Municipal Building

Deverezieaux

This is a big WIP. It's official, I've lost my mind. I've been wanting to do a municipal, or combo local/state/federal government skyscraper building for a while. Thus I have begun this 12 story (including basements) skyscraper. It will be divided into zones for local, state and federal offices. I'm going to try and use unpainted blocks where possible and not too many complex shapes to keep the memory usage low given the size, while still making it fully dungeonized like all my other prefabs. This will take a while so I may take breaks and do other, smaller prefabs in between.

spacer.png

8 hours ago, Deverezieaux said:

This is a big WIP. It's official, I've lost my mind. I've been wanting to do a municipal, or combo local/state/federal government skyscraper building for a while. Thus I have begun this 12 story (including basements) skyscraper. It will be divided into zones for local, state and federal offices. I'm going to try and use unpainted blocks where possible and not too many complex shapes to keep the memory usage low given the size, while still making it fully dungeonized like all my other prefabs. This will take a while so I may take breaks and do other, smaller prefabs in between.

spacer.png

Brilliant idea 🙂 Good luck and again looks great 🙂

11 minutes ago, Deverezieaux said:

It's coming together much faster than I thought. I'd welcome suggestions for things to include on some of the floors, keeping in mind the government theme.

spacer.png

spacer.png

A data server room maybe being govt.

A small library 

Maybe  a files room also. 

15 hours ago, Deverezieaux said:

It's coming together much faster than I thought. I'd welcome suggestions for things to include on some of the floors, keeping in mind the government theme.

Court room with supporting rooms (clerks, etc)

Licensing offices (inspectors, etc)

City utility offices, etc

Public meeting spaces

Voting clerk Offices, etc

Mayor's office with supporting staff

Not sure if you already thought of these

Thanks for the suggestions gang. So far I've got two courts, a DMV, cafe, data center, boiler room, storage, and am working on legal offices for the courts. I will be doing executive offices, a department of health, and I'm thinking of making one area a holding center. I particularly like the utility office idea and I'll have to think about how to set that up. I've been taking some time to make each of the floors taller.

Edited by Deverezieaux (see edit history)

I need an honest opinion, does this look stupid? I'm trying to come up with a statue or centerpiece for the building lobby, so I put this statue together. I feel like it just looks too corny and abstract and whenever I get that feeling it really breaks the immersion of the game. I'd appreciate feedback, and don't worry about hurting my feelings. Also if anyone has any suggestions on how to use existing assets to make something a bit more convincing I'd appreciate that too.

spacer.png

spacer.png

41 minutes ago, Deverezieaux said:

I need an honest opinion, does this look stupid? I'm trying to come up with a statue or centerpiece for the building lobby, so I put this statue together. I feel like it just looks too corny and abstract and whenever I get that feeling it really breaks the immersion of the game. I'd appreciate feedback, and don't worry about hurting my feelings. Also if anyone has any suggestions on how to use existing assets to make something a bit more convincing I'd appreciate that too.

spacer.png

spacer.png

It could fit in a museum as a piece of art work 😜.

Can only see 1 side is he kneeling

5 minutes ago, Deverezieaux said:

He's standing with one foot up on a pile of rocks. I just don't think I can make a convincing, human looking statue with simple shapes. I may just go with a fountain or something, but I think that would be boring.

Honestly it dont look as bad as you are saying lol. But you have to be happy with it. Keep playing with the different blocks different ways you can use those shapes.  

Can be frustrating. Take a break free the mind and come back and try again til you are happy. I am 100% positive you can create something you are happy with. 

'Modified aragon quote from end battle retirn of the King'

"One day you will quit, but today.  Today is not that day" 

[SUG]: Place stone ore to get the general shape you want. Then grab a stone ax and break it down to "carve it" more precisely.

Pro: Will be able to actually sculpt it pretty well, just using a stone axe (pending ofc on your artistic abilities), and how much time you want to put into it.

Con: If players have a tool in hand (axe, pick, or like), they will see that the stone is already damaged when looking at it up close.

