what's your pet peeve about the game?

ElCabong

13 hours ago, meganoth said:

Don't think so. Any redesign would face the same problem, a section of players always wouldn't like it, for this or that reason. There is a group of people on the forum who complain the game is too hard and a group of people who complain the game is too easy. Seems that makes it a good balance.

Technical reason why basic zombies should be able to penetrate steel:

Because the game spawns them even in end game. That is good for variety (otherwise you would only see glowies making combat very uniform and repetitive).

But if those basic zombies then could not penetrate steel or even concrete then you would have the perfect easy mode strategy built into the horde night: Kill only glowies and ferals until only basic zombies are left. And then let them hit ineffectively on steel blocks and just wait. Even if you don't do this what would be the use of them even spawning if they don't represent any danger at all? This is not a pony farm simulator, this is supposed to be a horror game!

So this change would not be good from a game design perspective, even if a few players may actually want that. And reality is broken in so many ways in this game (for gameplay reasons) that one more or less will not make a dent.

true i guess what i should have said is maybe its time to add some new zombies :)

My biggest pet peeve that surrounds this game are all the console players that continuously saltpost on twitter, meanwhile the console updates have been posted/linked time and time again, often directly to their posts.  Somehow It just still bounces off their head, and all I can think about is this scene from The Water Boy.

On 6/9/2021 at 7:47 PM, JCrook1028 said:

So turn zombie block damage down. It's in the options for a reason. Use the tools given to you by the game.

Dude, really? You missed my point entirely. Regardless of the block damage, end-game blocks should not be so easy to burrow through.

My intention was to point out there are other means to increase the difficulty, like have the zombies pile up enough to spill over the wall. Or have them burrow a bit more "logically" and circumvent the steel wall by digging underneath. Or spawn more destroyers. Or any number of things that make a smart game difficulty ramp-up instead of "let's multiply bad things by 2 or 3 and call it insane".

On 6/10/2021 at 1:22 PM, meganoth said:

If you have problems designing a base that can hold up through a horde night I would suggest to copy designs from streamers, some of them have refined their bases to withstand anything. And as JCrook1028 said, use the option.

I don't have any problems designing an impregnable base. If I had, this would have been a rant instead of a pet peeve.

I build either a tunnel trap base or a really thick multi-layered walled base to sort of brute-force stop the zombie horde.

Sometimes I just jump between PoIs previously "enhanced" with ladders and obstacles while zombies chase me.

I have little problems surviving on the highest difficulty, it's just that it's always annoying to have to repair a massive number of steel blocks after each horde, especially on horde every night. I'd rather just spend my nights on top of the buildings that can be respawned in the morning into their original shape with a quest.

9 hours ago, Blasphemous said:

Dude, really? You missed my point entirely. Regardless of the block damage, end-game blocks should not be so easy to burrow through.

My intention was to point out there are other means to increase the difficulty, like have the zombies pile up enough to spill over the wall. Or have them burrow a bit more "logically" and circumvent the steel wall by digging underneath. Or spawn more destroyers. Or any number of things that make a smart game difficulty ramp-up instead of "let's multiply bad things by 2 or 3 and call it insane".

I don't have any problems designing an impregnable base. If I had, this would have been a rant instead of a pet peeve.

I build either a tunnel trap base or a really thick multi-layered walled base to sort of brute-force stop the zombie horde.

Sometimes I just jump between PoIs previously "enhanced" with ladders and obstacles while zombies chase me.

I have little problems surviving on the highest difficulty, it's just that it's always annoying to have to repair a massive number of steel blocks after each horde, especially on horde every night. I'd rather just spend my nights on top of the buildings that can be respawned in the morning into their original shape with a quest.

Ok, sure, but where is the danger to your life if your change were applied? Lets say steel walls are nearly impregnable. Now players will simply have a steel wall not only at the sides, but on the ground and ceiling of their base. No burrow and circumvent the steel wall when it is on all sides! No use climbing the wall when the zombies gain nothing to be above you.

