Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
meganoth

meganoth

Right, there is no need for a GUI. That actually would increase the chance for this option greatly I would assume.

18 minutes ago, Kadigan KS-b said:

1) unit tests

2) unit tests

3) can be a CLI switch instead (and not required for the listenserver at all, since it doesn't keep running when nobody is playing)

4) this one would actually require proper testing, to see if it at least doesn't actually break the game somehow

5) can technically be ignored, if defined as "unsupported configuration" (been done before)

Potentially doubling - yeah, okay. Actually doubling? Doubtful. This is a rolling alpha release; most stuff that isn't directly affected could be relegated to bug reports, assuming all that many people actually end up using the option. Consider: the game is expected to run just as if there's a player attached (so most issues are already tested for); if it doesn't in some way rely on client feedback to run, not all that many components should theoretically be affected (and if it does, this would be a sizeable changeset, which puts it outside of scope in a hurry).

Doubling is the upper limit, just 1 more is the lower. I also don't think devs want to add unsupported configurations even if they technically can wash their hands of it. Players tend to ignore such details when they complain.

In what way do unit tests help in writing the code? And unit tests have to be written as well. And considering the state of actual software development who knows whether TFP uses unit tests at all.

meganoth

meganoth

Right, there is no need for a GUI. That actually would increase the chance for this option greatly I would assume.

13 minutes ago, Kadigan KS-b said:

1) unit tests

2) unit tests

3) can be a CLI switch instead (and not required for the listenserver at all, since it doesn't keep running when nobody is playing)

4) this one would actually require proper testing, to see if it at least doesn't actually break the game somehow

5) can technically be ignored, if defined as "unsupported configuration" (been done before)

Potentially doubling - yeah, okay. Actually doubling? Doubtful. This is a rolling alpha release; most stuff that isn't directly affected could be relegated to bug reports, assuming all that many people actually end up using the option. Consider: the game is expected to run just as if there's a player attached (so most issues are already tested for); if it doesn't in some way rely on client feedback to run, not all that many components should theoretically be affected (and if it does, this would be a sizeable changeset, which puts it outside of scope in a hurry).

Doubling is the upper limit, just 1 more is the lower. I also don't think devs want to add unsupported configurations even if they technically can wash their hands of it. Players tend to ignore such details when they complain.