ok ill start it - instant travel. good or bad.

NukemDed

saw a reference in a conversation about an old topic on  instant travel. i must have missed that one.

so what do folks reckon now?

personally i would pass on this one. would rather effort was spent on an in game stereo system that played your nominated spotify playlist...

1 hour ago, NukemDed said:

so what do folks reckon now?

What has changed? Imho instant travel is immersion breaking, especially as it still does not fit in the lore (in opposite to e.g. a space game where they may have teleporters).

1 hour ago, NukemDed said:

personally i would pass on this one. would rather effort was spent on an in game stereo system that played your nominated spotify playlist...

Your playing on a computer. Just let spotify run in the background (and turn off ingame music)?

Fast travel is really only necessary for games that only have walking / running to your next location as your only options (i.e. Fallout 3 / Fallout 4 - though 4 you can get smoke grenades and align yourself with the BoS to travel via flight between locations).

7D2D has vehicles that allow you to travel between locations.  Since the game provides multiple modes of transport, fast travel is not necessary

While I don't find traveling a burden, I'm not opposed to fast travel. Some games do it well (Black Desert, RDR2, etc) and some games do it poorly like Bethesda games where you just pop up at the location with your horse or whirlybird. What the problem is with 7D2D is time management which is meant to be part of the challenge. I kind of like the auto-path methods but I don't think the roads are good enough for AI pathing. We've all seen 200 meter paved cliffs.

2 hours ago, bachgaman said:

Just need to make cars as fast as they are in real life, not slow 15 kilometers per hour as it is now

That will not happen because a minimum specs system can't load data fast enough and they would  hit an invisible generation wall or would even fall through unloaded parts. As an option with a warning though, who knows.

The only possible instant fast travel that I would agree on is one from trader to trader unlocked after finishing Tier V quests and for a price. Like 1000 or 2000 dukes per km, so a 2km distance would cost like 4000 dukes for those with lazy legs/pedals. 8kx8k maps and avobe can sometimes ve a chore to ride 4 times in a row doing nothing but wasting fuel. 

for me... no for fast travel... i like for game to stay 7dtd not an off spring of others...

faster vehicles... we tried and so has modders (and still some are doing it now) but speeds from vehicle are capable of bricking the game because of overhead calculations that has to be checked stored on sec to sec bases and people will see the big lag spikes worse then we have now. thats why the speeds were reduced.

voxels need to be constantly watched by game and unfortunately some limitations atm. i enjoy destroy-able voxels... its why i bought into the game so i rather not lose them to just add other things that may cause worse... but thats only my opinion :)

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

That will not happen because a minimum specs system can't load data fast enough and they would  hit an invisible generation wall or would even fall through unloaded parts. As an option with a warning though, who knows.

It's not only a technical limitation, it's also a balancing issue.

It's not a big deal to cross a whole 8K map with a motorcycle in just 10-15min realtime. That is approximately 60kph realtime, related to ingame time (assuming 1h/day) it's just 1.5kph... but according to ingame time realted 60km/h you could cross a whole 8K map in just 8 ingame minutes  == 20 realtime seconds.

So the movement speed is just fine related to ingame distances. More realistic speed for vehicles (realted to walking speed) only makes sense if we'd play on much much larger maps like 100k or whatever.

If 7 didn't have vehicles, then I would be ok with fast travel in between discovered traders for a cost. 
There wouldn't need to be magic involved.
There could be a cutscene of someone dropping you off.
However, 7 does have vehicles.

Personally, I would be ok with no vehicles, or back to where it was just a minibike... whether this would be to bring in fast travel or not.
I feel like vehicles have caused more harm than good.

Because of vehicles, devs have to:

• come up with crazy ways to prevent them being an anti-horde device.
  • figure out ways to prevent early discovery and crafting so that the game lasts a decent amount of time.
  • deal with people wanting more vehicles.
  • figure out how to make things load in fast enough to match the speed of better vehicles.
  • develop systems so that enemies damage, be damaged by, or evade vehicles.
  • be extra mindful in the random map generation as to create worlds where vehicle traversal is impossible or nearly impossible.
  • create silly systems to help players because their vehicles got stuck or sunk in water, such as fitting them in inventories.

There will be more once bandits are added into the picture.

23 minutes ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

If 7 didn't have vehicles, then I would be ok with fast travel in between discovered traders for a cost. 

Personally, I would be ok with no vehicles, or back to where it was just a minibike... whether this would be to bring in fast travel or not.

• figure out ways to prevent early discovery and crafting so that the game lasts a decent amount of time.
  • figure out how to make things load in fast enough to match the speed of better vehicles.
  • be extra mindful in the random map generation as to create worlds where vehicle traversal is impossible or nearly impossible.
  • create silly systems to help players because their vehicles got stuck or sunk in water, such as fitting them in inventories.

