Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
meganoth

meganoth

1 hour ago, Liesel Weppen said:

I think you didn't understand my post completely. ;)

I'm a little ambivalent about this, because

on the one hand i assume that would be an (technically) easy change and easy to add as an option and my general opinion is "if people want to "break" their game, let them do so".

on the other hand the game IS completely unbalanced if time keeps running. So you are requesting a change that is completely against on how the game is supposed to work. But the devs understandably follow a plan on how the game should work and don't care for corner case settings like your request, especially if this change breaks basically everything.

But because this should be a very little change, i assume one of the dev should be able to "implement" this easily in (far) less than 1 hour of work. Pretty sure it's just remove the check that stops the time if no player is online from the source... done... If my assumption is correct, for gods sake simply add that f*cking option. Wasted 3 hours of discussion and probably even more thinking about it for a change that takes only 10 minutes.

Maybe someone can even disassemble the binary, find the correct jump instruction, hex-edit it to "jump not"... could probably work. 🤣

It isn't only about the potential 10 minutes it costs to add such a switch into the game even though it is more like a few hours of work:

1) The dev needs to add the option flag to the code,

2) then add the option to serverconfig.xml,

2a) and make sure the parser for serverconfig.xml recognizes the option

3) then add the option to the GUI (with all the problems of formatting and moving stuff around so it looks good again)

3a) and add the boiler plate code that handles the new GUI option

4) then add a few lines of code that let the timer run on if that flag is set (this step is probably the smallest part in it).

5) Then test that setup, potentially correcting any bugs (which are bound to crop up because with so many steps in so many different parts of the total code base a mistake or omission is very likely)

It is also about the GUI real estate that the option occupies. Most developers want single-page non-scrolling options and not too many tabs. This option potentially competes with lots of other sensible options people were asking for that want to be on that option page

It is also that any option that gets added adds at least one new test case and one mode of operation the devs and testers of the game have to check upon and support. If we look at permutation of options, it even doubles that number.

It is one of the most common misconceptions of non-programmers to underestimate the work necessary to support options.

meganoth

meganoth

on the one hand i assume that would be an (technically) easy change and easy to add as an option and my general opinion is "if people want to "break" their game, let them do so".

on the other hand the game IS completely unbalanced if time keeps running. So you are requesting a change that is completely against on how the game is supposed to work. But the devs understandably follow a plan on how the game should work and don't care for corner case settings like your request, especially if this change breaks basically everything.

But because this should be a very little change, i assume one of the dev should be able to "implement" this easily in (far) less than 1 hour of work. Pretty sure it's just remove the check that stops the time if no player is online from the source... done... If my assumption is correct, for gods sake simply add that f*cking option. Wasted 3 hours of discussion and probably even more thinking about it for a change that takes only 10 minutes.

Maybe someone can even disassemble the binary, find the correct jump instruction, hex-edit it to "jump not"... could probably work. 🤣

It isn't only about the potential 10 minutes it costs to add such a switch into the game even though it is more like a few hours of work:

3) then add the option to the GUI (with all the problems of formatting and moving stuff around so it looks good again)

3a) and add the boiler plate code that handles the new GUI option

4) then add a few lines of code that let the timer run on if that flag is set (this step is probably the smallest part in it).

5) Then test that setup, potentially correcting any bugs

It is also about the GUI real estate that the option occupies. Most developers want single-page non-scrolling options and not too many tabs. This option potentially competes with lots of other sensible options people were asking for that want to be on that option page

It is also that any option that gets added adds at least one new test case and one mode of operation the devs and testers of the game have to check upon and support. If we look at permutation of options, it even doubles that number.

It is one of the most common misconceptions of non-programmers to underestimate the work necessary to support options.

meganoth

meganoth

meganoth

meganoth

3) then add the option to the GUI,

meganoth

meganoth

It isn't only about the potential 10 minutes it costs to add such a switch into the game even though it is more like half a days work:

meganoth

meganoth

44 minutes ago, Liesel Weppen said:

It isn't only about the potential 10 minutes it costs to add such a switch into the game even though it is more like half a days work: