starter perks

starscream

If I'm playing solo I take Archery since I prefer ranged combat and use a bow/crossbow well into mid-game. Also take Animal Tracker so meat is never an issue and I can keep my surroundings entirely chicken free. Dirty birds. The other two points might go into Pummel Pete, Miner 69er, Mother Lode, Master Chef, or Javelin Master depending on my mood. If I don't take Master Chef in the first set of 4, I usually have it within one or two levels. I try to get Bacon & Eggs going early and then rely on found recipes after that.

If I'm co-op, then the way our 2-person team breaks down I almost always get Archery, Miner 69er, Mother Lode, and Master Chef. He gets Animal Tracker and I cook all the stuff. I'm the miner of the team so I break a lot of rocks.

Sex Rex is under-appreciated in my play style. Only in my most recent game did I ever put more than 1 point into it. I should give it more respect.

T-Rex even 1 point help you to do more with your stamina.

Living of the Land, to cook beacon with eggs (and tea)

Miner 69, even when you don't want to mine mainly, you allways need to do some mining/woodcuting and this help at the beginning.

For me it's always TRex because stamina is a useful thing during whole gametime also lategame, but especially for the first days/weeks.

Rest goes into the weapon type I chose and the corresponding main stat.

Miner69er for stone-axe damage. I use that even late game for all "casual-stuff") because it hits fast and has more or less no stamina drain. 

I don't spend a single point into pack mule, I always get lucky to find (or can craft) enough pocket mods relatively early.

Anyways I'm not the guy who fills his packpack with all the stuff I find just because it will become useful sometime later (ends up just stacking in my crates forever anyway),

so being encumbered is mostly no problem for me.

As i like to be fast/agile I like the parcours perk, but nothing goes there early game (running shoes and college jackets are almost everywhere, which is sufficient at first)

Concerning food I also seem to get lucky everytime. Looting food cans or stepping on a chicken/rabbit supplies me more than enough (yes you are fast enough to chase and stone-axe a chicken to death with said playstyle) so no need to perk into that part for me.

10 hours ago, Canute said:

Living of the Land, to cook beacon with eggs (and tea)

That would be Master Chef. LotL gives you extra harvests and allows crafting seeds.

1 point into Healing Factor is pretty common for me too. Forgot about that one. Rarely put more than 1 point into it, but when starting out it provides a way to run and hide and (slowly) recover if I get into serious trouble.

Nothing new here: The first four would be sexy rex, cardio, miner, chef.

Except when in MP and someone else volunteers for mining or cooking, in which case the volunteered-for perk or perks are swapped in and from the following order unless also provided by another ally:

archery, engineering, living off the land, iron gut.

Edited by uncle.heavy
Expanded list (see edit history)

Well... everything depends really if I'm playing solo or with a couple of friends. So basically we decide who gets particular skills in the first place in order to share ammo and have a wider range of capabilities on arrival.

So what I choose is solely based on the Warrior difficulty level. 

When I'm playing solo Strength seems to be the most potent with Sexual Tyrannosaurus (so I'm not losing stamina while being in combat, invest like 2 points), Pummel Pete (somehow I prefer club over other melee weapons). I also max out Pain Tolerance as soon as possible (in order to avoid stunts that may easily kill me) in Fortitude, Iron Gut (so I don't have to think about food that much any longer). Grant one point in each Healing Factor and Rule 1:Cardio. Then I go and improve mining. After I'm done with mining skills I choose Lucky Looter in Perception. Later place some perks in Boomstic or Machine Gunner. Then I assign gathered points wherever I want.

Playing with Friends, I make sure that one of the guys has Strenght, Perception. I usually go for Fortitude mainly because of Pain tolerance and Carabines/Assault Rifles. I use a shotgun without buffs only inside POIs, upgrade my knuckles.

Archery (I almost always us them for as long as allowable), Cardio, Iron Gut, Motherlode without fail on SP. Varies wildly with MP, I can play anything so I tend to fill whatever roles need fillin.

Strictly intelligence with our group. I’m responsible for getting forges, workbenches and bicycles for everyone. Usually have all three by day 2 then motorcycles and electricity before day 10. It helps that I enjoy stun batons and turrets too.

1 point in Sex Rex, 1 point in Miner 69er, a second point in Strength, and then a second point into Miner 69er. My goal is to craft level 5 iron tools within the first 4-5 days while having 3/4 Sex Rex, and following that I start focusing on Mother Lode. Sometimes I spend a point into The Huntsman just to shake things up and to help me with food early game. I'm a miner by heart; besides, I treat the mining perks like a band-aid... just rip it off quickly and get it over and done with.

Once A20 eventually hits (I'm taking a break from 7D2D until then) I might try to shake things up by going for a stealth build right off the bat. Should be interesting...

Motherlode, Miner, Sex rex and sledge.  Sometimes 2 in mother, sex rex and miner.  Those extra resources and the ability to cut through walls faster is a must for me.

Surprised so many take chef - I find those perks totally worthless.  Ill find a few recipes and B&E does not actually add that much.  My last playthrough I have almost entirely neglected food, starving is almost irrelevant.  I would estimate I spend about halo my time starving because the debuff is not a big deal early game.  When the zeds start hitting hard enough I have plenty of food.

Now thirst, THAT debuff is terrible,  Good thing water is free :D