[Prefabs] ZZTong's Custom POIs

zztong

With Teragon's announcement for release on Jan 13, I will need to make a release with Teragon support shortly after that. I have support for it figured out and implemented as of the latest test version, but it is quite possible the interface between custom POIs and Teragon could change, so at this time I don't want to commit to having immediate support available on Jan 13.

Can I ask what kinds of changes were needed to support Teragon?  Not specifically, but just in general.  I would assume it relates to parts and/or tiles?  Just wondering because I plan to try out Teragon tonight along with yours and Deverezieaux's modlets.

3 hours ago, Riamus said:

Can I ask what kinds of changes were needed to support Teragon?  Not specifically, but just in general.  I would assume it relates to parts and/or tiles?  Just wondering because I plan to try out Teragon tonight along with yours and Deverezieaux's modlets.

Sure...

Teragon knows of the Vanilla POIs. It doesn't know about POIs found in a modlet or in LocalPrefabs. Using Teragon's features, you can add processing steps (expert mode) that make Teragon aware of those POIs by telling Teragon about the filesystem path to them and also telling Teragon a path to a configuration file that describes the POIs.

The configuration file is necessary because Teragon does not seem to pull information from the POI's XML files and because you can give Teragon a bit more information that is not normally found in a POI's files.

So...

What I meant by "Teragon Support" was I provided (1) a configuration file and (2) instructions for adding those two steps to a chain of Teragon steps that can make a world.

I hope that helps and is clear.

4 hours ago, Riamus said:

Thank you for the explanation.  Tried Teragon and ran into problems, so will try again without changing settings in it and without other prefabs just to see what happens.

A number of folks hangout on Teragon's Discord in the #discussions channel.

6 hours ago, zztong said:

A number of folks hangout on Teragon's Discord in the #discussions channel.

Thanks, I'm checking for advice there.

While waiting to figure out Teragon, I tried creating a map with the game's RWG with your modlet, but none of the prefabs appeared in the game.  Do you have any suggestions?  In my %appdata%\7DaysToDie\Mods\ folder, I have 3 folders - yours, Deverezieaux's and the one Teragon generates.  I think that's all that is necessary to make use of the prefabs, but it doesn't seem to have added prefabs from these folders.  I verified by checking the prefabs.xml file for the world that was generated and, since yours are easy to identify as they start with zztong, I started by searching those as the only thing I saw that looked like something I hadn't seen was a deep, narrow waterway that was built around a corner with stairs leading down on both legs and a building at the corner.  I'm guessing I just never noticed it before as the prefabs aren't listed in the file.  The prefab I made that I placed in LocalPrefabs was added by RWG, but from the ones I've checked from the modlets, none are there.

One possible thing is that I have the Saves and Generated Worlds stored on a different drive (i.e. not in %appdata%).  Would that require the Mods folder to be placed there instead of %appdata% maybe?   Thanks.  I appreciate the help.

Edited by Riamus
Clarification (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Riamus said:

In my %appdata%\7DaysToDie\Mods\ folder, I have 3 folders - yours, Deverezieaux's and the one Teragon generates.  I think that's all that is necessary to make use of the prefabs, but it doesn't seem to have added prefabs from these folders.

That's the right approach and should do it. I want to double-check a couple of things.

You list this path:

%appdata%\7DaysToDie\Mods\

But it would normally be: 

%appdata%\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Mods

Resulting in:

%appdata%\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Mods\ZZTong-Prefabs

And in that folder at that level you should find a ModInfo.xml file and subdirectories.

Sometimes folks grab a folder out of a ZIP files and later discover there were two layers of ZZTong-Prefabs folders. It depends on how the ZIP gets unpacked as to if that happens.

9 hours ago, Riamus said:

One possible thing is that I have the Saves and Generated Worlds stored on a different drive (i.e. not in %appdata%).  Would that require the Mods folder to be placed there instead of %appdata% maybe?

Yes, perhaps.

One way to tell if the game is seeing your Mods is if you hit F1 while the game is loading. There's a few lines near the top of the log that show the names of the modlets that the game discovered.

