Support for powered items to have 2 or more switches

Shinkun

I've tried to make a mod for this myself for a while now, however the usual way of making modlets doesn't allow this and the way I used wasn't the best.

Essentially what I'm running into with builds is that if I want to have a powered door it can only be activated with one switch or motion sensor, which means that I can't for example make a garage door that will open automatically from both sides.
Now because of having done said "not best way" I know why this isn't currently a possibility, however programmatically I have seen it done in what I think is an efficient manner before.
I won't state any of it here to avoid violating rules but if TheFunPimps read this feel free to reach out.
That said I'm sure if you do decide to implement it you'll find a better way than amateur programmer me :)

And to other members of the forum, did you ever run into this problem?
A light you want to switch from multiple places, or something similar?

If so please post about it below I hope this isn't just me being petty :3

Actually, you can setup a garage door to open by switches or cameras on both sides.  You have to wire it like this:  Power Source - Switch 1 - Switch 2 - Door.

I did it on my last playthrough (Power source - Trigger plate - Camera - Door).

46 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Actually, you can setup a garage door to open by switches or cameras on both sides.  You have to wire it like this:  Power Source - Switch 1 - Switch 2 - Door.

I did it on my last playthrough (Power source - Trigger plate - Camera - Door).

Well then.. that explains why no one complained about it ^^'

I suppose it was my pettiness then, I never tried because engineer brain went "no, switches in series don't work like that".

Thanks I'll check it out.

EDIT: okay so this works with motion sensors/pressure plates but not switches.
that's fair though the switches in the game are obviously meant to completely 
disconnect power to something.

Not sure I should remove the suggestion then? 

Edited by Shinkun
Further information (see edit history)

Not sure switches would even be usefull. Lets assume I put switches on both sides of a door. I turn switch 1 to enter the door. Now I can't close the door with switch 2 (which is still in the off-position, I would need to turn off switch 1 instead.

3 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Not sure switches would even be usefull.

In german there is a difference between "Schalter" and "Taster". Don't know if there are separate english words with similar meaning. Maybe switch vs trigger?

Schalter: you choose between on and off. Whatever position you put it, it stays in this position.

Taster: only triggers while being pressed. if you release it, it always returns to its default state.

A switch is a switch... however a trigger plate or motion sensors are only triggers (atleast in the game).

Since it's used for a garage door, it usually has a default state "closed". So when plate or motion sensor is triggered, it just opens. If it's not triggered anymore, it closes the door again (with a little delay).

Besides it is already a weird logic to put triggers in a row, if you want to switch a door by two switches and the door should stay open or closed, this "switches in a row" logic becomes even weirder. If it works depends on how this "(un)logic" is implemented.

If a switch has a magical power source when turned on even if there is no active connection to a power source (although there is an inactive connection to a power source), it won't work with switches but with triggers.
If the "logic" is that a switch turns on all previous switches when activated and/or a switch turns off all behind switches when deactivated, it may also work with switches.

Imho either this weird "logic" should be either removed and then it is simply not possible to build double-switches or the mechanic should be changed to allow multiple connections and so double switches can be built by logic without any magic.