Vehicles, as you say, have to be like that for a reason. They are well designed to be convenient and not OP. Maps are intended to be like a Walking Dead urban-country side environment, so of course they have to have some basic road network. I'm not opposed to faster vehicles as an option in the menu for larger than 8k maps in the future.

Costly and limited  fast travel between traders can save precious time late game. I don't know about you, but we will eventually have to travel 8+ km from trader to trader (10k x 10k maps in a20 ) which can take 8-15 minutes and that is a huge waste of time in a game in which every second counts. And if you have a common playstyle with 1 base and you are not a nomad then you might see the problem here. Time management for a hefty cost is ok for me. Only in that case though. Any other fast travel is just a cheap blow.

Fast travel between traders might be okay as long as you can't take any metal with you.... ;)

On a serious note, TFP is hopefully still planning to implement the random encounter system which could make traveling over land result in interesting encounters and situations. Fast travel would negate all of that design. I'm really against fast travel personally. Those who want it can just use the teleport function.

7 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Imho instant travel is immersion breaking,.

How is that? Teleporting to a distant trader to replenish my supply of scrolls of turn undead and some for charm animal, to be on the safe side.

Wait, is this the 7 d....? Erm, no, no way, thank you not.

Absolutely against fast travel in an open world survival game. I don't want to see it added to 7 days. I'm sure this can be easily added with mods. 

My priority list:
1) Better loot/difficulty curve

2) More zombie differences (height maybe change between zombies and clothes?)
3) Better RWG (faster with better roads, and more options like nitrogen)
4) Better optimization for larger groups of zombies. 

I'm aware they are adding other things, but fast travel would be negative to see added by default for me. This game is super modable, I hope you find a way to make this work for you. 

10 hours ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

Lots of great points.  Is there a mod to teleport players to certain coordinates?  Vehicles can already be modded out so that would make for an interesting combo.

Just now, Laz Man said:

Lots of great points.  Is there a mod to teleport players to certain coordinates?  Vehicles can already be modded out so that would make for an interesting combo.

Driving noisy vehicles should generate the heat map up significantly as well.

I have not read through all the responses to the OP, as, my thoughts are concrete. Why miss out on the experience, both literally and visually.

So for me, instant travel is a big bad NO, especially with this particular game, where, being in the world "real time" is part of the experience/fun.

As for the Spotify list. I personally turn music off completely and use about a 10% ambient level. I just don't see real high survival levels if I got some tunes blasting my eardrums. This game is totally visual and audio-centric, so, your survival really depends on line of sight and audio queues.

I'll pass on both the instant travel and Spotify playlists thank-you, sorry to burst any bubbles, but that's just me. Hope you like being devoured by zeds as Duran Duran assaults yer eardrums.

Edited by bigstep70 (see edit history)

Here's another thing. If fast travel existed in 7, would the amount of time it would take to travel still go by?

I think it's only fair, not to mention silly if it didn't.
Then if that is the case, which it rightfully should be, then it kills the time management argument anyway, no?

EDIT: I originally said "to travel on foot", but that made no sense.

31 minutes ago, bigstep70 said:

Hope you like being devoured by zeds as Duran Duran assaults yer eardrums.

First thing to come to mind was hearing a howl and then this triggers:

Edited by AtomicUs5000 (see edit history)

when the games base genre is survival and half of the risk in playing is travel, I don't see how this even up for discussion.

now make a mod that has a heavy story element and hand built locations, then ya I can get behind it. travel gets in the way of the story in some cases.

In the base vanilla game, surviving on your way places is a huge part of the story, so I wouldn't like it. 

Save it for mods

4 hours ago, bigstep70 said:

I have not read through all the responses to the OP, as, my thoughts are concrete. Why miss out on the experience, both literally and visually.

So for me, instant travel is a big bad NO, especially with this particular game, where, being in the world "real time" is part of the experience/fun.

As for the Spotify list. I personally turn music off completely and use about a 10% ambient level. I just don't see real high survival levels if I got some tunes blasting my eardrums. This game is totally visual and audio-centric, so, your survival really depends on line of sight and audio queues.

I'll pass on both the instant travel and Spotify playlists thank-you, sorry to burst any bubbles, but that's just me. Hope you like being devoured by zeds as Duran Duran assaults yer eardrums.

believe me, if i had to listen to duran duran id want to die

i was thinking an in game stereo super system

radio for in home base for ambient music - and a lot of time is spent crafting, getting a beer, building, texting organising the nect fishing trip and all sorts of family maintenance tasks

plus

car stereo mod to listen while driving - and a lot of time is spent driving by many

plus

headphones for when mining, or running - and a lot of time is spent mining and or running by many

plus

many cool ideas that others come up with

my main idea is you can adjust volumes in specific settings, and have it quiet when elements are deliberately absent. jump out the car and it is quiet. you get the drift

1 hour ago, warmer said:

when the games base genre is survival and half of the risk in playing is travel, I don't see how this even up for discussion.

just interested in the current feeling is all. im surprised by the number of responses tbh