Jump to content

Server Reboot Purgatory


Recommended Posts

The game brings be back from time to time, but I ALWAYS stop playing for the same reason:

 

The Perpetual Server Reboot required to keep multiplayer functional.

 

It's hourly chinese water torture on every server and it completely breaks immersion.

Have the developers completely given up on a game with a functional garbage collection routine?

 

They just keep plowing forward?

Literally any other game seems more appealing after a couple of these annoying reboots.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Have a Cookie 1
  • Dislike 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

How do you get from "I experience problem X" to "Problem X is encountered by everybody and the developers just ignore it"? If you have a stability problem, you should post to the General Support forum and provide your logs (read the sticky post at the top of the forum). Don't lead with your chin like you did here, and you'll find many people willing to help. Go in with "why does this game suck so bad" and, well, at least you can get it off your chest.

 

15 minutes ago, apex1x said:

It's hourly chinese water torture on every server

 

Edit to add: are you talking about other people's servers? If so, maybe you should take it up with the server owners? My dedicated runs 24/7 with no memory leaks.

Edited by Boidster (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

While I don’t run the server client 24/7, I do run it on the same machine I will play on.

The server management tools and xmls are okay but a minor pain to deal with. Other than that it runs fine.

Does the machine running the server have a lot of memory? Are you having more than 8 people connecting? Is the machine and it’s card cooled well?
Does it do the same thing with other games or programs?
Any mods installed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Boidster said:

How do you get from "I experience problem X" to "Problem X is encountered by everybody and the developers just ignore it"?

Seems to be a common theme as of lately; basically telling science to $%&#@ it and generalizing because 'I'.

 

Any way, are you or the server owner really on an hourly restart schedule, or was that just for the sake of emphasis? If not, how long does it take for the server to act up? In which way is it acting up?

Map size, no of players, do these tend to organize, or is everyone rolling on their own?

Best answer that in your thread over at Support section.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

IF you run the server within supported parameters, you don't have to restart all that often. On Windows you can go 8-12 hours between restarts, and on Linux 24 hours is easy.

 

But see there is the rub. Server owners refuse to accept known hard limitations for the client. So they exceed them. Which causes issues, which leads to them having to restart the server frequently to keep it stable.

 

I just recently covered this in some detail in another thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

8 hours ago, uncle.heavy said:

Seems to be a common theme as of lately; basically telling science to $%&#@ it and generalizing because 'I'.

 

Any way, are you or the server owner really on an hourly restart schedule, or was that just for the sake of emphasis? If not, how long does it take for the server to act up? In which way is it acting up?

Map size, no of players, do these tend to organize, or is everyone rolling on their own?

Best answer that in your thread over at Support section.

 

This is not a request for technical support if you read my post.

This is more like group therapy. 

 

Every server out there I've played on had a regular reset, so please don't pretend this is a one-off issue.

  • Have a Cookie 1
  • Dislike 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

IF you run the server within supported parameters, you don't have to restart all that often. On Windows you can go 8-12 hours between restarts, and on Linux 24 hours is easy.

 

But see there is the rub. Server owners refuse to accept known hard limitations for the client. So they exceed them. Which causes issues, which leads to them having to restart the server frequently to keep it stable.

 

I just recently covered this in some detail in another thread.

 

Ok so the Pimps said 8 or 16 players max with a little wink.

Doesn't seem like a very hard limit if a single client can cause such server instability.

 

Is the game design philosophy to just plow forward? 

 

  • Dislike 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, apex1x said:

This is not a request for technical support if you read my post.

This is more like group therapy. 

 

Every server out there I've played on had a regular reset, so please don't pretend this is a one-off issue.

Well, you're still the only patient in the therapy session. Maybe the others slept in a bit.

Also, you still failed to provide any details that might help to determine whether there are any other cases like yours - at all.

Hard supported player limit hasn't changed for ages as far as I know. Everything beyond said limit, which is not 16, is at your own risk, and depends entirely upon your own capabilities and proper assessment thereof.

