Should i buy 7 days to die

Melita

Hello everyone,,

i rly love zombie games and have just seen this on steam, i was wondering wether i should buy it even thought the graphics dnt look the best and it isnt fully released yet,

help is appreciated.

Moderator note: This was actually a spam account and has been handled, but we're leaving it open for the sake of the earnest discussion that followed.

Edited by Crater Creator (see edit history)

If you have a good graphics card, the graphics are actually really good. I have over 6000 hours in this game as it is very, very replayable. Understand that there is no end game so you play until you get bored then start again. There is also a steep learning curve so my advice would be to join a server with helpful players in order to get tips on playing or read any of the posted player guides.

31 minutes ago, Melita said:

Hello everyone,,

i rly love zombie games and have just seen this on steam, i was wondering wether i should buy it even thought the graphics dnt look the best and it isnt fully released yet,

help is appreciated.

in my personal opinion a thousand times yes buy it :)

I'll start by saying that 7D2D is one of my favorite games ever and like Star69 and many others around here I have thousands of hours in it. I have paid full-price for the game twice and I think I got a better deal than the publisher/developer did. You don't even need a great video card to have a lot of fun, in my opinion. My main gaming laptop is pretty good, but I play just fine on a 4GB Radeon 560 with "medium" settings (and in a window).

Whether you will like it, though...well I would say that "liking zombie games" might not be quite enough. I would say that you need to like at least a couple of these game activities:

1) Plot-free, open-world exploration (there is no "main quest" in this game, yet)

2) Survival mechanics, e.g. hunting/foraging for food & water, staying warm/cool in different environments, treating injuries & sickness

3) Crafting & resource acquisition/management (mining, refining ores, crafting tools, weapons, armor, breaking stuff down for raw materials, and so on)

4) Base building & tower defense (including, eventually, gun turrets and such)

5) Of course, fighting zombies

If you like at least a couple/few of those, then 7D2D will be fun for you in its out-of-the-box "vanilla" configuration. Although you can change your play style to avoid any of them, in general you will do all of the above as you prepare for the every-7-days large horde of zombies that will come for you.

Day-to-day, zombies are around and you can go find them in buildings, but you can also mostly avoid them if you want. Every 7 days, though, you cannot avoid them - a big group (getting bigger as you level up) is going to come looking for you at 10PM on Day 7 (and Day 14, 21, etc.) and you need to be ready. That means doing at least a few, and maybe all of the things I listed above.

As Star69 says, there is a learning curve. The game does not hold your hand, but you can get a lot of information here in these forums and, of course, read the in-game Journal!

Hope you decide to try it out! It's a blast.

Edited by Boidster (see edit history)

55 minutes ago, Melita said:

Hello everyone,,

help is appreciated.

I've played off and on since 2016, and I'm at almost 4k hours.  It's the standard I judge all Zombie/open world survival games on, and I've certainly gotten my $20 out of it, unlike a few other of my purchases, lol.

I'd say give it a try, and even if you aren't happy with it now, who knows how A20 or the release after that will change things.

have you planed and enjoyed similar games?

empyreon, ark, subnautica... 7d2d is imo the best of the bunch. but that's also because i'm into zimbie themed games.

the graphics are good but not great. they will never be great.

the combat is... crap. and it will always be ... crap.

the building aspect is probably the best you'll find in any game.

the customization and modding capability is great. it may get even better.

the rp aspect is weak, it's not an rp game. it might get a bit better.

the sound quality is ok. there is room for improvement.

the developers are golden. they may become platinum.

12 minutes ago, starscream said:

the combat is... crap. and it will always be ... crap

Far out in the Pacific Ocean there is a small island where the inhabitants worship the very concept of wrongness. In the center of the island's village, high on a plinth and visible for a mile in any direction, is a statue of you. 😄

Edited by Boidster (see edit history)

If I was paying by the hours of fun I've had with 7D2D it would be about $0.03/hr

I would consider that a wise investment if you ask me. Most AAA games for $60 barely hold my attention for 20hrs these days. 

