused earth and molten metal to their flesh. they're not very fast and cannot run, but due to their dense mass they're not that vulnerable to ranged attacks. so you gotta old-school smash them down with pickaxes and sledgehammers! bladed weapons won't work well either and they don't bleed. hiding behind the walls of your base during horde night won't cut it either and their dense fists does a good job at breaking down walls. all these characteristics should give some nice gameplay variety. if you have the body harvest mod installed, these zombies will provide a source of sand, stone and iron. that radiated one will also get you a nice amount of forged iron. you'll notice i'm using the Burnt zombie model for these walking zombies, which seems to work best since they don't wear clothes. it makes the material/texture replacements look more realistic.

moving on now to create more bikers zombies and more zombies to populate the hospitals, like half naked patients, and more lab workers and nurses. once they are complete, and after experimentation with Darkness Falls and NPCMod, then v2.7 release will be near. 😎

A20-2-2022-03-17-08-52-53.jpg