If there was any necessity to reboot servers on an hourly schedule, I surely would not play this game. Hardly anyone would or should, I am completely with you on that.

But you have to understand that the forums are not full of this issue - neither this forum nor any others I could come up with.

So, what could it be? Either your client is crashing servers left and right, prompting them to reboot - in which case *fanfare* Support Forum is your friend. Or:

"Every server out there I've played on" could mean anything, starting with "several servers which are all run by the ever same few people" - who in this case shouldn't be running a pocket calculator without medical supervision, let alone a game server.

Expanding on that, every server admin you've played with until now does not seem to fit that role - if they really told you "well, I have to reboot once an hour every hour because of the game design itself".

Only, I suspect they didn't.

If they did, Support Forum is their friend.

Going by your attitude this might well be the last helpful post you get so cherish the wisdom.

Edited by uncle.heavy (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Have a Cookie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, apex1x said:

 

Ok so the Pimps said 8 or 16 players max with a little wink.

Doesn't seem like a very hard limit if a single client can cause such server instability.

 

Is the game design philosophy to just plow forward? 

 

It's not 8 or 16 it's 8 and nobody winked.

 

If you're having bad issues with your server to where one player causes instability like you said you may want to open a post in the general support section so we can help you (rather than saying it's just impossible), because I've seen/played on/use to test servers that run pretty smooth with daily or every other day reboots. A couple of them only a few/couple of people use and those things have been running for weeks if not months without issues, until an update hits or something like that.

 

Optimizations are being done, but most will come during the later phases.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/26/2021 at 3:22 AM, uncle-heavy said:

Well, you're still the only patient in the therapy session. Maybe the others slept in a bit.

Also, you still failed to provide any details that might help to determine whether there are any other cases like yours - at all.

Hard supported player limit hasn't changed for ages as far as I know. Everything beyond said limit, which is not 16, is at your own risk, and depends entirely upon your own capabilities and proper assessment thereof.

If there was any necessity to reboot servers on an hourly schedule, I surely would not play this game. Hardly anyone would or should, I am completely with you on that.

But you have to understand that the forums are not full of this issue - neither this forum nor any others I could come up with.

So, what could it be? Either your client is crashing servers left and right, prompting them to reboot - in which case *fanfare* Support Forum is your friend. Or:

"Every server out there I've played on" could mean anything, starting with "several servers which are all run by the ever same few people" - who in this case shouldn't be running a pocket calculator without medical supervision, let alone a game server.

Expanding on that, every server admin you've played with until now does not seem to fit that role - if they really told you "well, I have to reboot once an hour every hour because of the game design itself".

Only, I suspect they didn't.

If they did, Support Forum is their friend.

Going by your attitude this might well be the last helpful post you get so cherish the wisdom.

 

No offence but having 3 posts to your name doesn't scream of wisdom.

17 hours ago, Jugginator said:

It's not 8 or 16 it's 8 and nobody winked.

 

If you're having bad issues with your server to where one player causes instability like you said you may want to open a post in the general support section so we can help you (rather than saying it's just impossible), because I've seen/played on/use to test servers that run pretty smooth with daily or every other day reboots. A couple of them only a few/couple of people use and those things have been running for weeks if not months without issues, until an update hits or something like that.

 

Optimizations are being done, but most will come during the later phases.

 

Could you please provide some evidence for ongoing and planned game optimizations?

This game is how many years old and you think there will suddenly be an optimization design phase? This is like the cart leading the horse.

 

Bottom line is 8 players is not much of a multiplayer experience. All the active servers seem to have much higher player limits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, apex1x said:

 

No offence but having 3 posts to your name doesn't scream of wisdom.

 

Could you please provide some evidence for ongoing and planned game optimizations?

This game is how many years old and you think there will suddenly be an optimization design phase? This is like the cart leading the horse.

 

Bottom line is 8 players is not much of a multiplayer experience. All the active servers seem to have much higher player limits.

 

Posts count doesn't mean wisdom.  Some of the wisest people say very little.

