Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Will the alpha releases still be available after gold?  Games like Terraria Factorio do this on Steam, is that the plan for 7DTD?

 

EDIT: Sorry, just realized I wrote Terraria when I meant Factorio.  Sorry for the confusion folks!

Edited by Maharin (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ignore post... I misunderstood the question.

 

Also, stop hating me for it, lol.

 

That's an easy one to answer. As long as the money keeps flowing, devs will always release more content to prolong and encourage the flow even more. Doesn't matter what game it is, if they care about their game and of course money, then they'll always do whatever they can to prolong it.

 

I imagine we'll be seeing at least 5 more UI overhauls before they finally get bored of it.

Edited by Fox (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Dislike 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Maharin said:

Will the alpha releases still be available after gold?  Games like Terraria do this on Steam, is that the plan for 7DTD?

It's been a few years, but I'm pretty sure TFP did state that the earlier versions would always be available to those that supported EA. For those who purchase the game after release, I'm not sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I expect the answer would be yes, which is why I called it a dumb question.  :p

 

If Steam Workshop support ever happens and it also supports old versions then... wow, I could see a whole lot free content out there in no time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Maharin said:

Will the alpha releases still be available after gold?  Games like Terraria do this on Steam, is that the plan for 7DTD?

This is basicly a steam feature to instal older and beta/unstable versions. Check out your steam launcher options.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Canute said:

This is basicly a steam feature to instal older and beta/unstable versions. Check out your steam launcher options.

 

 

I have used this feature many times, but thank you.   I was asking if they were going to stick around after release.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't imagine they'd remove a feature like that, that requires zero support from them to maintain. And if they do, there's always a workaround to find old depositories on Steam.

But their goal of going "Gold" is that you'd want to play that and nothing else for the complete feature set, and it will be finished/stable so modders use that as a base for everything going forward.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lemmers said:

I can't imagine they'd remove a feature like that, that requires zero support from them to maintain. And if they do, there's always a workaround to find old depositories on Steam.

But their goal of going "Gold" is that you'd want to play that and nothing else for the complete feature set, and it will be finished/stable so modders use that as a base for everything going forward.

Steam probably charges them for each version that is available for the tool. Just like they charge extra for various levels of cloud storage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2021 at 2:26 PM, Maharin said:

Will the alpha releases still be available after gold?  Games like Terraria do this on Steam, is that the plan for 7DTD?

 

Terraria's done updating pretty much, might want to pick a more relevant example. 😛

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

 

Terraria's done updating pretty much, might want to pick a more relevant example. 😛

 

Yeah, totally meant to say Factorio, not Terraria.  Sorry about that.

 

EDIT: But, seriously, Terraria and Factorio have both been released and updated several times since.  So... :p

Edited by Maharin (see edit history)
  • Have a Cookie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Maharin said:

 

Yeah, totally meant to say Factorio, not Terraria.  Sorry about that.

 

EDIT: But, seriously, Terraria and Factorio have both been released and updated several times since.  So... :p

Well it depends about they "owner" decide : if they decide to be independed alpha will be avalible if they decide to issue shares on market then well it depends who will buy it

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2021 at 3:26 PM, Maharin said:

Will the alpha releases still be available after gold?  Games like Terraria Factorio do this on Steam, is that the plan for 7DTD?

 

EDIT: Sorry, just realized I wrote Terraria when I meant Factorio.  Sorry for the confusion folks!

the only dumb question in existence is pondering whether or not to put pineapple on your pizza because the answer is ALWAYS yes :)

  • Dislike 1
  • Knuckle Rub 1
  • Afraid 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2021 at 1:41 PM, Maharin said:

 

Yeah, totally meant to say Factorio, not Terraria.  Sorry about that.

 

EDIT: But, seriously, Terraria and Factorio have both been released and updated several times since.  So... :p

 

This was due to the fact that Terraria was cancelled a couple of times. 😛

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...