Pro: Stone is already damaged so players can harvest some rock from it quickly, if they are in need of it.

edit: Cool prefab. Looking good.:thumb:

edit2: If you don't want to do a statue? maybe a indoor fountain? plus it would be a temp place to get some water. <- haha never mind about the fountain sug. I didn't read down far enough :D 

Edited by Tin (see edit history)

I think I have it guys. I used my artist's manikin to compose a human figure in "armor" and I think it looks pretty nice. I do like the idea of trying to carve something, but I'm pretty happy with this. I may experiment with carving and see if I make something better, but this looks cool for now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

59 minutes ago, Deverezieaux said:

I think I have it guys. I used my artist's manikin to compose a human figure in "armor" and I think it looks pretty nice. I do like the idea of trying to carve something, but I'm pretty happy with this. I may experiment with carving and see if I make something better, but this looks cool for now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looks great man well done 

Hi gang, *this version is unfinished, could I get a second set of eyes to do a walk through of the building and make sure I haven't neglected anything? 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T2jxHAKPR5Hnik38GLW_at5DUI3jH3T0/view?usp=sharing

I haven't added flavor damage, final loot, zombie volumes, dungeon paths, etc. This is just the straight, undamaged version of the building with furniture. I think everything the base building needs is there, but I keep coming across spots where I've missed little things like lights, signs, or furniture. The building has a mostly "open ceiling" plan so you'll see exposed conduit in places, and I may also add exposed duct work if I get feedback that would be cool. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

21 hours ago, Deverezieaux said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wow !, the iron giant.
A beautiful prefab to loot, thanks Deverezieaux.

25 minutes ago, Deverezieaux said:

Hi all, for anyone looking at the base prefab I updated the linked file with a version that has a complete vent/duct system. This is still not complete.

been thru it. 

great work on the ducts not many use the actual duct block lol. 

The statue looks good to :-). 

The only thing is the observation level. it is bare have you plans for that area or. But other then that it all looks good. Ofc you are to do damage and zs etc but at the point of the poi at moment wouldnt change it . 

Thanks so much for the feedback Stallion. The only thing I could think of for observation level was maybe a long desk or table, I’d welcome ideas. I may also use that as the main loot area, but that almost seems too obvious. Tomorrow I start with the damage & dungeon path. I’ll be saving an undamaged copy as I do with all my prefabs. 

1 hour ago, Deverezieaux said:

Thanks so much for the feedback Stallion. The only thing I could think of for observation level was maybe a long desk or table, I’d welcome ideas. I may also use that as the main loot area, but that almost seems too obvious. Tomorrow I start with the damage & dungeon path. I’ll be saving an undamaged copy as I do with all my prefabs. 

Well first thoughts was a telescope but i dont think that fit a govt building. 

Hi guys, did the dungeon path and am working on sleeper volumes. Quick question is there a hard limit or recommended limit on number of sleepers in a POI to prevent errors/performance issues? This is the largest POI I've built to date and want to make sure it functions smoothly.

4 hours ago, Deverezieaux said:

Hi guys, did the dungeon path and am working on sleeper volumes. Quick question is there a hard limit or recommended limit on number of sleepers in a POI to prevent errors/performance issues? This is the largest POI I've built to date and want to make sure it functions smoothly.

Not really a hard limit for poi but volume size needs to be set.  The game runs 255 alot. A chunk 255 x255x255 . Volumes should be set to what you are after.  Make sure you don't call more zs then what the volume max is and also make sure no 0 Volumes.

Trigger Volumes is where you use the group  id so zs in 1 spot trigger point elsewhere then ln the group id needs to match so 1 for the volume containing the zs and 1 for the spot the player walks that triggers the actual volume. The volume with the zs in it needs to have a min and max set the trigger volume needs to be min 0 max 0. make sure zombie groups match as well ie: soldier should be selected for trigger volume and z volume. 

But yeh keep in mind for what you are going for with zs that max alive is hard coded to 64 so if you have more then 64 the volume will respawn continuously til the volume max has been reached. 

So 255 zs in a volume is doable but probably shouldn't set at 255. Also when doing a volume set min max to below actual zs in volume this makes it so if a player goes thru your poi zs will spawn a certain number between min and max in certain spots the next time they go thru your poi they be in different spots so players can't memorise the zs position.. using min and max the same amount as what is in the volume is also ok in certain situations re going for as well.

So say zs in volume 50. Min 35 max 45 that will make it 5 zs in 5 spots won't spawn. But next play thru those 5 zs might spawn and others won't etc.

Remember tho each z not selected still needs to be loaded by game to be selected as well and this adds to memory usage etc. So zs in volume 255. Min 100 max 150, 255 zs still be loaded in game then the game selects number of zs it will spawn and select the spots the zs will spawn then actually spawn those selected.  This is all done without being seen by the player ofc.

Edited by stallionsden (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Deverezieaux said:

Thanks Laz. I actually sampled some of the courtroom assets from the Perishton POI for the large courtrooms in this POI. I also did a DMV and a holding center with jail cells, though those are different than the one from Perishton.

spacer.png

Nice to see people incorporating vent blocks.  Its a nice detail often missed.  The newer store POIs have some great examples on their use.