Jump to content

Your top priority for day 1, crowded server.


Recommended Posts

What is the first thing you would do on day 1 of a fresh server wipe. Server is quite crowded (Usually 40+ people). Besides the intro quest, would you:

  • concentrate on combat skills for questing or self sustainability such as living off the land/masterchef for food.
  • Focus on weapons crafting or tools crafting? 
  • Go mobile/baseless or set up base as close to a trader as server allows.
  • Put 1 point into Lucky Looter or not worth it at start

 

Thanking ahead for any useful input.

 

*edit* Forgot to add, server uses mods. One of them being Zombie boss's on day 1 roaming the land, so it can get quite hairy at times as a low level if that helps sway the combat vs crafting debate.

Edited by Lucy101
more info (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Murder the other players, steal their stuff. Win.

 

But srsly, is it a PvP server? If not, are the players cooperative or just mostly running around playing a single-player game with an audience? Do you party up with whomever is on and work quests together, share resources, and so on?

 

I personally would not put points into Lucky Looter until more basic survival perks have a point in them. For the loot tables which will be affected by LL, you're not really going to see enough improvement (lvl 4 stone axe instead of lvl 3, yay!) to lose whatever other perk you could have bought.

 

If the game is PvP (or perhaps due to the boss zombies) maybe I'd put a point into armor or a weapon skill before I usually would in PvE. I'm personally a big fan of ranged sneak attacks at all times except horde night, so maybe a point into Hidden Strike and Archery. Get a first shot into those bosses and then run-n-gun them.

 

My personal list of common starting skill point spends (for the first couple of levels) are:

  • Hidden Strike
  • Archery
  • Healing Factor (for bravely running away and recovering)
  • Animal Tracker
  • Master Chef (especially if co-op; I tend to be the cook)
  • Mother Lode
  • Miner 69er
  • Pummel Pete or Javelin Master
  • Light Armor
  • Daring Adventurer (if I plan on doing a lot of quests - the extra reward choice is nice)

I've done a couple of games now where I spread 1-point spends all over the place to gain a little skill in a lot of things, before specializing into a couple of attributes. It's worked out pretty well.

 

I'm always a base-builder (because it's one of my favorite parts of the game) so I can't really comment on a nomadic play style.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven’t played on a crowded server in a long time but I remember that it was always a race to find unexplored POI/Towns. Too slow and everything you search has already been looted. So I’d say getting a bike before the rest for faster mobility than those around you would be imperative. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There isn't an ultimate strategy.

It allways depend on

PvP or PvE heavy.

Play solo or with friends.

I wouldn't build my base near a trader on a PvP heavy server, except you want to have many visitors.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TY Boidster for the detailed tips, much appreciated. I should have added, it is a PvE server, lots of friendly people but at the same time very competitive. Some will group up straight away while others solo. I prefer to solo initially, meet up with someone along the way and if we hit it off, group up.  I forgot I only needed 1pt to make a bicycle so to beat the rush, Roland, ty, thats a great idea. 

Since its a PvE server, Im safe near a trader initially but eventually want a base that is scenic, as I love the building aspects too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dig a hole in the nearest mountain/hill to the first trader and then down and towards the city.

 

 

My goal on a MP server is to reveal myself/base If I choose.

 

Underground bases always ensure I have plenty to do at night without worry.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For PvE/coop, the first thing I’d always do is group up, by which I mean physically huff it over to wherever the other players are in addition to allying with them.  I’ve never played on a server that big, but I presume a main group would quickly emerge.  I don’t see much point in joining a PvE server just to fly solo.

 

Then you’re a member of the community, picking some specialities based on need and what others don’t have covered as well.  If others have been on the server already, they may already have some better tools, weapons, etc., and it’d help the group’s success to share that with you.  Once the group has a roof over their heads and knows where a trader is, it’s usually off to do shared quests and advance in my own specialties.  Frankly it’s like being a good roommate: keep the fridge stocked, try not to be a mooch, respect other’s private property, and ask before reorganizing or redecorating things.

Edited by Crater Creator
grammar (see edit history)
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always try and fend for myself and become self sufficient...

But after a couple of days, I regain my senses and remember why this game should never be played on a server.
The netcode is beyond horrible, warping and despawning vehicles, server crashed and lost progress, servers being rebooted every couple of hours because of atrocious garbage collection, horde nights in stop motion format and if the server doesn't have mods, it becomes close to impossible to find loot very very quickly etc etc.
It's a shame, because this game is best with company and the skills system has changed the game to multiplayer focus, but when they don't upgrade the backbone, you have to be a serious masochist to play it on a server.
I bought the game in 2013 and all my friends gave up on this game many many years ago...
I go in single player and do a test play every time a new alpha lands, but it gets boring fast alone, I have the most fun with cheats and just using the game as a giant box of legos and doing large elaborate build...

  • Like 1
  • Have a Cookie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Crater Creator said:

For PvE/coop, the first thing I’d always do is group up, by which I mean physically huff it over to wherever the other players are in addition to allying with them.  I’ve never played on a server that big, but I presume a main group would quickly emerge.  I don’t see much point in joining a PvE server just to fly solo.

 

Then you’re a member of the community, picking some specialities based on need and what others don’t have covered as well.  If others have been on the server already, they may already have some better tools, weapons, etc., and it’d help the group’s success to share that with you.  Once the group has a roof over their heads and knows where a trader is, it’s usually off to do shared quests and advance in my own specialties.  Frankly it’s like being a good roommate: keep the fridge stocked, try not to be a mooch, respect other’s private property, and ask before reorganizing or redecorating things.

 

7 Days to Die AKA College Apartment Simulator :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sadly on populated servers you have to go as far away as possible as soon as possible to evade any multiplayer contact. We play this game on own servers only meanwhile because in the end all multiplayerfeatures are looted and destroyed poi, less zombies, lags and from time to time some random meetings and allchat.

All in all playing on high populated publics causes more problems than benefits.

Thats why, go as far away as soon as possible or the final and worthy loot will be always gone.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, 7daystodierocks said:

what i wanna know is how big would the BMH be on a server of 40+ people al ltogether on horde night :)

 

At default settings, 64 zombies at a time, up to 1500 over the entire BMH (if you aren't running an endless BMH mod). But only 64 at once.

If you overrode the server default completely, then with per-player defaults you could get 320 zombies at once.

If you overrode server and player defaults, then you could get up to 500 zombies at once in the first wave, up to +500 in wave 2, and up to + 500 in wave 3. Wave sizes depend on gamestage. How many are alive at once depends on how quickly you kill the waves.

 

I'm keen to know the maximum reasonable server-wide zombie spawn max (the one which defaults to 64), for reasonably-good, but not monster-level, client PCs. Are people running 128 or 256 without trouble? It would be pretty awesome to participate in a 40-player, 500-zombies-at-once horde night in a mythical parallel universe where the game itself could handle that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Boidster said:

 

At default settings, 64 zombies at a time, up to 1500 over the entire BMH (if you aren't running an endless BMH mod). But only 64 at once.

If you overrode the server default completely, then with per-player defaults you could get 320 zombies at once.

If you overrode server and player defaults, then you could get up to 500 zombies at once in the first wave, up to +500 in wave 2, and up to + 500 in wave 3. Wave sizes depend on gamestage. How many are alive at once depends on how quickly you kill the waves.

 

I'm keen to know the maximum reasonable server-wide zombie spawn max (the one which defaults to 64), for reasonably-good, but not monster-level, client PCs. Are people running 128 or 256 without trouble? It would be pretty awesome to participate in a 40-player, 500-zombies-at-once horde night in a mythical parallel universe where the game itself could handle that.

early on i can imagine that may be easier to handle god forbid if you had demos and feral irradiateds and also RIP fps XD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Maharin said:

If 7DTD had as many zombies as Dying Light it would have screen refresh cycles like Adventure Construction Set on the Commodore 64.

Imagine if it had as many zombies as days gone.

 

I believe there is 90(?) Hordes that are groups of 400-1000 zombies. It's a fun time for sure!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 6/19/2021 at 12:38 PM, playlessNamer said:

Sadly on populated servers you have to go as far away as possible as soon as possible to evade any multiplayer contact. We play this game on own servers only meanwhile because in the end all multiplayerfeatures are looted and destroyed poi, less zombies, lags and from time to time some random meetings and allchat.

All in all playing on high populated publics causes more problems than benefits.

Thats why, go as far away as soon as possible or the final and worthy loot will be always gone.

Honest and importatnt opinion mate.

 

7DTD feels strong in coop mode with friends and single player, PVP is a bit lost cause at least for now. I would rather see more stuff available at trader in PVP mode, most of the neighbourhoods always seem to be looted... well if the map could be at 12k. I`m not saying it`s a downside but PVP completely brings new sensations.

Edited by TWORDY (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...