It doesn't actually try to interpret/use the modlets until you start a new game, continue a game, or use some of the tools. But at launch as it is getting ready to show you game menus it is discovering things like modlets.

Here's an excerpt from one of my log files. Make note of that first line. You should be able to find similar in your log files. Search on "[MODS]" and it should be near the start of the log file.

My log files are found here:

C:\Users\zzton\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\logs

2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.852 INF [MODS] Start loading from: 'C:\Users\zzton\AppData\Roaming/7DaysToDie/Mods'
2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.855 INF [MODS] Trying to load from folder: 'Loading-Screen-Jokes'
2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.873 INF [MODS] Loaded Mod: Loading-Screen-Jokes (20.6)
2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.873 INF [MODS] Trying to load from folder: 'Pilles-Super-Brush'
2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.874 INF [MODS] Loaded Mod: Pilles Super Brush (StableA17)
2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.874 INF [MODS] Trying to load from folder: 'RELXIX_UIMENU_MoreRWGSizeOptions'
2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.875 INF [MODS] Loaded Mod: RELXIX_UIMENU_MoreRWGSizeOptions (1.1.1)
2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.875 INF [MODS] Trying to load from folder: 'Teragon POIs'
2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.876 INF [MODS] Loaded Mod: Teragon POIs (A20.6)
2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.876 INF [MODS] Trying to load from folder: 'ZZTong-7D2D-Solo-Game'
2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.876 INF [MODS] Loaded Mod: ZZTong-7D2D-Solo-Game (20.6)
2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.876 INF [MODS] Trying to load from folder: 'ZZTong-Prefabs'
2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.877 INF [MODS] Loaded Mod: ZZTong-Prefabs (20.6.013)
2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.877 INF [MODS] Initializing mod code

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

6 hours ago, zztong said:

That's the right approach and should do it. I want to double-check a couple of things.

You list this path:

%appdata%\7DaysToDie\Mods\

But it would normally be: 

%appdata%\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Mods

Resulting in:

%appdata%\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Mods\ZZTong-Prefabs

And in that folder at that level you should find a ModInfo.xml file and subdirectories.

Sometimes folks grab a folder out of a ZIP files and later discover there were two layers of ZZTong-Prefabs folders. It depends on how the ZIP gets unpacked as to if that happens.

Yes, perhaps.

One way to tell if the game is seeing your Mods is if you hit F1 while the game is loading. There's a few lines near the top of the log that show the names of the modlets that the game discovered.

It doesn't actually try to interpret/use the modlets until you start a new game, continue a game, or use some of the tools. But at launch as it is getting ready to show you game menus it is discovering things like modlets.

Here's an excerpt from one of my log files. Make note of that first line. You should be able to find similar in your log files. Search on "[MODS]" and it should be near the start of the log file.

My log files are found here:

C:\Users\zzton\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\logs

2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.852 INF [MODS] Start loading from: 'C:\Users\zzton\AppData\Roaming/7DaysToDie/Mods'
2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.855 INF [MODS] Trying to load from folder: 'Loading-Screen-Jokes'
2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.873 INF [MODS] Loaded Mod: Loading-Screen-Jokes (20.6)
2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.873 INF [MODS] Trying to load from folder: 'Pilles-Super-Brush'
2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.874 INF [MODS] Loaded Mod: Pilles Super Brush (StableA17)
2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.874 INF [MODS] Trying to load from folder: 'RELXIX_UIMENU_MoreRWGSizeOptions'
2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.875 INF [MODS] Loaded Mod: RELXIX_UIMENU_MoreRWGSizeOptions (1.1.1)
2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.875 INF [MODS] Trying to load from folder: 'Teragon POIs'
2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.876 INF [MODS] Loaded Mod: Teragon POIs (A20.6)
2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.876 INF [MODS] Trying to load from folder: 'ZZTong-7D2D-Solo-Game'
2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.876 INF [MODS] Loaded Mod: ZZTong-7D2D-Solo-Game (20.6)
2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.876 INF [MODS] Trying to load from folder: 'ZZTong-Prefabs'
2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.877 INF [MODS] Loaded Mod: ZZTong-Prefabs (20.6.013)
2023-01-15T15:25:13 8.877 INF [MODS] Initializing mod code

Hmm.  I checked my log and it states no mod folder found.  %appdata% (at least in Windows 10) takes you to ..\AppData\Roaming\ already, so %appdata%\7DaysToDie\ is ..\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\ .  That folder has one file (launchersettings.json) and the subfolders (LocalPrefabs, logs, Mods, Screenshots, titlestorage).  Within Mods\ZZTong-Prefabs\, there is the ModInfo.xml file and the same for Deverezieaux's and Teragon's folders.