 

Evidence of ongoing game optimization?  How about just playing the game over the last several Alphas (both major release and the minor releases)?  We have seen evidence of the efforts that Fataal and the other devs are making in the background to improve the gaming performance.  Based on the feedback from Madmole, Fataal, and others, we also know that optimizations will continue up to the release date of this game.  This is why it is in Alpha status - adding new elements while improving the performance.

 

Bottom line, TFP are working on an 8 player Co-Op experience with the game, so the game is being optimized around that target.  Sure, you can (and will see) have higher player limits, but your experience at those levels will be based on your hardware and the server's hardware.  Unable to run smoothly while exceeding the game limitations is not an issue that TFP should address.

  • Like 3
  • Have a Cookie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, apex1x said:

 

No offence but having 3 posts to your name doesn't scream of wisdom.

 

Could you please provide some evidence for ongoing and planned game optimizations?

This game is how many years old and you think there will suddenly be an optimization design phase? This is like the cart leading the horse.

 

Bottom line is 8 players is not much of a multiplayer experience. All the active servers seem to have much higher player limits.

 

This game is still in development. Full optimization comes when all the content is added. So in the beta phase and we are still in alpha with this game. Optimizing everything before all the content is added would just mean a huge amount of work and time aka a lot of money. You simply can´t do that every new alpha.

 

Ofc there is some optimization done during alpha also, otherwise it would propably be unplayable.

 

What kind of proof do yo expect besides someone from the team saying it will happen? It´s the normal cycle of game development that is happening here. Optimization comes shortly before the game is finished.

 

Those servers having higher player limits simply ignore that the developers didn´t programm this for more than 8 people. That these servers are existing is not an argument. It´s like complaining that a VW golf is not a bus that can fit 50 people.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/25/2021 at 8:22 PM, apex1x said:

Is the game design philosophy to just plow forward?

 

Yes. And thank you for acknowledging that we are moving forward. Others who come on here all aggressive try to say that TFP has taken backward steps but I like your discernment that it is all forward movement.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, apex1x said:

No offence but having 3 posts to your name doesn't scream of wisdom.

 

I could have sworn @uncle-heavy has posted more than three times. That really surprised me. huh....

 

By your own admission, you have no interest in trying to solve the problem you are having and just wanted to vent your frutration. I hope you feel better now. My post count wisdom leads me to suggest that you get some help on this and that will have better long term benefits rather than just picking fights and railing against the development process. But your post count wisdom leads me to suspect you won't listen to anyone's advice.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, uncle.heavy said:

Erm, yes, that would definitely not be false witness.

At least, also counting the posts that @uncle.heavy produced.

It's complicated - but I already reported myself :)

I was able to merge them. Your wisdom has increased.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are the servers on hourly reboot hosting mods? Sometimes mods can be the source of leaks as well. I rent a server, no mods, and the only time I reboot is when there is an issue with the server provider. My server gets ‘laggy’ and I submit a ticket to Bluefang, they do whatever server providers do and lag is gone then I reboot to be sure and all is good. Happens once every 3-4 months, certainly not hourly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/27/2021 at 5:59 AM, apex1x said:

Could you please provide some evidence for ongoing and planned game optimizations?

This game is how many years old and you think there will suddenly be an optimization design phase? This is like the cart leading the horse.

See these changes in 19.5 release notes.

 

Voxel mesh pooling

Distant terrain decreases mesh detail when farther

FindTagInChilds does not make garbage

Distant POIs to use a shared material 

Improved chunk LOD update 

Optimized chunk object handling and frame timings 

Optimized terrain mesh generation 

Optimized terrain control textures to not update with every mesh update 

Optimized distant terrain tile size 

Optimized VoxelMesh AddMesh 

Optimized distant terrain render order

Block preview for normal blocks leaking a mesh on each update 

ItemClassBlock CreateMesh having to destroy unneeded colliders 

Empty voxel meshes were being created 

Distant POI mesh and material leaks 

Distant POIs could load and leak extra invisible objects

 

This game is not done. Pretty much all games go through an optimization and bug fix period for the last x months of development. Being early access, this game goes through a small version of that with each alpha.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...