Almost 1 year since the last "major" update

TheBus4K

4 hours ago, meganoth said:

Pipelining means that the game designers already work on a new project when their tasks on the older project are practically finished. In the next phase graphics artists for example change over when everything has been drawn that will be used in the older project. Meanwhile programmers and some other people like level designers still finish up the older project and mainly fix bugs or polish balance.

This is exactly the model that is occuring.

On 4/19/2021 at 4:19 PM, Roland said:

If there are in your estimation inexcusable omissions in the game such that you leap to the conclusion that the devs are lazy and that assumption leads to you feeling upset in any degree and ruins your appreciation for the game then refrain from logging in until you get the notification that it is out of early access.

It is laziness though. If you've ever worked with a person who felt that the job he or she was doing was "good enough" despite not being done well, then you know about what we're dealing with here. The fact that the quest location names haven't been corrected doesn't ruin the game, but it does communicate very clearly that the development team really does not care. New animations are obviously significantly more complicated, so the art team could be excused for not having addressed missing attack animations... If not for the fact that they just spent time creating an HD model that nobody asked for.

Not going to quote your whole post, but I never made any insinuations about them being greedy or malicious with their earnings. Curious that you would bring it up. And as for social media, Facebook is for boomers and Reddit is for young men with debilitatingly low testosterone levels. So having said that, my occasional criticisms will be posted here exclusively. 

Hopefully after my next year-long break from the game, we'll see a little more effort and new content aside from localization and zombie model edits. 

On 4/20/2021 at 11:19 PM, 7daysexpert said:

would you rather have a good quality update that takes a year or a meh update that takes 6 months unless you understand programming and coding  you really dont know what your talking about it is alot harder than you realize

If I had a nickel for every time I've read something like this, I could buy a copy of this game for a dozen of my friends so they could all criticize it here with me. 

I purchased this game a couple years back and haven't seen significant changes. Maybe just a couple more years though!!

Edited by Yark (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Yark said:

It is laziness though. If you've ever worked with a person who felt that the job he or she was doing was "good enough" despite not being done well, then you know about what we're dealing with here. The fact that the quest location names haven't been corrected doesn't ruin the game, but it does communicate very clearly that the development team really does not care. ...

The quest location names show that this is unfinished software in development (in contrast to a service game for example). Unfinished features, unbalanced parts and bugs, that is EA (Early Access). Because with EA you can peek into development. But you don't decide the priorities

If you could play games from AAA companies before release you would see exactly the same or worse unfinished heap of software. Oh wait, just look at cyberpunk 2077 for a recent game that shows how a game might look in a state of development. Sure, that doesn't count as an excuse when a game was released, but THIS game is not released yet.

Whether you like that or not, whether you blame the rules of EA generally or TFP specifically for this, I don't see it likely that the devs will change their development model for you. I also don't think there will be any change in development speed as the only way to do so would be to hire lots of people, half of them for speeding up development and the other half to make up for the delay of getting all of them up to speed on the code. In software development this is done only in emergency situations.

I'm pretty sure you will still not be pleased by the progress when you come back in a year. Maybe you can even just copy your current complaint post and repost it verbatim. 😉

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Yark said:

It is laziness though.

No, really, it isn't.  You're like the person that wants to criticize someone halfway through doing their job that they didn't do it the way you wanted them to and that they're not done yet... and you're not even their boss.  It's an early access game and you knew the risk and what to expect before you pressed the purchase button.  You have access to a lot of alphas so go back and play one released before you started playing to get the feel of a different game.

2 hours ago, Yark said:

I purchased this game a couple years back and haven't seen significant changes.

If you haven't seen significant changes then quite frankly you're blind or lying. The game underwent a huge change with A19.

3 hours ago, Yark said:

we'll see a little more effort and new content aside from localization and zombie model edits

So you're complaining about localization not being done with quest location names and also complaining that they're doing too much localization work? Ok then..... troll detected.

11 hours ago, Yark said:

If you've ever worked with a person who felt that the job he or she was doing was "good enough" despite not being done well, then you know about what we're dealing with here

I have and I know exactly the attitude you are talking about. TFP don't fit that. They never claimed that the localization was all done and good enough. If they leave it the way it is once they are done then I will be right there with you calling them on it. But I know they won't. There used to to be a lot more of these cases and slowly but surely they are changing them over. Game is still in development and nobody has said, "Okay Old_house_3 is what its gonna be cuz that's good enough!"

11 hours ago, Yark said:

New animations are obviously significantly more complicated, so the art team could be excused for not having addressed missing attack animations... If not for the fact that they just spent time creating an HD model that nobody asked for.

Brett is not the same guy who does animations. His work on the cop model in no way shape or form delayed animations nor was it work done instead of animations. The programmer who would add attack animations was surely doing something else instead but there is zero correlation between the Cop model and lack of attack animations in the game. In addition, somebody did ask for the HD model. Brett doesn't work for free so he was hired, asked, and paid by the owners of TFP specifically to do the HD models and he is doing a great job.

But...I'll be sure to let him know you gave him a free pass for not doing something he wasn't hired or expected to do.

11 hours ago, Yark said:

Hopefully after my next year-long break from the game

That might be long enough but no promises. :)

On 4/19/2021 at 3:19 PM, Roland said:

It's not absurd when the announcement of the work completed is from the art team. What is absurd is thinking that the entire TFP team is only working on HD zombie models. There are some working on those, others doing optimizations, others working on fixing bugs, and others working on new features and improvements of existing features. It is true that nobody has as of this writing worked on changing "house_old_3" to "Cooter's place" in the localization files. But somebody will when the time is right. And even though you can't see a picture of optimizations and bug fixes like you can of a new HD zombie model, those things are being worked on by the appropriate members of the team. In the meantime, it is nice to get updates of whatever is being worked on by whoever and since the game is still in development those who don't find the process inexcusable understand that sometimes they might have to read something like "house_old_3" until a member of the staff gets to that job.

Does TFP have any choice now but to name "house_old_3" "Cooter's place"!?   I think not!  🤣