Jump to content

Are there good reasons to use high block damage explosives?


Recommended Posts

Since people have been talking about mining as of late, it’s gotten me wondering if using stuff like dynamite and HE rockets is ever a good move given they completely destroy the blocks/resources they come in contact with.

I know while POIs and their associated chunks regenerate when you accept a quest for them, but that’s the only way blocks regen as far as i know, so blasting hunks out of the environment would permanently remove those resources from your world. Given that, what, if any, benefit would those blasts serve? Is it just a terrible idea or is there a reason to do it other than playing with voxels?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ShellHead said:

Since people have been talking about mining as of late, it’s gotten me wondering if using stuff like dynamite and HE rockets is ever a good move given they completely destroy the blocks/resources they come in contact with.

I know while POIs and their associated chunks regenerate when you accept a quest for them, but that’s the only way blocks regen as far as i know, so blasting hunks out of the environment would permanently remove those resources from your world. Given that, what, if any, benefit would those blasts serve? Is it just a terrible idea or is there a reason to do it other than playing with voxels?

For example. I was running out first aid bandage and there was a lot of soliders ferals etc it was late and my pickaxe was broken , so my i just blow up a hole to get out from bunker. another situation. I get quest elimanante all zombie from POI . i was looking everywhere and again it was late. So i just blow up a bulding and vulture somehow flew away , i kill it and go back to my base. so it is useful sometimes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ShellHead said:

Escape tool is reasonable, and because that usually happens in POIs it won’t do irrevocable damage.

not sure what other situations outside of that though.

Most of them conected with PVP blowing someone base or just trolling purpouse

  • Have a Cookie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's plenty of uses, the cost is just a tad high.

 

- Need to excavate an underground garage? Dig a few holes, place a few tnt, clean up a bit.

- Need a tunnel to bedrock? Keep dropping some dynamite, you'll get there. And a few screamer waves for entertainment.

 

- Want that apartment building to stop blocking your sunsets? Nothing more satisfying than a controlled explosion taking out the bottom floor from below.

 

- Zombies breached your perimeter wall? With a couple of rockets you can turn that section of the wall into a moat. Will work with dynamite too. Might not plug the breach, but at least it was bloody entertaining.

- Not entirely sure if your horde bridge setup is going to work? Pre-place a few explosives, if it doesn't work, you can remove the error and the threat in one go.

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, ShellHead said:

Since people have been talking about mining as of late, it’s gotten me wondering if using stuff like dynamite and HE rockets is ever a good move given they completely destroy the blocks/resources they come in contact with.

I know while POIs and their associated chunks regenerate when you accept a quest for them, but that’s the only way blocks regen as far as i know, so blasting hunks out of the environment would permanently remove those resources from your world. Given that, what, if any, benefit would those blasts serve? Is it just a terrible idea or is there a reason to do it other than playing with voxels?

 

Blasting hunks out of the environment can serve constructive purposes, too.  My ultimate A19 base was designed around a giant pit to cause (partial) fall damage to all non-flying zombies when they fall into it trying to reach me.  It would’ve taken forever to mine a hole that big, even with an auger.  So I experimented with where to arrange the blasting holes and how many units of dynamite to use per hole to blast out the shape I wanted with maximize efficiency.  I didn’t care about the resources.  All that was lost in the blasting was clay soil and stone, which are everywhere.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, canadianbluebeer said:

It's just plain fun to blow stuff up?

 

Hold my beer....

 

😛

 

I agree! I actually like having all explosives do much more block damage than they do by default today.  I want to have to really determine if I want or need to use an explosive, and if I’m at my base I better not miss (or not have the resources to repair the damage done).  And it’s very satisfying to have “low damage” explosives still do block damage, like shooting exploding arrows and having all the windows/curtains blow out and wood get damaged. , and “high damage” explosives be in your tool belt and having to maneuver to a position/area where you can actually use them without destroying everything you want to keep.

 

and, my personal favorite: shooting/throwing them into upper poi windows and tearing all sorts of things up, then go in and loot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

True enough.  There's probably no more action-oriented way to showcase the 100%* destructible voxel world than with explosives.  Ideally the gameplay should be designed to take full advantage of the underlying tech the game has (it's why I continue to advocate for a return of procedural caves).

 

In fairness to the OP, though, they did say a reason other than playing with voxels.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, blowing stuff up in voxel is super fun!

i’m just thinking about it from a minmax perspective because i play too many rpgs.

Was concerned that gleefully blowing things up would burn out resources, but it doesn’t really seem like that is too much of a problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I play on a map with freeways.  So, if I need to blast tunnels, and remove terrain to create off ramps I would consider it. 

 

If I don't need the stone for more concrete for more freeway...

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the block damaging explosives were intended to be a PvP tool. You can use them to remove terrain or stairs, but you obviously have very limited control of the damage done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/9/2021 at 10:27 AM, Kandrathe said:

I play on a map with freeways.  So, if I need to blast tunnels, and remove terrain to create off ramps I would consider it. 

 

If I don't need the stone for more concrete for more freeway...

 

I'd like to see a screenshot of that please and thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Axonius said:

I think the block damaging explosives were intended to be a PvP tool. You can use them to remove terrain or stairs, but you obviously have very limited control of the damage done.

I don't play PvP myself, but as I was reading this thread, I was actually imagining that one could blow up the ground around and under

an opposing base, then letting the SI (gravity) do what it does... kind of an attrition tactic...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, 12pack said:

I don't play PvP myself, but as I was reading this thread, I was actually imagining that one could blow up the ground around and under

an opposing base, then letting the SI (gravity) do what it does... kind of an attrition tactic...

 

Technically yes, though if they have a land claim block down at their base it can be a bit time consuming to blast out the necessary undermine to collapse the base. That's barring them having bunkered at bedrock. If they've done that then there is no way to undermine the base.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, hiemfire said:

Technically yes, though if they have a land claim block down at their base it can be a bit time consuming to blast out the necessary undermine to collapse the base. That's barring them having bunkered at bedrock. If they've done that then there is no way to undermine the base.

Makes sense..

maybe if there were some lava to dump on them...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, 12pack said:

Makes sense..

maybe if there were some lava to dump on them...

A bucket of water or two placed in the right location depending on if it glitches in the right way or not means flooding the base could be a thing. 7D2D is a bit mean with its swimming "mechanics" for the player.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...