I'll trying moving the mods folder to the save drive and see if it is recognized and will let you know.

EDIT: Ok, so moving the folder resulted in it being found on load.  I assume it will now work with RWG and probably Teragon as well.  So if anyone has this question in the future, if they set their save location to another place, this also affects the Mods folder and not just the Saves and Generated Worlds folders (logs are still in %appdata%).

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

Got this working with Teragon now as well.  I noticed that you might want to update the thumbnail of your solar_farm_01 as it shows the editing selection lines.  And, I am really liking your POI in the game.  They play well so far, though I just started and have only gone into some of the tier 1s so far.

11 hours ago, Riamus said:

I noticed that you might want to update the thumbnail of your solar_farm_01 as it shows the editing selection lines.

Oh, good point. It didn't use to matter as the thumbnail would only show in the Prefab Editor. Now there are modlets showing the picture, so I probably have many of those thumbnails that need an update.

On 1/14/2023 at 12:41 PM, zztong said:

Version A20.6-ZZ013 is now available. This is mostly a maintenance release. Highlights:

• Teragon Support
  • One new POI - Tier 4 for Old West Town
  • 10 new Decorations
  • Lots and lots of adjustments and bug fixes
  • 4 Terrain Stamps for RWG

Thank you for your using Teragon help text file you put in your prefabs I used it to get compopack to work. I have a pretty simple question though. Should all the prefabs be put on one property list or can you import multiple property lists using the method in your Using Teragon help text? I have a bunch of prefabs from A19 I want to bring over to A20 and was wondering if I should make a copy of compopack list and ad add them in or make my own list and just load it up a second time the way your help file described. I haven't played 7D2D ever since wilderness bug and the in game generator kept making errors when I would try to make a map. Thanks to Teragon I can play again!

12 minutes ago, Astralweaver said:

Should all the prefabs be put on one property list or can you import multiple property lists using the method in your Using Teragon help text?

I think multiple lists would work. That's how I'd do it, but I have not tried it beyond using a vanilla list and my list together.

14 minutes ago, Astralweaver said:

I have a bunch of prefabs from A19 I want to bring over to A20 and was wondering if I should make a copy of compopack list and ad add them in or make my own list and just load it up a second time the way your help file described.

If they are A19 files then you'll have to convert them and probably resize them. That can be a lot of work. Are they unique to you? Otherwise, you might find they are part of the CompoPack and somebody has already done all the work. If they're unique to you, and you convert them, then my approach would be to make a modlet for them and make your own list. Or, dump them in your LocalPrefabs and make your own list.

18 minutes ago, Astralweaver said:

I haven't played 7D2D ever since wilderness bug and the in game generator kept making errors when I would try to make a map. Thanks to Teragon I can play again!

I have no idea what bug that might be. RWG has been solid for me all through A20. Folks are getting Teragon to turn out some really nice terrain, but they're also having trouble with Wilderness POIs. The future of Teragon looks bright, but right now you've got your work cut out for you. I've gotten Wilderness POIs to appear in numbers, but they like to cluster in open spots, kind of making a disorganized city. There are a number of other folks who are doing much more with it than I've had time.

They are unique to me there was a ton of buildings I liked in WOTW and RH that I pulled out and put in a poi folder I even pulled the blocks out needed for the pois it took awhile. There are also many dled from several different locations that I have to verify that are not in compopack before I move them over. I know it is going to be a big task and will take awhile, but now that I can play I want all the stuff I had before it was all set up nice and perfect than A20 stirred the pot and made a mess:)

4 minutes ago, Astralweaver said:

A20 stirred the pot and made a mess:)

It certainly stirred the pot. It was a lot of work converting POIs, but the Tiles and Parts features are worth it. Best of luck with your conversion.

Is the wilderness bug related to size? I know @stallionsden has had issues with very large POIs in the wilderness.

4 minutes ago, zztong said:

It certainly stirred the pot. It was a lot of work converting POIs, but the Tiles and Parts features are worth it. Best of luck with your conversion.

Is the wilderness bug related to size? I know @stallionsden has had issues with very large POIs in the wilderness.

Happens on any poi 209 x 200 or bigger. Tfp are aware of it. Hopefully gets fixed

2 hours ago, Astralweaver said:

Thank you for your using Teragon help text file you put in your prefabs I used it to get compopack to work. I have a pretty simple question though. Should all the prefabs be put on one property list or can you import multiple property lists using the method in your Using Teragon help text? I have a bunch of prefabs from A19 I want to bring over to A20 and was wondering if I should make a copy of compopack list and ad add them in or make my own list and just load it up a second time the way your help file described. I haven't played 7D2D ever since wilderness bug and the in game generator kept making errors when I would try to make a map. Thanks to Teragon I can play again!

2 hours ago, zztong said:

I think multiple lists would work. That's how I'd do it, but I have not tried it beyond using a vanilla list and my list together.

Yes, multiple lists work.  I made one for Deverezieaux's modlet and use yours, zztong, and stuff from both appear.  It is a good way to keep everything separate.  Use multiple import POI property list commands with each file added, then you have the option of using a single add source path command for the root of your mods folder if subdirectories is selected, or you can set up multiple add source paths (one for each mod) if you want an easy way to disable and enable specific mods.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

since Ramsay added this POI to his Rebirth Overhaul i encounter a strange thing i didn't encounter before.

I looted a White river supply crate from one of the sleeper corpse and complete the quest.

Is that based on your Mod or a interesting combination with the Overhaul.

6 minutes ago, Canute said:

Hi,

since Ramsay added this POI to his Rebirth Overhaul i encounter a strange thing i didn't encounter before.

I looted a White river supply crate from one of the sleeper corpse and complete the quest.

Is that based on your Mod or a interesting combination with the Overhaul.

I... don't know. Which POI? What's a White River Supply Crate?

I'm on Discord. I can see the Rebirth channels. If you're around, just use the @ feature to summon me to whichever channel you think best and we can chat real-time if you like. Or I can... I guess #general-chat on Rebirth's boards.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, kydyr said:

Has the Wilderness POIs been fixed yet? When I create a map I only get maybe 4 wilderness pois on it. I'm making 14k maps and all of them are like that. I should have 50 or 60 on the maps instead of 3 or 4.

I'm unaware of a problem with my Wilderness POIs. Are you talking about generating maps using Teragon? I'm aware there's a lot of discussion about Teragon issues on the Teragon Discord and in the Tool part of these boards.

Just now, zztong said:

I'm unaware of a problem with my Wilderness POIs. Are you talking about generating maps using Teragon? I'm aware there's a lot of discussion about Teragon issues on the Teragon Discord and in the Tool part of these boards.

Yes talking about Teragon. Sorry if I posted in wrong forums.

5 minutes ago, kydyr said:

Yes talking about Teragon. Sorry if I posted in wrong forums.

No worries. I don't have any first-hand experience with trying to convince Teragon to place more Wilderness POIs, but others have. IIRC, I think it depends on settings related to smoothness and perhaps some changes to the configuration file I provided to indicate other biomes, altitudes, or something. My strategy with Teragon has been to provide basic support for the moment and look for it to evolve a little.

2 minutes ago, zztong said:

No worries. I don't have any first-hand experience with trying to convince Teragon to place more Wilderness POIs, but others have. IIRC, I think it depends on settings related to smoothness and perhaps some changes to the configuration file I provided to indicate other biomes, altitudes, or something. My strategy with Teragon has been to provide basic support for the moment and look for it to evolve a little.

Thanks for the info. I tried using your ZZTong-Prefabs using KingGen and none of them are showing up on maps I make. Just letting you know. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I been adding prefabs to the prefab folder and those work. Just can't get yours to show up on the maps I create.