Another idea of yours: Spawn more destroyers (I assume you mean demolishers). Demolishers are very very good in destroying blocks. So how exactly does that diminish your repair work?

On 7/7/2021 at 11:37 AM, meganoth said:

Ok, sure, but where is the danger to your life if your change were applied? Lets say steel walls are nearly impregnable. Now players will simply have a steel wall not only at the sides, but on the ground and ceiling of their base. No burrow and circumvent the steel wall when it is on all sides! No use climbing the wall when the zombies gain nothing to be above you.

Another idea of yours: Spawn more destroyers (I assume you mean demolishers). Demolishers are very very good in destroying blocks. So how exactly does that diminish your repair work?

Yes, demolishers, I played another game with a similar monster called destroyer ;)

Destroyers can be disabled before they ruin your base, assuming you're a good shot.

Their advantage can be negated by skillful play. Zombies' scraping through concrete with their crusty nails can't.

At the point in the game where you can use steel on all the blocks, I doubt there is any danger to your life anyway.

The whole idea is to get there in the first place.

Early and mid game is the time when survival is more difficult, end game doesn't pose any significant challenges, only nuisances like zombies burrowing through steel in seconds.

I don't actually want to build a steel cage and lock myself in for the duration of the horde night.

I build steel bases to withstand the assault but I actually actively kill zombies, dispatch the vultures and so on.

The game already has features which allow players to wait out the horde, that's not my intention.

But having steel walls melt under Sylvias' fleshy fingers is bad, regardless of how that fits into the game balance. I'm not a game designer and can't really come up with a better solution to keep up the challenge. However, from the perspective of a player, it's ridiculous how easily zombies dig through reinforced concrete and steel, hence this being my pet peeve.

1 hour ago, Blasphemous said:

Yes, demolishers, I played another game with a similar monster called destroyer ;)

Destroyers can be disabled before they ruin your base, assuming you're a good shot.

Their advantage can be negated by skillful play. Zombies' scraping through concrete with their crusty nails can't.

At the point in the game where you can use steel on all the blocks, I doubt there is any danger to your life anyway.

The whole idea is to get there in the first place.

Early and mid game is the time when survival is more difficult, end game doesn't pose any significant challenges, only nuisances like zombies burrowing through steel in seconds.

I don't actually want to build a steel cage and lock myself in for the duration of the horde night.

I build steel bases to withstand the assault but I actually actively kill zombies, dispatch the vultures and so on.

The game already has features which allow players to wait out the horde, that's not my intention.

But having steel walls melt under Sylvias' fleshy fingers is bad, regardless of how that fits into the game balance. I'm not a game designer and can't really come up with a better solution to keep up the challenge. However, from the perspective of a player, it's ridiculous how easily zombies dig through reinforced concrete and steel, hence this being my pet peeve.

Well, I was commenting on your assertion that "My intention was to point out there are other means to increase the difficulty, like ..." and then you mention two possibilities that simply don't actually work. Which probably means that this is a very hard problem to solve, since nobody came up with a better solution yet.

And steel walls were mentioned by you when you proposed the changes, I was only parroting that, we can look at early- and mid-game and substitute steel with concrete or cobblestone and your ideas still won't work.

16 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Well, I was commenting on your assertion that "My intention was to point out there are other means to increase the difficulty, like ..." and then you mention two possibilities that simply don't actually work. Which probably means that this is a very hard problem to solve, since nobody came up with a better solution yet.

And steel walls were mentioned by you when you proposed the changes, I was only parroting that, we can look at early- and mid-game and substitute steel with concrete or cobblestone and your ideas still won't work.

It's just what came to my mind in terms of difficulty, it's not an exhaustive list. Could well be poor ideas.

Also, I don't mind if cobblestone is weak to zombies or even regular concrete, it's easy to build and replace, it could even be argued from the lore standpoint that it's somewhat susceptible to zombies. My only problem is with steel being weak.

• 3 weeks later...

The fact that there is a filter to look for servers that have mods or don't have mods that does absolutely nothing. Filter the server list for no mods on a server but you still get servers that have external mods on them that end up crashing the game when you try to join them. (maybe if i waited long enough the game would just stop spamming the null errors and go back to the starting screen, but generally it seems faster to just kill the game and start over)

Edited by soulsbane
more explanation (see edit history)

7D2D is still a great game.

However it's also a game I've played more than any other game, ever.  No other game is close to the number of hours I've spent.

...And that is the problem for me with this game, and I believe numerous others.

...And that could be a possible reason people don't live much past 100 years.  Too many: "Been there, done that"s.

...And thats why I'm waiting on 7D2D part 2: "Al's Marina vs The Apocalypse!"  Based in and around New York City.  :D

Stat system is garbage, as were now gated by stats instead of levels, which is even more of a hard gating, as without the right stats your locked out of certain skills entirely, where as before they just had a level requirement. I really dispise the stat system, it screws single player games so hard.

59 minutes ago, Scyris said:

Stat system is garbage, as were now gated by stats instead of levels, which is even more of a hard gating, as without the right stats your locked out of certain skills entirely, where as before they just had a level requirement. I really dispise the stat system, it screws single player games so hard.

I never had an issue with the stats system, and I only play sp.

On 5/16/2021 at 4:51 AM, Kattla said:

No pets. That's my peeve...

Along with the removal of the plains biome.

I see wydt lol...

Hmm....my pet peeve about the game...

1) No leader board / high score tracking.

It always has felt rewarding in games meant to be played more then once some type of high score awareness at the end of a run.  Many games still do this today and its nice to know where you stand each run through so you know what to shoot for.  No pun intended.

Its also a nice way to brag to your buddies. 😅

2 hours ago, Laz Man said:

I see wydt lol...

Hmm....my pet peeve about the game...

1) No leader board / high score tracking.

It always has felt rewarding in games meant to be played more then once some type of high score awareness at the end of a run.  Many games still do this today and its nice to know where you stand each run through so you know what to shoot for.  No pun intended.

Its also a nice way to brag to your buddies. 😅

I'd challenge you.

5 hours ago, Maharin said:

This is impressive.  Anyone else get killed by a rabbit?  Granted, the little @%$# had the help of a land mine right next to me, but still.

Am I playing the bragging game correctly?

You need to change your name to Elmer now...😅

My biggest pet peeve is not having the old sneak mechanics, I do like that I know how easily detected I could be, but I still liked knowing if I was hidden, sensed, or hunted. I have some zombies walk toward my direction but didn't know if I had actually aggroed them for them to sense or immediately hunt me. So I have to usually wait to find out. Plus it helps to know if I can inflict my next sneak attack damage multiplier.

Mine is the lack of an 'auto-walk' (also 'cruise control' for vehicles) feature as is common in a lot of other games I play.  It's nice to be able to take my left hand off the keyboard and have a drink or something when all I'm doing is walking/cycling/driving in a straight line in game.

In a game where hours long game sessions are the norm it's also unhealthy. 

27 minutes ago, Ezed said:

Mine is the lack of an 'auto-walk' (also 'cruise control' for vehicles) feature as is common in a lot of other games I play.  It's nice to be able to take my left hand off the keyboard and have a drink or something when all I'm doing is walking/cycling/driving in a straight line in game.

In a game where hours long game sessions are the norm it's also unhealthy. 

Couldn't you use your right hand to drink?  Just sayin'...

29 minutes ago, Ezed said:

Not if I'd like to be able to grab my mouse in order to steer around a stump if need be.  All my left hand is doing is pressing W. 

Right clicking the mouse while in a vehicle switches the vehicle to using WSAD steering (A to turn left, D to turn right). You might need to realign the camera using the mouse with the direction of travel though. Right click again to swap back to using the mouse to turn the vehicle instead of looking around.