Small maps?

Hyperbolt

Is it only me, but wouldnt it sometimes be handy to be able to make a smaller map, like a 2x2 km map?  I have on multiple occasions wanted to make a map with myself being stuck on an island, or contained in only 1 big city surrounded with radzones. 

Ive tried nitrogen alot, but other sizes than 4, 8 and 16 km didnt want to work for me. (so maybe my problem could have been solved with just a bit more digging in files?) 

I know many people seems to aim for larger maps, but sometimes a small map is nice to have access to, for a short-term challenge playtrough! 

They are reworking random gen for the next release, but there as been no mention of smaller maps (even possible they will do away with the 4k maps and start at 6k in size).  They are adding more generation options so it might be possible to get your island, though.

A 4k map is small, though.  Small enough to actually run from one end to another in a day or so (depending on day length).

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2021 at 6:20 AM, Maharin said:

They are reworking random gen for the next release, but there as been no mention of smaller maps (even possible they will do away with the 4k maps and start at 6k in size).  They are adding more generation options so it might be possible to get your island, though.

A 4k map is small, though.  Small enough to actually run from one end to another in a day or so (depending on day length).

yeah great only thinking of the people with super pcs because not everyone has a good pc and cant afford a better one either doing away with the 4k map for a 6k map is pointless and stupid

2 hours ago, 7daystodierocks said:

yeah great only thinking of the people with super pcs because not everyone has a good pc and cant afford a better one either doing away with the 4k map for a 6k map is pointless and stupid

They have been optimizing as well.  But in all seriousness you can't expect a game in development for so many years to keep the original specs, can you?  Not to mention it's a voxel game with physics, which automatically means beefy machine requirements (then and now).

6 hours ago, Maharin said:

They have been optimizing as well.  But in all seriousness you can't expect a game in development for so many years to keep the original specs, can you?  Not to mention it's a voxel game with physics, which automatically means beefy machine requirements (then and now).

true bu i still dont see where switching the 4k maps for 6k maps helps at all even as is if a person had a 4k map for a multiplayer group you would struggle to mine all the resources on the 4k map. Just my thoughts tho :)

I'd play a 1x1km map if I could.

I play single player, I prefer no loot respawn, but that doesn't really have that much impact if there's ten thousand POIs on the map. Shortage of pre-apocalypse items would be more meaningful sooner on a tiny map.

Edited by Junuxx (see edit history)

23 hours ago, Crater Creator said:

I suppose now that the game reports analytics, TFP can see whether 4K or 8K maps are more popular now, and use that as one guide for whether to go bigger or smaller.

keep in mind not every has the PC that can handle 8k maps like myself for example the only thing removing 4k maps would do is essentially stop me from playing the game i love for good

On 6/10/2021 at 4:06 AM, Crater Creator said:

I suppose now that the game reports analytics, TFP can see whether 4K or 8K maps are more popular now, and use that as one guide for whether to go bigger or smaller.

for this to give tfp more reliable statistics so we can see what is true, people will need to enable gamesparks.

if only people really knew how many of those games and apps are all watching everything we do. :)

11 hours ago, 7daystodierocks said:

keep in mind not every has the PC that can handle 8k maps like myself for example the only thing removing 4k maps would do is essentially stop me from playing the game i love for good

I understand your concern, but you’re basing that assessment on an A19 standard.  You don’t know how A20, with its optimizations and other changes, would perform on your hardware (nor do I).

8 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

for this to give tfp more reliable statistics so we can see what is true, people will need to enable gamesparks.

if only people really knew how many of those games and apps are all watching everything we do. :)

My recollection was that an opt out was added, not an opt in.  It was enabled by default, thus getting data from everyone who doesn’t care or doesn’t notice the option.  If so, your sample size should be more than sufficient to eke out trends.

12 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

All while everything with a microphone is recording what we say and everything with a camera is taking pictures and/or video...

