Help with understanding the EULA and modding

Hi all, I'm new to modding and I've been working on trying to make a mod that expands the turret system to involve new types. I don't want to do anything that may break the EULA when I'm working on the mod, however.

The licensing agreement in the EULA says I will agree not to: "Reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, prepare derivative works based on or otherwise modify the Software, in whole or in part;"

I would breach the EULA if I were to use a program like Asset Studio to get the models and textures for the Auto Turrets and other firearms, right? Using the models to try to create a new turret model would also breach the EULA to my understanding. Would any XML I do count as modification of the software? (I wouldn't assume so since its the backbone of a lot of mods I've seen)

Am I right in what I understand? Do the models and icons count as part of the software? I really don't want to do something I'm not supposed to. I'm not too experienced in modeling, but would it be better to try to make my own or should I just keep the regular models? Thank you for any help and I'm sorry if the question seems stupid.

On 4/6/2021 at 5:52 PM, Almond Milk said:

Hi all, I'm new to modding and I've been working on trying to make a mod that expands the turret system to involve new types. I don't want to do anything that may break the EULA when I'm working on the mod, however.

The licensing agreement in the EULA says I will agree not to: "Reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, prepare derivative works based on or otherwise modify the Software, in whole or in part;"

I would breach the EULA if I were to use a program like Asset Studio to get the models and textures for the Auto Turrets and other firearms, right? Using the models to try to create a new turret model would also breach the EULA to my understanding. Would any XML I do count as modification of the software? (I wouldn't assume so since its the backbone of a lot of mods I've seen)

Am I right in what I understand? Do the models and icons count as part of the software? I really don't want to do something I'm not supposed to. I'm not too experienced in modeling, but would it be better to try to make my own or should I just keep the regular models? Thank you for any help and I'm sorry if the question seems stupid.

@Roland

Roland might be best to answer your question as he has talked about this is the past.  I flagged him so hopefully he sees this topic (if he hasn't already seen it).

Edited by BFT2020
Fixed flag (see edit history)

On 4/6/2021 at 3:52 PM, Almond Milk said:

...with the intent to generate unauthorized copies of the game or pass off official content as your own or your own content as an official part of 7 Days to Die. 

You can mod the game files to create a modified version of the game as long as you offer your content free of charge, identify it as a mod to the base game, and don’t create a mod that is “stand alone”. As long as people still need to purchase the authorized game to play your mod there is no problem. 

Be aware that you also agree that all derivative work you do becomes the property of The Fun Pimps if they choose to exercise that option. Though...if they wanted your work that badly they would probably just hire you... 😜

In a world where people tend to ask for forgiveness rather than permission...thanks!