Jump to content

I cant play more than about 9 game days. . . .


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

So, this has happened so many times in a row now, at least 6 attempts at a play through.  Everything will be fine for about 9 game days, then I start having game breaking problems. 

 

1) First, I'll get the "Failed to read past the end of stream" error, and one of the chunks containing my base will be reset. 

 

2) Then, after I restore to my last backup save, the game will reset my character to level 1.  This character will usually have a mostly intact inventory, but with some items missing.  All dukes will be gone, and there will be some other empty inventory spaces that I know had items in them. 

 

3) Lastly, when I try to roll back to an even earlier save, the game resets me to level 1, and spawns me at a newb spawn point with starter items only.  In this case, part of the map will be open (fog of war gone) but all my marked waypoints will be gone. 

 

 

Here is the latest log from this morning  Log 6-4-21.

Here is the log from my last attempt 3 days ago Log 6-1-21

Edit:  I tried to roll back to an even earlier save and here is the log.  It is different still. 

 

The errors are different but the effect on my game is the same. 

 

This morning's log has 2 different entries for blood moon, but I have not messed with time, either with console or DM slider. In the past I have, but found a post suggesting that doing so could break a save so I have not changed at settings after creating this game.

 

 

Please help, this game would be so great if it would just let me play it!

 

Thanks in advance

 

 

Edit: I should add that I have uninstalled and reinstalled and validated files in steam several times, and still this happens. 

 

 

Edited by 9DaysToPlay (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

Try it without all the mods. Like any. See if you have the issue in Vanilla. I see at least two mods in your list that could cause corruption.

 

Remove the Mods folder completely, then verify your files.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

Try it without all the mods. Like any. See if you have the issue in Vanilla. I see at least two mods in your list that could cause corruption.

 

Remove the Mods folder completely, then verify your files.

 

OK, I'll try it.  But which mods do you see that could cause corruption?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 9DaysToPlay said:

 

OK, I'll try it.  But which mods do you see that could cause corruption?

For starters the "Daves Vehicle Speed" mod. It's going to put a lot of strain on your CPU and hard drive for loading and accessing world data. Your systems inability to keep up is going to cause corruption in chunk and region data. No offense, but the 6th gen Intel CPU's are some of the worst. A 3rd gen clocks about 10% faster in the type of work the game client is doing.  If your save data is not on an SSD, that's going to kick your ass even more.

Unless the mod actually reduces vehicle speeds. I wasn't able to locate it, but most mods like that are targeted towards making the vehicles faster.

 

The second is a trio.  "No Heat Map From Sounds", "Clear Skies", and "Reasonably Large Stacks". Again, I was unable to locate these mods from any of the reputable sources. All could easily corrupt chunk data if improperly implemented though. Since I am unable to locate the mods, I am unable to verify what they are doing, and to what extent.

 

Add to this the fact that some of the mods you are using may not be updated for a19.5, and you've got another layer of possible issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sylen, could you source me your info on the sixth-gen Intel chips being so bad? I have run a 6950X for years and out-performed others until recently. By others I mean the i9 stuff, but it was within 10% of most recent i7 chips according to most benchmarks I see. It blows away 5th-gen and lower. Maybe it's just the model I have, but I have stuck with it due to its power versus price to upgrade for marginal improvements when currently the big bottleneck is graphics and newer cards being outrageously priced. I do have an RTX 2080 Ti, but the latest Ark expansion (you know which one) slaughters it, and the 3090 is too high right now.

 

Also, I just realized that he has an i5, not an i7. Perhaps my statements are irrelevant. I have always tried to purchase i7 chips and my experience is with them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The_Great_Sephiroth said:

Sylen, could you source me your info on the sixth-gen Intel chips being so bad? I have run a 6950X for years and out-performed others until recently. By others I mean the i9 stuff, but it was within 10% of most recent i7 chips according to most benchmarks I see. It blows away 5th-gen and lower. Maybe it's just the model I have, but I have stuck with it due to its power versus price to upgrade for marginal improvements when currently the big bottleneck is graphics and newer cards being outrageously priced. I do have an RTX 2080 Ti, but the latest Ark expansion (you know which one) slaughters it, and the 3090 is too high right now.

 

Also, I just realized that he has an i5, not an i7. Perhaps my statements are irrelevant. I have always tried to purchase i7 chips and my experience is with them.

Yeah, the X-series is the exception to the rule. That's a 10-core powerhouse. It's above even the unlocked K-series. Comparing any same-gen Intel CPU to their X-series chipset is kind of like comparing a Dodge Caravan with a Charger. One is designed to do a job, and one is designed for high performance.

If I compare your CPU to the same 3rd gen I used for my earlier comparison, yours is about 20% faster on average.

 

Also note that if you're not shy about overclocking and have very good cooling, that 6950X will give Intel's 10th-gen CPU's a run for their money.

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, Sylen, thanks for the clarification. I did have a 6800k in here before the 6950X, and it did well, but it could not handle x264 encoding on the fly. I also don't overclock. I am a firm believer in buying the product which will do the job. That's one reason I bought the pickup I did. It came from the factory able to do everything I need it to and then some. Meanwhile I have acquaintances that buy the cheap version then spend thousands upgrading it to do what mine will, but by that point they have more in theirs than mine, and a LOT of after-market crap to fail later.

 

If I had the cash, I would not mind upgrading to those W Xeons. I'd have enough cores for years, but they want too much for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...