If they follow my search history it's their own fault their eyes are bleeding.

7 hours ago, Crater Creator said:

I understand your concern, but you’re basing that assessment on an A19 standard.  You don’t know how A20, with its optimizations and other changes, would perform on your hardware (nor do I).

My recollection was that an opt out was added, not an opt in.  It was enabled by default, thus getting data from everyone who doesn’t care or doesn’t notice the option.  If so, your sample size should be more than sufficient to eke out trends.

true but personally i dont see what it adds switching 4k maps for 6k maps and as it sits it takes me roughly 45 mins to generate a 4k map

3 hours ago, 7daystodierocks said:

true but personally i dont see what it adds switching 4k maps for 6k maps and as it sits it takes me roughly 45 mins to generate a 4k map

The devs have said they're aiming for 1 minute of generation time per square kilometer, e.g. ~6 minutes for a 6K map if they meet their goal.

I have been using King Gen to make custom maps with specific city and district layouts (industrial/commercial/residential)

https://imgur.com/a/VogzfUF - 8k custom height map/biomes/city layout/districts/water.

Everything is designed using Gimp and King Gen. Takes some work but you can make some really specific maps.

Now they implemented custom water spawn so we can go below "sea level" on maps.

Check it out here

Edited by warmer (see edit history)

1 hour ago, theFlu said:

@Roland I seem to remember you had something to with teaching math, help a virus out here...? :)

Okay, fine, 1 minute per linear kilometer.  I was remembering wrong how the map sizes are listed.  But here you can hear it straight from the programmer.

14:30 Kinyajuu: The speed of world gen right now, the idea is to keep it at, at most, 1 minute per kilometer.  So like an 8K, we don't want to go over 8 minutes.  10K... speaking of, the three new sizes for the new maps.  We're gonna start with 6,144 (m) since that's the Navezgane size.  We're not gonna do the 4K.  They felt real small, and 6K kinda feels about right, and then we have 8K still, and then we're also going to have 10K size maps.  So you get an extra, bigger size map.  But, like, a 10K shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to generate, and that's, like, my hard goal.  If there's problems, like, going over that number, it's something I have to look into and, like, not accept.  So we're gonna try to keep it to where it doesn't feel like it takes forever to get into the game the first time.

How will @Kinyajuu's generation algorithm run in better than O(n^2) time, you ask?  Above my pay grade. 😛

Edited by Crater Creator (see edit history)

Hah, thanks; I didn't exactly know what to ask, but that was more than I would've asked for .. :)

O(n^2), yeah, that seems like an issue. Then again, reading the transcript, it's just a hard limit of "less than", so they'll just need to solve it for the largest one, the small ones will be pretty instant ... And fire/ban anyone who proposes adding the ability to do larger maps ... :)

3 hours ago, Crater Creator said:

Okay, fine, 1 minute per linear kilometer.  I was remembering wrong how the map sizes are listed.  But here you can hear it straight from the programmer.

14:30 Kinyajuu: The speed of world gen right now, the idea is to keep it at, at most, 1 minute per kilometer.  So like an 8K, we don't want to go over 8 minutes.  10K... speaking of, the three new sizes for the new maps.  We're gonna start with 6,144 (m) since that's the Navezgane size.  We're not gonna do the 4K.  They felt real small, and 6K kinda feels about right, and then we have 8K still, and then we're also going to have 10K size maps.  So you get an extra, bigger size map.  But, like, a 10K shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to generate, and that's, like, my hard goal.  If there's problems, like, going over that number, it's something I have to look into and, like, not accept.  So we're gonna try to keep it to where it doesn't feel like it takes forever to get into the game the first time.

How will @Kinyajuu's generation algorithm run in better than O(n^2) time, you ask?  Above my pay grade. 😛

Well it can be done like gotham from batman movies - city on small island - big and small in this same time - high skyscrappers , flats , police station hospital etc  on 2km^2 map