The game can easily be worth 10 times the money you will likely pay for it considering the number of hours you could have fun while playing it.  Having said that, if you are willing to put in some time and effort you could give yourself another order of magnitude in value by playing the game modded or messing around with modding it yourself.  Modding is part of the fun and expected (one of its biggest selling points in my opinion).  Also consider that the last 10+ versions of the game are available on Steam so you can even go back and get a feel for what the game used to be compared to what it is now.  It's a whole lot of value in a relatively small package and will only become more of a value as time goes on because of modding.

8 hours ago, starscream said:

the combat is... crap. and it will always be ... crap.

7 hours ago, Boidster said:

Far out in the Pacific Ocean there is a small island where the inhabitants worship the very concept of wrongness. In the center of the island's village, high on a plinth and visible for a mile in any direction, is a statue of you. 😄

If he's referring to the melee part of combat, put my statue next to his.😎 

I would love to have some variety there, quick lunges, sideswings, blocking, slamming downside (if you played skyrim you know that I mean).

Just "hit hard or hit normal" feels a bit meh when you imagine to rather being able to smash/ragdoll Zeds into a specific direction (e.g. over the edge of a roof) if you choose the right attack type.

So if you also like games (tekken or alike) it will suck for you.

Hopefully that's getting some love.

The gunning part of combat is already big fun.

The building/creative part is absolutely great.

Freedom/variety of choice how you spend your time / aspects to focus on is the most outstanding aspect in the game I think,

which is already well balanced.

Graphics is a point I don't really care about. 

Yes it will never reach same visual greatness as many other today's games (voxel based game...hardware and game-engines that could manage that simply don't yet exist for "mainstream" desktop PCs). I have it running on my 10year old CPU (i52500K) and a R9 390, with some mid-low settings, (reaching around 70fps at 1920x1080), and I love playing it.

So my opinion:

Buy it, play it, and be part of the community to share the things you like and you don't like.

What was already said, you will at least be heard.

The devs are around here so often that I sometimes think the game would already have gone gold years ago,

if they focused on coding not chatting 🤪.

Seriously: it's brilliant and an outstanding example of the whole "early access" concept!

14 hours ago, Melita said:

Hello everyone,,

help is appreciated.

In contrary to other games on the market 7DTD receives a huge chunk of updates that change the game (in a good way, for so many years). Every Alpha seems like a brand new experience, that's why many players come back to this particular game (not only to bash its Alpha state on the forums 😆). Even more and more players are active according to Steam Charts.

If You have ever played an open-world game with survival elements then the game is dedicated to You. The game is still 🙃 worth a while cuz of a vast variety of features, no matter if some elements do not have a look of an AAA title. Don't judge the book by its cover. Most released games have a huge marketing budget, teasers, trailers, huge media coverage, then charge 60 bucks out of thin air. 7DTD and the studio is at least trying to be honest about the development of 7DTD (where are my bandits devs! 😅).

Graphics and sound design do not represent the overall state of the game. Some of the elements present in the game are just simply placeholders, that are currently used as the grounds for further development of 7DTD. Movement and animations, physics are not the greatest ones in 7DTD, but like anything else with every update brings reworked content. Graphics in high details with SSAO disabled on my R9 3900X and RTX 2070 holds up pretty well at 2560x1080.

7DTD shines online with friends who don't have a clue how to play the game. Unexpected hilarious moments guaranteed.

I'm playing recently a lot also - Company of Heroes 2 (RTS), Battlefield 4 (FPS) with the same buddies for years, and I must say that 7DTD is a masterpiece in its own category. Is it worth the time and money spent - without a shadow of a doubt.

8 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

would love to have some variety there, quick lunges, sideswings, blocking, slamming downside (if you played skyrim you know that I mean).

Just "hit hard or hit normal" feels a bit meh when you imagine to rather being able to smash/ragdoll Zeds into a specific direction

Yeah, I agree with this. This would be very satisfying and also kinda add another “certain type of player” to the game who wants to feel like chuck norris. I also feel TFP would not like it because it “complicates” the game and this would frustrate new/casual players BUT I could see a way to pull this off: make default combat with the mouse “as it is today” and if you wanted to do all the special attacks, you have to use special keyboard commmands. Meaning: the casual/new player will never know they can do these things. 

I feel it would add a level of challenge to the veteran players, and would also probably branch  off new game styles (like PvP fight club/arena, fight opponents and then zeds are released. Last person standing, etc).

As mentioned above, given the ragdoll physics already in play, being able to kick and or “shoulder” or elbow or uppercut... anything extra, would just be loads of fun, IMHO, especially when you just have “ a few zeds to fight” and don’t want to do the same ol same ol with the club

I am also wondering when you would be able to push other players. Just curious...I never had the thought of doing it while a teammate was standing on edge of hoardbase with a mass of zombies below. Just standing there...all innocent and unsuspecting.

1 hour ago, Gamida said:

Just curious...I never had the thought of doing it while a teammate was standing on edge of hoardbase with a mass of zombies below. Just standing there...all innocent and unsuspecting.

Note to self: do not party up with Gamida.

3 hours ago, Gamida said:

I am also wondering when you would be able to push other players. Just curious...I never had the thought of doing it while a teammate was standing on edge of hoardbase with a mass of zombies below. Just standing there...all innocent and unsuspecting.

Or a few pipe bombs, or is it TnT that blows the ground away?   Yeah, we need a kinetic force element other then the junk sledge as Gazz so helpfully mentioned.

Note to self, don't party with Gamida or Gazz.  :D

Best realistic/adult theme voxel game on the market.  Definitely worth it, especially when its on sale like right now.

What keeps me hooked are the voxel building (survival and in the editor) and the tower defense + RPG elements.

7D2D IMO is the best  zombie game out there!!  I have been playing since Alpha 16, and have close to 4000 hours into the game.  The Fun Pimps have 

been doing a great job on the development of the game and I have only one more thing to say.  Don't miss out on buying this game!!!!!

15 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

If he's referring to the melee part of combat, put my statue next to his.😎 

melee is the main culprit, but ranged is pretty bad as well, though not as bad. the zombie ranged attackers can see you behind hatches and barf at you from the back of their heads while facing the opposite direction with 360 no-scope accuracy from maximum range. when bandits armed with firearms are introduced, it's probably going to get worse. and it will never be at the same level of quality as a dedicated FPS.

melee is just bland... step in swing, step out. run in swing hard, run out. no dodges, no blocks, no counters, no slides, no grapples etc. and even though this is less of a problem than it used to be, you do still get multiple zombie bodies squeezed into a space that should only fit 1.

and i get it, that kind of combat is not the focus of this game and that's why i mentioned that it will always be crap and if that's an important factor for you, then you shouldn't buy this game.

11 minutes ago, starscream said:

melee is the main culprit, but ranged is pretty bad as well, though not as bad. the zombie ranged attackers can see you behind hatches and barf at you from the back of their heads while facing the opposite direction with 360 no-scope accuracy from maximum range. when bandits armed with firearms are introduced, it's probably going to get worse. and it will never be at the same level of quality as a dedicated FPS.

melee is just bland... step in swing, step out. run in swing hard, run out. no dodges, no blocks, no counters, no slides, no grapples etc. and even though this is less of a problem than it used to be, you do still get multiple zombie bodies squeezed into a space that should only fit 1.

and i get it, that kind of combat is not the focus of this game and that's why i mentioned that it will always be crap and if that's an important factor for you, then you shouldn't buy this game.

Perhaps this is where the beauty of 7DTD lies. I played a triple-A title once with a great combat system, beautiful graphics, game developed (that You probably described) by the studio in Eastern Europe, where I was born, but I won't mention the title specifically in the forum - zombie apocalypse game. I played several hours and uninstalled it - simply wasn't for me, seemed simply to blend, even though I haven`t seen all the features. Honestly, complex melee close combat is not of my interest, even though I would like to see more stuff in 7DTD in this regard. If it matters for anyone else, then please turn to the devs. I turned to the forum community and a certain spectrum of the things mentioned by me have been actually implemented (I'm not making this up).