Trader-specific quests?

Hey, all. I was wondering if it was possible to create quests that could only be given by a certain trader.  For example, Trader Jen would have a specific quest to gather medical supplies.

I've looked through the XML, and if there is a way to do this, I haven't found it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

30 minutes ago, khzmusik said:

Hey, all. I was wondering if it was possible to create quests that could only be given by a certain trader.  For example, Trader Jen would have a specific quest to gather medical supplies.

I've looked through the XML, and if there is a way to do this, I haven't found it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Not exactly tho you can do those notes things you find in loot etc.

Tho you return to any trader.

Look in quests.xml. items.xmk and localisation.xmk are the ones off the top of my head.  

But you can also look at valmars starter class system to see the process.

There are also other mods tht have it in to.

Edited by stallionsden (see edit history)

Hm. Thanks for that, but it's not exactly what I had in mind.

This is all kind of building up to a faction-based quest system, where quests will only be offered by people (traders) who have an "alignment" with a certain faction. For example, a trader that is sympathetic to the Duke would offer a "clear" quest, but the POI that you go to is full of whiteriver NPCs and you have to kill them all. (That one is a bit over the top but you get what I mean.)

That wouldn't really work if you could just find a "kill the whiteriver folks" quest as a note in a random loot chest.

But, it's certainly better than nothing.

46 minutes ago, khzmusik said:

Hm. Thanks for that, but it's not exactly what I had in mind.

This is all kind of building up to a faction-based quest system, where quests will only be offered by people (traders) who have an "alignment" with a certain faction. For example, a trader that is sympathetic to the Duke would offer a "clear" quest, but the POI that you go to is full of whiteriver NPCs and you have to kill them all. (That one is a bit over the top but you get what I mean.)

That wouldn't really work if you could just find a "kill the whiteriver folks" quest as a note in a random loot chest.

But, it's certainly better than nothing.

Maybe dmt be able to.  But like I said not exactly what you were after but what the gane could do as Is.

• 2 weeks later...

I discovered that there is a way to do this, in vanilla, no special code needed!

It's not done in the game, but each npc_info node in npc.xml, can accept an attribute called "quest_list". By default it is "trader_quests" which you can see in quests.xml.

But it can be any quest_list ID. So, you can make a quest list that is specific to (say) Trader Jen, called "jen_quests", and set the "quest_list" attribute to that value in her npc_info node.

That's going to do me a world of good. Hopefully it helps other folks too.