Request: option to keep the (dedicated) server ticking even when empty

Kadigan KS-b

15 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Seems you are playing on the same machine that runs the server. Instead of logging out how about stay in game and activate god mode and as I said earlier go invisible or deep underground. When you play again deactivate god mode.

Actually, no. I mentioned that I have the server running on a Linux box.

I realize this solution will prevent you from playing other steam games but there simply is no way around this without a second copy and a second machine.

Which is why I won't do it. Not only does it block me from playing other games, it also forces me to run my personal PC 24/7, at GPU load no less.

The fact that there's no way around this without owning a second copy and paying for power for a second PC is what I have a problem with to begin with.

I still don’t understand why or what takes 8-10 hours to process, can you give a moderately specific example?

Boiling about 5k Murky Water. Something like 420~450 minutes. Turning objects into smelted scrap... about 90 minutes per batch, I usually do between 16 and 24 batches in one sitting (split between 4 forges). Yes, I could probably turn it way down, but I don't want to -- these amounts are fun for me.

10 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Wait is Dad the guy running the server?

If so do what I said above. Dad has admin rights when he is done playing he enables god mode and goes invisible or deep underground. When he plays he disables god mode.

He is not. And even if he was, that would never fly. We're talking about a guy that switches off everything but his freezer when he goes to work. I couldn't convince him to use a better router than he does, because it'd eat an additional 25W of power.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, bottom line is: this should've been a server config option. It's not, which is why I'm raising a fuss.

It would be nice to have it implemented. If not, I'll just drop the game at some point, and my father will do the same soon after.

That's pretty much it. I feel we've exhausted the topic, to be honest. I play the game in a certain way, and I'm not going to budge on that. I don't want a workaround, I want a solution. Short of providing that, there's little more to be added I think, and I don't want this to devolve into a shouting match. 🙂

Thank you to all who participated.

Edited by Kadigan KS-b (see edit history)

14 minutes ago, Kadigan KS-b said:

Actually, no. I mentioned that I have the server running on a Linux box.

Which is why I won't do it. Not only does it block me from playing other games, it also forces me to run my personal PC 24/7, at GPU load no less.

The fact that there's no way around this without owning a second copy and paying for power for a second PC is what I have a problem with to begin with.

Boiling about 5k Murky Water. Something like 420~450 minutes. Turning objects into smelted scrap... about 90 minutes per batch, I usually do between 16 and 24 batches in one sitting (split between 4 forges). Yes, I could probably turn it way down, but I don't want to -- these amounts are fun for me.

He is not. And even if he was, that would never fly. We're talking about a guy that switches off everything but his freezer when he goes to work. I couldn't convince him to use a better router than he does, because it'd eat an additional 25W of power.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, bottom line is: this should've been a server config option. It's not, which is why I'm raising a fuss.

It would be nice to have it implemented. If not, I'll just drop the game at some point, and my father will do the same soon after.

That's pretty much it. I feel we've exhausted the topic, to be honest. I play the game in a certain way, and I'm not going to budge on that. I don't want a workaround, I want a solution. Short of providing that, there's little more to be added I think, and I don't want this to devolve into a shouting match. 🙂

Thank you to all who participated.

Add Dad as an admin in your machine. When he is done playing he pushes:

escape

admin thingy

Check god mode

when dad want to play again:

escape admin thingy

uncheck god mode

done. 

While I understand teaching things to Dad can be frustrating it has to be done to do what you want to accomplish.

Your options are to:

add mods to increase processing speed 

teach dad to use multiple fires or multiple cement mixers

teach dad how to check god mode box.

Above are solutions.

Honestly it sounds like you are done playing this game. What you want to have is a weird thing and not wanting to put any effort or compromise into a solution sounds like you have grown tired of playing and that’s cool. Everything gets old.

Edited by Fanatical_Meat (see edit history)