Is a boat just as good as helicopter in Zombie Apocalypse?

Melita

So a friend of mine was excited that his wife decided to take helicopter pilot training. When I asked him why .. he said "That way we can escape easier when the zombie apocalypse happens."

I told him that he should have no fear because I have boats and we can easily escape using them. we got into a whole discussion about which would be better.. I decided to put it to forum.

what do you think?

Moderator note: This was actually a spam account and has been handled, but we're leaving it open for the sake of the earnest discussion that followed.

Edited by Crater Creator (see edit history)

Boat is better. 

Reasons:

- can use less gas = less resources

- can hold more items

- can travel farther ( in theory you could cross continents)

- for basic use, requires little to no training

- crashes are likely not fatal

- you can drop anchor and sleep/eat/cook/read/relax

- can use oars/sails and be “silent”, especially if wanting to travel at night. Mostly probably to move without needing seen by people.

- you can tie boats together and have floating islands. Multiple escape boats, etc

- boats will likely be everywhere for the taking once a lot of people have died. You can likely get to an abandoned boat and pull it out into the water to loot/reclaim/siphon fuel/etc.

- you can fish from a boat, generate food.

- “anyone” can afford a boat, at least for “escape” purposes of “drive the boat from the house/city to the water”. But not for “long term living”

of course, this is a rosy boat outlook.  If you’re “in the sea” vs “freshwater lake” you’ll have more challenges. But, the benefits from a chopper are:

- can cover a lot of land/ground area, to scout for food/supplies.

- less likely to be attacked by pirates (but you can be shot at from the ground).

- can rescue people easier on land.

Given the above, a chopper is great if you need to get to a nice big abandoned boat you can then live on. 

Edit: I’ve been on small boats, never owned one. I’m not part of Big Boat trying to keep Big Chopper down or anything.

secondary edit: 

- boat is cheaper to store and maintain to prep for zed end times. Boat can be wintered and “ready” by someone with little boat knowledge.

- repair/parts for boats are more likely to exist/be found/available. If parts cannot be found, you can possibly cobble something together or go without.

- if you see other survivors, you can likely shout to them and communicate whilst on your boat.

- if bandits are shooting at you from land, you’re likely to be able to repair your boat.

tertiary edit:

- if you have a family, and pets . you’re more likely to fit them all on a boat.

- if you have family, and they need to go to the bathroom, they can just do this over the side of the boat, even while you are driving.

- there are likely to be more opportunities to charge handheld devices while on a boat, so your family is more likely to shut up and stop complaining about boat life. Additionally, you might be able to get a PC on board and play 7D2D while on the boat (multiplayer co-op with family).

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

Both have advantages and disadvantages I guess but I would prefer a boat (Biased, live on an island :) ). I think anchoring in deep water I would be able to sleep better. Until zombies learn how to climb up the anchor line and kill me in my sleep.

Edited by Gamida
stupid spelling mistake (see edit history)

27 minutes ago, Boidster said:

Wow, we truly do live in "the future!" A modern, high-tech utopia where we can harness infinite renewable energy to move across the water. I'm glad I lived to see it.

They even make wind based ones, too!

Square Rigs for Small Boats - Small Boats Magazine

Solarboat's are nice but a combination of solar and wind would be better.

spacer.png

Back to the topic.

Boat with Gyrocopter.

Helicopter is pretty complex, harder to maintain and if you use a modern one, you won't get replacements for broken electronic.

At the first time a big heli could have advance since he can explore overland much better, while a boat is limited to the water area.

An bigger Airship with hydrogen, would be my alternative.

13 hours ago, Maharin said:

Seems like science fiction to me. Possibly near future tech.

6 hours ago, Canute said:

An bigger Airship with hydrogen, would be my alternative.

Now you've done it. You've attracted the attention of @Aldranon. Fly you fools!

3 minutes ago, Roland said:

Seems like science fiction to me. Possibly near future tech.

Now you've done it. You've attracted the attention of @Aldranon. Fly you fools!

Too late, old man. 

Bubu the bear and his flying assault team are ready to jump/zipline into hostile territory!

Need I say, things go sideways and in every other direction when they're disappointed.

All they want, is to be treated with a little respect that 800 pounds of sheading claws and tearing teeth deserve.

They are marching in the middle of the freeway with signs that say: "Bears are people too!"  

Anyone want to tell them they're wrong?  About anything?

Lets make this nice and easy. Slowly pull out the airships and give them (slowly) to the bears.

On 5/3/2021 at 7:06 PM, Maharin said:

Square Rigs for Small Boats - Small Boats Magazine

🤨

rowboat.thumb.jpg.ee31a8bbb922ea38ac9db1344a926ebc.jpg

Nope, don't believe you 😛

SHARK_001_2000x.jpg?v=1575602683

So much for boats.  Maybe a deep hole in the ground 😛

4 hours ago, Maharin said:

Don't zombie sharks just want fish brains?

This is a burning question.  Much research must be undertaken.

pngtree-mobile-interface-progress-bar-image_1475827.jpg.8c90c346c6149548393917d08ff707b5.jpg

Nope, but they do seem to like limbs.  Arms, legs, anything that can be removed with much screaming to follow.

spacer.png

It's a pity, I didn't have time to read the story that the topicstarter wrote here. This discussion is very interesting, however, if this is a spam account, then this whole story is just a fake. In general, in both cases, a bit of a pity.

4 hours ago, Urban Blackbear said:

I'll take boats too. Boats float on the water, helicopters fly by throwing themselves away from the ground.

No, no.  You have that backwards.  The key to flying is throwing yourself at the ground... and missing.